2014 Applications... waiting room.

BuddingScholar

Even though I didn't apply to any PhD programs this year, I can still feel the pain of those Berkeley rejections on the board. Is that some sort of blood-letting ritual? I remember--unfortunately, quite well--how that felt last year. I should add, however, that at least we saw a few acceptances last app season. Where are those blessed few?

Hang in there, my dear friends! Better news will soon arrive. (fingers crossed)

By any chance, did everyone who applied to CUNY get an invite to their breakfast reception at the CAA conference? The deadline has only just passed (relatively speaking) and it was a very generic email, indicating that it's a casual affair and open to everyone who applied. Given that I'm on the opposite side of the world at the moment and tied up with my job, I'm debating whether to reply and say thank you but apologies, etc. However this may appear conceited if the invite went to everyone... Help?!

I also received the email from CUNY about the CAA conference. I am really curious to know if everyone got it or not. I'm in pittsburgh, and the weather has been awful. I'm not in the financial position to fly out to Chicago if it's not serious. Also way to give us a full weeks notice on that one...

There's a Princeton Art Hist and Arch acceptance up - that's one of my courses I applied to. I'm already fairly sure Brown is a non-starter, so now I'm worried I've got 2 rejections :/ Nothing official yet of course, but it's not good for my health!

Edited by emmaatquoins

There's a Princeton Art Hist and Arch acceptance up - that's one of my courses I applied to. I'm already fairly sure Brown is a non-starter, so now I'm worried I've got 2 rejections :/ Nothing official yet of course, but it's not good for my health!

Same here! Do people think all acceptances are first delivered by phone via POI, or is there hope for more generalized email acceptances also?

Same here! Do people think all acceptances are first delivered by phone via POI, or is there hope for more generalized email acceptances also?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like such is the exception, not the rule. My understanding is that faculty can reach out if they're so inclined but the standard means of communication comes from the committee.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like such is the exception, not the rule. My understanding is that faculty can reach out if they're so inclined but the standard means of communication comes from the committee.

Thanks Augustinian! This is my first PhD application season and I'm not entirely familiar with these procedures. Hopefully we might all hear good news soon!

From what I understand it's way more common in the STEM fields to get that kind of contact. Not unusual for Art Historians, but way less common. Most of us will find out the standard way, I think.  I'm especially nervous as one of my POIs also happens to be the DGS. They're the best fit for me in the department by far, but it still makes me anxious! 

Just looking over posts from the past few years on the results board for Princeton, it looks like POIs tend to make contact either via phone or email beforehand to accepted students and then in 2-3 weeks or so, generalized emails are sent out for both acceptances and rejections?

Just looking over posts from the past few years on the results board for Princeton, it looks like POIs tend to make contact either via phone or email beforehand to accepted students and then in 2-3 weeks or so, generalized emails are sent out for both acceptances and rejections?

Hi jk! I was actually wondering whether the people who post their unofficial phone acceptances earlier on are the same ones who post official email acceptances later in the game? I'm nervous because I only have real POIs at one of my selected schools - I have contacted people at the other two institutions, but not to the point where I would expect to receive an actual phone call from any of them. So, I'm holding on to the hope that phone calls are optional and standard acceptances through email are more the norm!

Yes... Princeton professors, more often than not, let students know via phone or email of their acceptance before official emails arrive--it's a very nice touch. With that being said, most schools do not do that.

---- Can you imagine receiving a call from Hall Foster, out of nowhere, to let you know that he will be glad to have you work with him? I'd probably be: "yeah right...WHATEVER... stop f$#$^%& with me, dude!" and hang up the phone.  :o

Edited by brazilianbuddy

Yes... Princeton professors, more often than not, let students know via phone or email of their acceptance before official emails arrive--it's a very nice touch. With that being said, most schools do not do that.

---- Can you imagine receiving a call from Hall Foster, out of nowhere, to let you know that he will be glad to have you work with him? I'd probably be: "yeah right...WHATEVER... stop f$#$^%& with me, dude!" and hang up the phone.  :o

Hahaha totally! Needless to say I've been completely glued to my phone for the past 3 weeks!

Hi! Yeah, I'm trying to stay positive too. Princeton is my dream program, but some of the comments for the email acceptances do say that they were contacted weeks before via phone by POIs. Holding my breath though!

Hi jk! I was actually wondering whether the people who post their unofficial phone acceptances earlier on are the same ones who post official email acceptances later in the game? I'm nervous because I only have real POIs at one of my selected schools - I have contacted people at the other two institutions, but not to the point where I would expect to receive an actual phone call from any of them. So, I'm holding on to the hope that phone calls are optional and standard acceptances through email are more the norm!

Someone posted on yesterday's results search that they received an "unofficial" email acceptance from grad center at CUNY (in addition to the CAA invitation breakfast - which i believe every applicant received?). I just called the art history department and they said that they have just started looking at applications and that absolutely no decisions have been made so far. whoever posted that result, could you confirm?

Hi everyone wow I'm glad I'm not the only one who has just been having one long and constant panic attack for the last month.  

I was wondering if anyone else interviewed with University of Virginia who applied there? Last week I skyped with the two  professors that I would work with and I have no idea how many people they are doing that for.  They were SO nice and I really want to get accepted.

But just a reminder guys, everywhere has to notify us by April 1, so we have less than 2 months of this hell left!!!

Someone posted on yesterday's results search that they received an "unofficial" email acceptance from grad center at CUNY (in addition to the CAA invitation breakfast - which i believe every applicant received?). I just called the art history department and they said that they have just started looking at applications and that absolutely no decisions have been made so far. whoever posted that result, could you confirm?

thanks for making that call to CUNY! i too got the invitation, which i thought nothing of, but was worried after seeing that acceptance post. what CUNY told you makes sense since their deadline was just a few weeks ago. 

Anyone else get an acceptance/rejection from Indiana University - Bloomington? I'm not bragging but mine was the only one I've seen pop up on the results board so far.

Also, no magical Princeton phone call for me either.

Also, how awful would it be if potential POIs called you to give you your rejection? Haha..

Last year when I emailed someone to ask what was up, I got a very nice personal rejection from my POI...

Last year when I emailed someone to ask what was up, I got a very nice personal rejection from my POI...

And that's why I haven't emailed any of my POI at any school after submitting the apps. I'm terrified!!

that's a good option. it's difficult to just wait, isn't it?

what is driving me crazy is that my applications go through the IIE, so they are the ones with the passwords, etc., and the ones to be contacted by the schools. so i'm just sitting here staring at the computer with a sad face, hoping to hear from them!