2014 Applications... waiting room.

BuddingScholar

That toefl thing you're going through sounds so annoying! i was born outside the US too, but i think all my schools automatically waived TOEFL for me since i went to college in the US. None of my schools list it as an unmet requirement as far as i can tell, but same thing could happen to me.

what im going through is a couple of my schools are saying they haven't gotten my GRE score or my college transcript. I e-mailed all of them today after giving them 3-4 weeks to process the material. We'll see what they say. All the admission committees are probably getting a ton of emails right now so i don't expect the turnaround to be very quick.

I saw a couple of more art history posts on the results board. ahhhhh nerous!!

Same here... I was not born or raised in the US, but since I received my degree from an American school that requirement was automatically waived across the board.

By the way, has anyone who applied to UMass Amherst been able to check the status of his/her app yet? I ask because when I submitted my app a couple of weeks ago, my packet was still missing one of my LoRs. But now, I am not being able to check the status once the application was paid for and submitted. :unsure:

Hey. For anyone who applied to Williams, does your application say "under review" when you log in. Mine doesn't (yet) but I'm trying to determine whether that's an issue with my app or we're all in the same boat.

Mine (for Williams) doesn't It just has a submitted green checkmark, so I assume I'm okay. 

My TOEFL problem was because I was born abroad and haven't officially received my US degree (BA). Buuuut...I'm a US citizen, and grew up here. My native language is English, and I did school in the US k-12 and all four years of college. Even the schooling I had in another country (not the one I was born in) was completely done in English. I started before US schooling begins so I just repeated kindergarten. :/ I don't think I have this problem with anyone/where else. 

But I guess I'd better start checking just to make sure. *sigh* (It doesn't look like a problem anywhere else...) 

On the bright side I had a really great dream I was accepted to a program and at least no one's heard back from any place I've applied...

Edited by m-ttl

Just wanted to report that I am super excited for having received my first news... and a great one.

I received this email earlier today:

"Your application for admission to the Art History Graduate Program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison has been favorably reviewed by the Admissions Committee.  We have forwarded a recommendation to the Graduate School that you be accepted into the M.A. program."

Now I hope that the Graduate School will not go against the department's recommendation! I will not "fully" celebrate just yet.

After striking out last year, it certainly feels very good to receive such great news this early in the game.

I wish you all the same sort of news!

Just wanted to report that I am super excited for having received my first news... and a great one.

I received this email earlier today:

"Your application for admission to the Art History Graduate Program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison has been favorably reviewed by the Admissions Committee.  We have forwarded a recommendation to the Graduate School that you be accepted into the M.A. program."

Now I hope that the Graduate School will not go against the department's recommendation! I will not "fully" celebrate just yet.

After striking out last year, it certainly feels very good to receive such great news this early in the game.

I wish you all the same sort of news!

congrats!!

Congratulations, brazilianbuddy! That's certainly wonderful news. 

My one word of caution is that funding is a bit tenuous at Wisconsin. I say this as someone who was admitted to the MA program and offered funding, but ultimately went elsewhere. So be sure to be upfront with the department and your POI in particular about whatever concerns and hesitations you may have about funding. This isn't to detract from your acceptance, but to simply pass on the situation from last year's cycle. As an aside, it's highly doubtful that the Graduate School would turn down the recommendation of the department. 

Do you have a sense of with whom you'd like to study?

My one word of caution is that funding is a bit tenuous at Wisconsin. I say this as someone who was admitted to the MA program and offered funding, but ultimately went elsewhere. So be sure to be upfront with the department and your POI in particular about whatever concerns and hesitations you may have about funding. This isn't to detract from your acceptance, but to simply pass on the situation from last year's cycle. As an aside, it's highly doubtful that the Graduate School would turn down the recommendation of the department. 

Thank you for the heads-up! I came into this not expecting a whole lot of funding options (if any) for an MA degree, so I don't think I will be completely surprised if funding is less than stellar. But since there is nothing else that I want more in my life than to go to graduate school, I will have to bite the bullet if needed. My main criteria, at this point, is the department's placement record into top PhD programs and the adviser's area of expertise and research productivity. 

I do have a person I would like to work with (Jill Casid), but don't quite know how that's going to work yet. Visitation days are being scheduled for late February. So I guess, I won't really know until then.

Ugh I hate the words "Documents Pending." I know that the admin has to go in and change everyone's over manually but waaaaaah it's been a month and everything's already marked as waived or received, I just want to see the little notification saying "Application under consideration."

Lamantin, would it be okay if I PM'ed you?

Anyone trying to guess which schools will get back to you first? I wish we had reasonable guesstimates for every date. Getting jealous of everyone who's already heard back... also looking at search results hasn't helped. Apparently a lot of people get rejections on valentine's. Ouch. 

Anyone trying to guess which schools will get back to you first? I wish we had reasonable guesstimates for every date. Getting jealous of everyone who's already heard back... also looking at search results hasn't helped. Apparently a lot of people get rejections on valentine's. Ouch. 

I'm thinking probably California schools? All my CA schools had earlier deadlines than the east coast schools, so I'm guessing I'll hear back from at least one of them before the rest. who knows. you?

I applied to Bard Graduate Center (BGC) and submitted before the January 10th deadline. This is what I received from Dean Elena Pinto Simon:
"We begin reviews of all completed files later that week... Those who are invited to interview will be notified in mid-January; the interviews are in early February (i.e. the first week)."

It's technically after mid January... I'm getting more and more anxious, already survived the second-guessing phase (What if X or Y never made it?!) and started wondering if I did a poor job of not getting my hopes up.

I only applied to one school, positive that the BGC has the only program for me at this point in my life. I did poorly on the GREs, just barely making it over 300 total, but my recs are strong, my GPA is 3.8, I have honors and was in an accelerated program with original research for an honors thesis topic.

If I don't hear anything by the end of Friday, I'll allow myself to wonder if it's over... but still fairly confident and fingers crossed!

Did anyone else apply to the BGC? Anyone have an interview yet?

I applied to Bard Graduate Center (BGC) and submitted before the January 10th deadline. This is what I received from Dean Elena Pinto Simon:

"We begin reviews of all completed files later that week... Those who are invited to interview will be notified in mid-January; the interviews are in early February (i.e. the first week)."

It's technically after mid January... I'm getting more and more anxious, already survived the second-guessing phase (What if X or Y never made it?!) and started wondering if I did a poor job of not getting my hopes up.

I only applied to one school, positive that the BGC has the only program for me at this point in my life. I did poorly on the GREs, just barely making it over 300 total, but my recs are strong, my GPA is 3.8, I have honors and was in an accelerated program with original research for an honors thesis topic.

If I don't hear anything by the end of Friday, I'll allow myself to wonder if it's over... but still fairly confident and fingers crossed!

I applied (like I said elsewhere) and didn't get anything from them yet, actually. I visited informally and was less than impressed but admit I might be spoiled by my undergrad's on-site collections. If they reject me I'll assume it was because I didn't thank them for giving me an informal tour via email, and not because I was under qualified. You should also assume it isn't bc you're under qualified. They made it sound like some of their students had very little experience in the field, zero internships, etc. [[My stats are more or less equivalent I think. I have like a 3.6 overall but a 3.9 in my major + excellent recs, original research in dec arts/material culture, multiple internships/museum exhibition labels, horrid quant gre score... haha.]]  

It was a lovely area though, wonderful to walk around to the Met. I sincerely hope you get in, even if I don't. :) If it's not meant to be for me, no loss. 

I'm surprised you didn't apply to Winterthur! UDel was also on my list, but I applied to the main campus and not Winterthur directly. 

Edited by m-ttl

Hey, I applied to the BGC too and haven't heard yet either.

They might be running behind due to the blizzards/snowstorms that have been hitting them hard? I honestly thought we wouldn't hear back until the last week of january bc I thought their interviews were mid-late February.

They might be running behind due to the blizzards/snowstorms that have been hitting them hard? I honestly thought we wouldn't hear back until the last week of january bc I thought their interviews were mid-late February.

I applied (like I said elsewhere) and didn't get anything from them yet, actually. I visited informally and was less than impressed but admit I might be spoiled by my undergrad's on-site collections. If they reject me I'll assume it was because I didn't thank them for giving me an informal tour via email, and not because I was under qualified. You should also assume it isn't bc you're under qualified. They made it sound like some of their students had very little experience in the field, zero internships, etc. [[My stats are more or less equivalent I think. I have like a 3.6 overall but a 3.9 in my major + excellent recs, original research in dec arts/material culture, multiple internships/museum exhibition labels, horrid quant gre score... haha.]]  

It was a lovely area though, wonderful to walk around to the Met. I sincerely hope you get in, even if I don't. :) If it's not meant to be for me, no loss. 

I'm surprised you didn't apply to Winterthur! UDel was also on my list, but I applied to the main campus and not Winterthur directly. 

True, I didn't think of the blizzard factor. I took her email very literally and have been biting my nails since 1/15. When I checked their academic calendar, it has the MA applicant interviews listed as beginning February 3rd and ending February 7th. The PhD interviews are the following week(s).

I think I'll apply to Winterthur (and again to the BGC) next year if it doesn't work out this year. I picked the BGC for a number of reasons outside of the actual program, but I did fall in love with it when I visited and there are several professors whom I could work with.

I hope you get in too. Nice to know we're in this together. This website is a great space. Thanks so much for the input, and do stay current. I'll let you know if and when I receive word. Are you applying to the PhD or MA?

**Imagining a moment when we're all accepted and one of you gasps, "PoopCat, is that you?"**

Three deer came to my house this morning (and I live 5 minutes from the city centre), and I am sure it is a portent. Of what, I can not say. But meanwhile my UBC file status was just switched to "File Complete", and my Concordia app is still missing one lor.............(over two weeks after it was posted and faxed, frantically calling my referee)

http://hipster-avannaaniippoq.tumblr.com/post/74263310312/hjortene-pa-bes-k

Wheee I finally heard back from the person I'm interviewing with at my first school and apparently it's going to be very informal, so I don't have to worry about having my whole dissertation planned out in advance after all!

Just heard from the BGC via phone. Interviews are indeed taking place for MA applicants from Feb. 3-7. Woooohooo! Now I have to go prepare.

New round of worrying for me! Yay!

Edited by PoopCat1

Just heard from the BGC via phone. Interviews are indeed taking place for MA applicants from Feb. 3-7. Woooohooo! Now I have to go prepare.

New round of worrying for me! Yay!

I got a call too! but their message didn't go through and I'm at work.** :/ Had to check the # they called from but I knew it was them when I saw the area code. Sadly I don't get off work until 5 PM PST so it will have to wait until tomorrow. Scheduling interviews is going to be tricky, ahaha.

**I'm allowed to be on my tablet but not my phone, and I work the front desk so I have long stretches of time to "do homework" or refresh the forums, haha.

Edited by m-ttl