2014 Applications... waiting room.

BuddingScholar

Mentions here & among other places of top candidates being contacted, people receiving interviews at places I didn't think interviewed at all (interviews weren't mentioned in other cycles)... one school has decisions dropping in early feb, and never changed my application to read as "complete" (it's a manual change, everything is actually IN. They fixed my TOEFL issue I mentioned earlier in the thread, but still haven't marked me as complete) and I'm suspecting at this point they've rejected me and decided not to bother marking my application as complete or under review.

I'm almost tempted to just email them outright and ask if my application was reviewed at all. :/ I paid an exorbitant amount of money for that fee.

It's certainly pessimistic of me, but at the same time, what gives?

Is that for your northwestern app? SAME thing happened to me. It said incomplete due to TOEFL...which I wouldn't need. All of the interviews and acceptances have me freaking out. I refresh my email every 2 minutes. That is not an exaggeration.

Is that for your northwestern app? SAME thing happened to me. It said incomplete due to TOEFL...which I wouldn't need. All of the interviews and acceptances have me freaking out. I refresh my email every 2 minutes. That is not an exaggeration.

I was trying to be vague but yeah. I actually emailed at the BEGINNING of Jan to correct the TOEFL issues and they fixed it for me manually after I confirmed I was a native english speaker/US citizen who had the misfortune of being born abroad... 

But the app still reads "incomplete" despite EVERYTHING being in. I'm pretty sure I'll be rejected at this point. It was sort of a crap shot to begin with, I hadn't intended to apply to 7 schools, much less NU, but met a PhD student who convinced me to apply last minute. It's a good fit (GREAT fit who am I kidding) for what I want, but... No request for an interview! I didn't even know they did them. I emailed my POI a while back (dec.) and got a response; but still feel like I'm waiting on a rejection right off the bat. 

PhD student had a ton of faith in me buuuut... students sadly, aren't on the adcom. Too bad! I guess this means I have to put 150% into my BGC interview upcoming!! I really want to get in there, and loved the city when I visited. Let me know if you're feeling brave enough to email Mr. Fidler and ask why the applications don't read "in review" or w/e. I feel like I've A.) already emailed a few times over the TOEFL and B.) like it means I got cut or never reviewed. :(

The only thing that's made me feel better about it today is a curator/previous supervisor emailed me asking if I wanted to help research for an upcoming exhibition. It's not in my area of focus at all, but it'll be a great opportunity and she's been so wonderful with me. Plus I'll be working with a sub-interest (a lot of print related things for me this year, by no purposeful plans of my own). 

tumblr_inline_n08vfbs0vf1rklis5.png

waiting for this to happen, basically. 

Edited by m-ttl

I feel like we are in similar situations. I wasn't going to apply, but my advisor graduated from NU and suggested it. I'm going to email them and see what happens. Not that I'm feeling hopeful I'll get into anything at this point. I also applied to seven schools and only had one interview...and it was one that you ask for on their website. I just want answers!!

Good luck on your interview and the research for the exhibition!

I feel like we are in similar situations. I wasn't going to apply, but my advisor graduated from NU and suggested it. I'm going to email them and see what happens. Not that I'm feeling hopeful I'll get into anything at this point. I also applied to seven schools and only had one interview...and it was one that you ask for on their website. I just want answers!!

Good luck on your interview and the research for the exhibition!

Thanks! Let me know what they respond w/ in the email, if you don't mind! It can be by PM. 

((ETA: Well on the bright side, we're not competing for the same spots at NU anyways ;) )) 

Edited by m-ttl

FYI for those of you concerned about Northwestern: I called the Northwestern Art History department this morning because I noticed my application also said that it was incomplete due to a TOEFL. They fixed it manually right away and they also said that all applications have been reviewed even if they were marked as incomplete. They also said that interviews are sometimes a part of the admission process for some people, but not a requirement for admission, so if you didn't get an interview it doesn't necessarily mean that you were not accepted.

FYI for those of you concerned about Northwestern: I called the Northwestern Art History department this morning because I noticed my application also said that it was incomplete due to a TOEFL. They fixed it manually right away and they also said that all applications have been reviewed even if they were marked as incomplete. They also said that interviews are sometimes a part of the admission process for some people, but not a requirement for admission, so if you didn't get an interview it doesn't necessarily mean that you were not accepted.

I wish that made me feel better. :( 

But I did reserve a room for my BGC interview I can use which will hopefully go well. 

Anyone have experience with being offered admission to a school's MA program instead of the applied-for PhD, with the understanding of reevaluation in two years? Know of anyone who has successfully transitioned into their PhD program after such an arrangement?

(Super excited my first response wasn't a "no", even if it wasn't quite what I had hoped for. Positive thoughts, everyone!)

Edited by festina lente

Anyone have experience with being offered admission to a school's MA program instead of the applied-for PhD, with the understanding of reevaluation in two years? Know of anyone who has successfully transitioned into their PhD program after such an arrangement?

(Super excited my first response wasn't a "no", even if it wasn't quite what I had hoped for. Positive thoughts, everyone!)

Yes, I know of a couple of people who have had similar experiences. In one case, it was simply because the school was not in the habit of accepting undergraduate students directly into their PhD, seuf a select few, of course. This seems to be the case with schools in Canada, for example. They offered the student full funding though.

The other student was offered a similar deal, but without funding for his MA. The condition was that if he did well throughout his MA, then they would fund his PhD studies. I know of some schools in the US (Temple, for example) where students are given the option to apply to a "Masters with intention to continue into PhD." In those cases, I've heard that students have successfully transitioned into their PhD.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, if they don't fund your MA, then they don't seem very committed to you. Take this with a grain of salt though, I don't really know your situation. Have they explained to you why they wouldn't take you straight into their PhD?

By the way, would you feel comfortable sharing which school offered that? Of course, I understand if you don't. Feel free to PM me if you would like.

In any case, I think it is great that they didn't rejected you outright. I'd be happy with an offer like that too.

Congratulations! Best of luck with the remaining applications. :)

I am enrolled in a PhD program at an institution that has an MA program either as a one year full time, or two year part time terminal degree in the Humanities, with a possible concentration in Art History. They tend to offer a place in that program to people who have applied to the PhD but may not have made the final cut. The program itself is excellent and very rigorous. You will definitely be prepared much better for PhD work. That said, it is generally not fully funded and not exactly cheap. But your chances of being accepted into a PhD program with an MA degree in hand are much higher at most institutions. While there is no guarantee here at my institution to move from the MA degree into the PhD program, it does happen occasionally, sometimes with a break of a couple of years. And you will most definitely have a much better writing sample for future PhD applications etc pp. 

I am enrolled in a PhD program at an institution that has an MA program either as a one year full time, or two year part time terminal degree in the Humanities, with a possible concentration in Art History. They tend to offer a place in that program to people who have applied to the PhD but may not have made the final cut. The program itself is excellent and very rigorous. You will definitely be prepared much better for PhD work. That said, it is generally not fully funded and not exactly cheap. But your chances of being accepted into a PhD program with an MA degree in hand are much higher at most institutions. While there is no guarantee here at my institution to move from the MA degree into the PhD program, it does happen occasionally, sometimes with a break of a couple of years. And you will most definitely have a much better writing sample for future PhD applications etc pp. 

I would certainly wait to hear if the MA admit has funding, etc. Personally if I got accepted into a UChi MAPH-like MA I would have to pass on it, no matter how rigorous the coursework was. That said, if you potentially have funding for the MA or think the reevaluation in two years is financially worth it, I would go for it!

...Anyone else keep having Acceptance/Rejection dreams? Not sure if they're prophetic or not. 

I would certainly wait to hear if the MA admit has funding, etc. Personally if I got accepted into a UChi MAPH-like MA I would have to pass on it, no matter how rigorous the coursework was. That said, if you potentially have funding for the MA or think the reevaluation in two years is financially worth it, I would go for it!

...Anyone else keep having Acceptance/Rejection dreams? Not sure if they're prophetic or not. 

I literally had a dream last night that I got three acceptance letters. In reality, I haven't heard anything at all yet. It's torture. 

I literally had a dream last night that I got three acceptance letters. In reality, I haven't heard anything at all yet. It's torture. 

I've had three separate dreams -- two acceptances to my top PhD programs, and 1 rejection to an MA (for, in dream, absurd reasons that made absolutely no sense). Of course, I haven't heard anything yet, either... 

We've had this conversation before, and you've made that point before. I'm interested in why you feel the way you do, actually. We'll assume that finances are not the point (obviously, if they are, then that's that). But I am curious as to why you seem to feel that a non-funded MA is an inevitably bad choice. Partly, it's because I benefited so much from MAPH (quite aside from it having been crucial to PhD admissions), but also because I've seen so many other successes both academic and non-academic that the program fostered. 

We've had this conversation before, and you've made that point before. I'm interested in why you feel the way you do, actually. We'll assume that finances are not the point (obviously, if they are, then that's that). But I am curious as to why you seem to feel that a non-funded MA is an inevitably bad choice. Partly, it's because I benefited so much from MAPH (quite aside from it having been crucial to PhD admissions), but also because I've seen so many other successes both academic and non-academic that the program fostered. 

....Because I'm poor?? For other people, it might be a GREAT idea. I know MAPH is heavily beneficial and would be academically rigorous. That doesn't mean taking on that debt is always a wise choice for everyone. 

You can't divorce money from the point for someone who lives on the poverty line. I cannot, in any reasonable, sensible state of mind attend a program which does not fund me. Why? Because my mother struggles, because I work two jobs and still can't afford my undergraduate degree so I have (gov't) loans in which to feed, clothe, and educate myself. I am not begrudging other people who have money, I am just being cognizant of the fact that I cannot continue to fund myself in that way (with loans, etc). Two years for a MA, say at about $30,000 a year (never mind living expenses, what have you) would put me over $100,000 in student loans debt. I'm passionate about what I do and want to go to graduate school, but I'm not insane. If it doesn't work out, I could maybe try again in a year (if I manage to find a new job, my current ones are student only) or two, but if a second round doesn't cut it, I can't keep trying. 

But I am not every single person, which is why I said:

That said, if you potentially have funding for the MA or think the reevaluation in two years is financially worth it, I would go for it!

I'm not really sure what your issue is here? If people can make that financial choice - if they have the money available to do pay for it, what do I care? That's fantastic! An MA with a re-eval into the PhD program sounds like a great opportunity if it's financially feasible for the person who got in! If I got offered that and thought I could: 1.) fund myself 2.) they'd fund me or 3.) I could handle more loans, I would be pretty enthused.  However, my EFC for last year was something like $36, which meant the government thought my mom could maybe scrounge up $40 for me to go to school with. This is perhaps why I'm more stingy than other folks might be. 

It's also why I clarified. I'm sure there are lots of successes to be had for students who pay their way through an MA, who have the money, or borrow the money, or whatever. This is great for them, and if that's the opportunity you get, and you can take it, it's awesome. I do not wish to take away from this success. 

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people, so every "unfunded MA" program is stamped with a cautionary: "Academic Success doesn't matter if you're drowning in debt for the rest of your life." Money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure as hell buys food, shelter, doctor's visits, clothes, and security. My perspective is vastly different from most of the fellow art historians I've met, and I'd wager, a good chunk of people on this thread. When your family offers to pay the fee to apply to your top choice, and you consider telling them they shouldn't because you know that $80 could be your brother's school lunches, supplies, snacks, or christmas present, you start to think about paying for things on your own a little differently. 

At any rate, when schools had the option to say "Please don't accept me if you can't fund me" I checked that box. An acceptance without funding is a rejection for me. 

Edited by m-ttl

"At any rate, when schools had the option to say "Please don't accept me if you can't fund me" I checked that box. An acceptance without funding is a rejection for me. "

(sorry, too computer dumb to use the quote box right)

I'm actually curious about this because I'm in a similar position financially but didn't check that box. Do you think that affects an ability to get funding?

I too will not be attending any institution that cannot fully fund me (and give a reasonable stipend). I'm also applying for MA programs, but my reasoning was that it'd be helpful (or maybe self-gratifying?) to know that event if I couldn't feasibly attend, I wasn't being rejected for academic reasons. I emailed one of the departments after-the-fact to clarify that I wanted to know my options, but in all likelihood would not go anywhere without funding, but they never got back to me.

But yes, admission w/o funding for me might as well be a rejection. No fun for your education options to be based on something so beyond your control.

Edited by curiositykilledthecat

Actually had a dream last night I was accepted into my top choice program. In the dream I woke up, checked my email, saw the acceptance did a little dance in bed then went back to sleep...I woke up and thought it was real haha checked my email to find only some Pinterest updates. >_<

"At any rate, when schools had the option to say "Please don't accept me if you can't fund me" I checked that box. An acceptance without funding is a rejection for me. "

(sorry, too computer dumb to use the quote box right)

I'm actually curious about this because I'm in a similar position financially but didn't check that box. Do you think that affects an ability to get funding?

I too will not be attending any institution that cannot fully fund me (and give a reasonable stipend). I'm also applying for MA programs, but my reasoning was that it'd be helpful (or maybe self-gratifying?) to know that event if I couldn't feasibly attend, I wasn't being rejected for academic reasons. I emailed one of the departments after-the-fact to clarify that I wanted to know my options, but in all likelihood would not go anywhere without funding, but they never got back to me.

But yes, admission w/o funding for me might as well be a rejection. No fun for your education options to be based on something so beyond your control.

I don't know if it affects it, but I wanted to save myself the trouble of getting my hopes up if schools weren't going to fund me at all, but still accepted me. I'd rather get rejected and pretend it was because of finances. 

I'd love to get in to schools and not have to worry about it, but at the end of the day, I'm still poor as dirt. :( I can really hope they'll accept me and give me enough money. 

The reason I'm looking abroad to the US is that there's so little funding in the UK. This time last year, I was accepted to Oxford to take my PhD. I think there was only funding from the AHRC (Arts and Humanities Research Council) for one PhD student in that intake in the end. I was so happy when I got the letter, but a few weeks later I had to decline the place, because I couldn't fund it. They may as well have rejected me straight away - before I could start the course, I had to prove I had (or would have) just under £70k (so about $110k) to fund it; as I'd just finished my Masters, I had no idea where they thought I'd be getting that money from...

As someone else upthread said, it's not fun having your education determined by something that you have no control over.

That's rather horrible. In that light I find the US PhD model much more sensible, where most programs only admit as many (as a maximum) as they are able to fully fund. Sometimes, even fewer are admitted in a given year.