2014 Applications... waiting room.

BuddingScholar

jumping in on that group hug!

well, after seeing those acceptances and then a week had gone by, not too much of a surprise anyhow. Four to go!

I have ten to go. I thought having an acceptance under my belt would take the sting out of the rejections. It's still pretty painful. It's going to be a fun next couple of months.

Yeah, I'm just going to assume, at this point, if a school has already sent out acceptances, then mine's a rejection, so the four left are schools that have yet to contact anyone according to the results page...It's going to be a painful week.  

I have ten to go. I thought having an acceptance under my belt would take the sting out of the rejections. It's still pretty painful. It's going to be a fun next couple of months.

All three were MA apps. Yikes, keeping my fingers crossed... Thanks!

Rutgers results came out today... Super excited for having been accepted. Do you mind me asking which is your top choice school? Feel free to PM me.

It looks like we are all competing for the hist of photo spot?

Rutgers results came out today... Super excited for having been accepted. Do you mind me asking which is your top choice school? Feel free to PM me.

Huh. Rutgers was one of the schools that gave me a ton of trouble submitting things. I have no decision rendered yet, but also I won't be surprised if I'm rejected because of it. (Recommenders had to fax recommendations, no contact from the school when asked for help, etc etc)

Huh. Rutgers was one of the schools that gave me a ton of trouble submitting things. I have no decision rendered yet, but also I won't be surprised if I'm rejected because of it. (Recommenders had to fax recommendations, no contact from the school when asked for help, etc etc)

Rutgers doesn't accept everyone at once. The acceptances will come scattered throughout the next few months, and the rejections will likely not come until much later.

Good news may still be on the way. Best of luck!

Here is a question maybe some of you could help me with or have some experience with:

Would it be strange to email current students at universities I have not received offers from (yet!), to ask about their general experiences/opinions/likes and dislikes about their program? I only applied to MAs, but I still think it would be beneficial to hear about the sorts of activities and opportunities they have from the experience of the people actually pursuing them, as well as their general thoughts on how the department functions (administratively, how it supports its students' independent research in some highly specialized areas, any idiosyncrasies). Of course, I have been in good contact with poi, but especially with Master's studies, I get the impression they may not always be so in-touch with students' actual experiences with some things.

I think I would only email students who are working with topics and questions close to mine, and certainly only ones that list their email on their university page. But maybe, since it is so late in the season (Results Page tells me I could expect news starting this week and ending in May...), it doesn't really make sense? What does everyone think?

Here is a question maybe some of you could help me with or have some experience with:

Would it be strange to email current students at universities I have not received offers from (yet!), to ask about their general experiences/opinions/likes and dislikes about their program? I only applied to MAs, but I still think it would be beneficial to hear about the sorts of activities and opportunities they have from the experience of the people actually pursuing them, as well as their general thoughts on how the department functions (administratively, how it supports its students' independent research in some highly specialized areas, any idiosyncrasies). Of course, I have been in good contact with poi, but especially with Master's studies, I get the impression they may not always be so in-touch with students' actual experiences with some things.

I think I would only email students who are working with topics and questions close to mine, and certainly only ones that list their email on their university page. But maybe, since it is so late in the season (Results Page tells me I could expect news starting this week and ending in May...), it doesn't really make sense? What does everyone think?

While I think it is certainly a good idea to speak with current students to get a sense of the program, I wonder if it may be better, at this point, for you to wait for the results first.

without a doubt -- wait until you've heard back from the school before reaching out to current students. 

unless you're already friends with them, emailing current students while decisions are pending (particularly at this late stage) is really bad form for several reasons, (a) it might come off like you're fishing for information, and indeed, oftentimes departments make known internally who they've accepted weeks before sending out official rejections to everyone else, and (b.) you might very well be wasting someone's time

having said that, once you're in the process of making a decision with acceptances in hand, by all means do reach out to current students. but i'd recommend asking more specific and directed questions, rather than asking a student to give you his/her general impressions of the department.

Edited by qwer7890

without a doubt -- wait until you've heard back from the school before reaching out to current students. 

Absolutely agree. I have had some great candid conversations about various schools with current and former students from places I applied, but these people are close friends of mine and have no vested interest in seeing me rejected. I would sit on my hands if I had to in order to avoid seeming too eager. Not that there is anything wrong with being eager, you'd think that would make one look like a fantastic applicant, but these fickle admissions decisions aren't logical. 

Congrats, brazilianbuddy! Happy to report I got an acceptance for the MA at Rutgers yesterday. Really excited to have this program as an option!

Has anyone had the problem of a school noting that their application status is "applied after deadline"? I sent in my application to one school before the deadline but one of my recommendation letters didn't get there until after the deadline and I'm a little worried.  Any thoughts?