Applying to your Alma Mater

MN111

Is anyone applying to their alma mater?  Isn't it a weird feeling knowing that your current professors are not only your professors but also the admissions committee which holds the decision if you get accepted into a program? 

Yep, except I already know with near-certainty that I'll be rejected. But that was the plan, so no worries.

Same here. I just graduated from my undergrad institution last June, and I've already been told by a professor of mine (who's also a LOR writer for me) that "I have seen several students even at your level be denied from the grad program here." He's not part of the adcomm though. I did find out though, an old professor who just had it out for me (and threatened to fail me on no basis) last year is part of the adcomm. It cheered me the hell up. But you know what, you put your best foot forward anyway.

Edited by gk210

You all seem to be handling it really well! I'm very nervous about it.  Three of the four professors who decide if I get in or not are on my committee for my Honor's Thesis.  I'll be crushed if I get rejected.  

I am! I even work daily with two people that are on the admissions committee... It's kind of awkward. I heard a whisper about a couple of people receiving interview invitations for my program; it's very difficult to continue to work alongside the people who decide something so important without being tempted to ask about your application...

I think I would be more anxious about if I were actually still attending the school or at least working there. I'm four years out, though, and most of the grad students I worked with as an undergrad have graduated. I can see why it's awkward/anxiety-inducing for you guys!

Yes, it was my top choice. I applied to work with the professor I've been closely working with for the last two years (still to this day as a post-bac). I've been in his lab for two years, his TA, he was my thesis chair, and we've published together twice. He told me numerous times that my work was better than that of some of his PhD students, and that I'm more reliable, responsible, etc. I've been talking to him about working with him for my PhD for about a year now. I called the administrative assistant a few days ago to find out that everyone he is interviewing has already been contacted. I wasn't expecting anything, but it definitely hurts worse than all other rejections combined...not exactly sure what went wrong :mellow:

Yes, it was my top choice. I applied to work with the professor I've been closely working with for the last two years (still to this day as a post-bac). I've been in his lab for two years, his TA, he was my thesis chair, and we've published together twice. He told me numerous times that my work was better than that of some of his PhD students, and that I'm more reliable, responsible, etc. I've been talking to him about working with him for my PhD for about a year now. I called the administrative assistant a few days ago to find out that everyone he is interviewing has already been contacted. I wasn't expecting anything, but it definitely hurts worse than all other rejections combined...not exactly sure what went wrong :mellow:

I'm unsure as to what "everyone he is interviewing has already been contacted" means. If it means that you have a legitimate rejection, then I am sorry to hear that.

If, on the other hand, it means that he has contacted everyone he is considering but has not made a selection, then I would think that you were still in the running. The main purpose of interviews is to get to know the person applying better, something that is not necessary in your case considering how long he has known you.

I might try to be more optimistic still and consider that you have not been completely rejected. :) 

You probably know this, but it's worth noting in case others reading don't: many, many professors and programs prefer not to admit their own students.

The biggest reason for this is cross-fertilization of ideas; the theory is that it is better to pull in graduate students who have had other perspectives taught to them, to keep things "fresher." The follow-up to this is that many hiring committees will wonder whether a student who got a PhD from the same school as her undergraduate degree has been exposed to a sufficiently broad number of approaches.  Importantly, this means that many schools will shy away from admitting their own students "for their own good" (and also with an eye toward the program's hiring statistics) -- if it could be an impediment to getting you placed, they will think twice about doing it.

Certainly, not all programs and professors think this way -- some think it is downright stupid.  But if you applied to your own school, where you are a superstar, and you are not accepted, keep in mind that it may not be your fault!

I too have heard that most programs prefer NOT to admit their own students for the reasons listed above. 

That being said, I know multiple students who did get accepted to their alma maters, so obviously it's not set in stone.

I applied to my Alma Mater, but to a different program than what I majored in so I've never taken a class with any of the professors and haven't even met all but one. My POI used to my undergrad advisor a few years back, but that didn't seem like a big deal because we just talked a few times, but I never even took a class with them or anything.

So that's probably a little different. I admit that I didn't want to apply to the program where I majored in partly because I didn't want to be around all the same professors... or be rejected by the professors I worked with and then feel really bad about it.

But I'd definitely consider going if I were accepted. I also applied to a master's program in one of my major fields, so I know more people there, but especially since it's just a master's I think it might actually help for it to be my alma mater and where I already live, so maybe I could keep my job and my current contacts, yet still work with plenty of new professors.

Wow guys! A lot of really good points brought up here! Firstly, I would never want to attend my undergrad school for grad school. I am looking forward to a fresh start and moving on and upward.

The one thing I have to say in regards to ck926 is that in my opinion your POI whom you've been working with and been taking advice from should have been very upfront with you and actually "advised" you to apply elsewhere. I think it is an awful thing of them to give you all this false hope and not have the decency to tell you upfront why you should apply elsewhere and why they don't like taking their own students. But, I have a feeling that you are not out of the runnings, based on what I've read in this thread.

SP30

Hey ck926. Do you think he hasn't interviewed you because he knows you already (so, what's the point of an interview)? I don't know how this works, but I would think it would be weird to do the one-on-one interview with someone you've worked with closely for 2 years. Does your school do the pre-screen interview by faculty then invite to larger interview sctick? Maybe he just skipped that part for you? It seems weird that he wouldn't have said anything if he wasn't going to accept you.

Hey ck926. Do you think he hasn't interviewed you because he knows you already (so, what's the point of an interview)? I don't know how this works, but I would think it would be weird to do the one-on-one interview with someone you've worked with closely for 2 years. Does your school do the pre-screen interview by faculty then invite to larger interview sctick? Maybe he just skipped that part for you? It seems weird that he wouldn't have said anything if he wasn't going to accept you.

I really hope that is the case, but I honestly don't think so :/ As far as I know, he would still have to interview me as a "formality". Also, I assume there would be other faculty members I would have to interview with aside from him. When I called to ask about interview invitations, I was told that if he doesn't like anyone he interviews this time around, he can contact me later for a Skype interview. She didn't know my personal situation with him, but it just does not look good :/ I will see him at our lab meeting next week, so hopefully I will get some answers then. Thank you for your input :)

i'm in the same boat as a few posters above -- did my masters somewhere else, and applying for my PhD.

looks like they're reviewing my application favourably, though. i've already interviewed with two profs at my alma mater, though i never took classes with either of them.