Schools are already making decisions?!?

lucerovespertino

Maybe I'm a newb, but I thought for sure that Ph.D programs didn't make any decisions until March. If anything, I felt a late February response was the best I could hope for. And yet I see toooooons of posts about decisions already up. I haven't heard from any of my 7 schools, and although I keep telling myself that no news is better than bad news, I'm getting increasingly nervous. Does this mean I'm waitlisted? Or do different programs have different deadlines? I've only seen a couple of Ph.D status posts in my field (Education), so maybe they take longer? 

Different fields start sending out admits at different times so don't freak out! This is definitely still early. You can search for the schools and field you applied to on the results search and see if they have sent any news yet, but even if they have it doesn't mean you're out. That will also give you a sense of when you might hear (although, I am sure it varies by year). Just relax and wait, and I hope you hear something soon!

Hey I got the same Problem..I am applying for Electrical Engineering Phd..but I havent been called to an interview. That makes me nervous like hell. Two classmates of my same masters School, aplied last year to EE phd program and they got accepted in Illinois and Berkley, respectively..both told..me they got their first interview Invitation around the 19th January..sop..I guess I am not a first choice..waiting list..star looking something in Europe..?

Yeah... I don't know anyone who has applied to an Education Ph.D, so I have zero timeline references. My friend in Psych got notified in January, as well as my sister when she applied to law. My friend in Anthropology got contacted the first week of February. I've been searching the results from last year, but it seems like not a lot of people in the Education field use TheGradCafe.

Just my luck! Trying to relax is not easy. 

I just got accepted to UB's behavioral neuroscience PhD. I cannot believe the acceptance came so quick, my interview is not until the 6th/7th of February. However, my undergraduate PI is an "associated faculty" member of the program. I believe she put in an extremely good word for me coupled with three letters of recommendation from UCSD (which is #1 for behavioral neuroscience) may have been enough for them to accept me.

It does take all the pressure off the entire process. 

Last year I applied for 4 PhD programs in Education (and mostly struck out...). Anyway, I learned that they get back late. I mean REALLY late compared to most fields. I was hearing back end of March beginning of April. I think I heard back from my last one around April 13!

Lots of disciplines (especially Psychology) have an interview stage that Ed PhDs do not have. That's why the process seems to be happening so much quicker for them.

So hang in there and good luck!

Most of the results I've been seeing are for straight STEM fields. I'm in Anthro and for my Masters it took till the beginning of March. I'm going off of a relative timeline based on app deadlines (based on previous applications since I'm going for the phd this round).

From all schools I applied to, it took approximately 1 1/2 months for a reply and none of my schools do interviews (that I'm aware of). Therefore, a Dec 1 deadline puts you at the beginning of February (gotta account for the break), Jan 15 puts you at beginning of March, and so on.

I might just be making up bullshit in my head but I hate waiting, need structure in my life, and I am seriously losing my mind.

Last year I applied for 4 PhD programs in Education (and mostly struck out...). Anyway, I learned that they get back late. I mean REALLY late compared to most fields. I was hearing back end of March beginning of April. I think I heard back from my last one around April 13!

Lots of disciplines (especially Psychology) have an interview stage that Ed PhDs do not have. That's why the process seems to be happening so much quicker for them.

So hang in there and good luck!

From what I am learning, it appears that applicants receive rejection notifications around March, but receive interviews/acceptance notifications earlier. Were the responses you received in March and April rejections?

My very last notification was actually an acceptance... but all of the programs I heard from released acceptances and rejections within the same week.

Hey I got the same Problem..I am applying for Electrical Engineering Phd..but I havent been called to an interview. That makes me nervous like hell. Two classmates of my same masters School, aplied last year to EE phd program and they got accepted in Illinois and Berkley, respectively..both told..me they got their first interview Invitation around the 19th January..sop..I guess I am not a first choice..waiting list..star looking something in Europe..?

Hey Delia, just wonder if it's necessary to get interviewed for those schools before getting admitted. Have you seen anybody who got admitted without being interviewed? I'm in the same boat and really worried about my status :(

So if people are hearing back from schools I applied to but I haven't heard anything... does that mean I'm out? At what point can I just abandon all hope and stop waiting eagerly for a letter? :(

So if people are hearing back from schools I applied to but I haven't heard anything... does that mean I'm out? At what point can I just abandon all hope and stop waiting eagerly for a letter? :(

Just remember notifications are made by department not schools, so it'll depend on your specific program. If people have already heard from the department you applied to that might mean you're out, but not necessarily. Some departments notify accepted students at different times, especially if notifications are coming directly from POIs rather than the DGS. 

If you can't find anything specific to your school i'd think at least looking at the degree/field would help.  maybe just sort by education/phd and see when in general things come out.  there are usually two or three waves of interviews/acceptances and certain schools group together too.  the field generally operates on the same timeline with a few outliers I'd think.