Education Ph.D or Ed.D (Fall 2014) Applicants

lucerovespertino

Hi everyone! New to this message board and also waiting in angst for the decisions to come rolling through. Int'l applicant from Hong Kong here!

Applied to six schools: rejected from two (Stanford RILE, Harvard CIS - being considered for MA in IEP), accepted to EdD at Boston U w/ full tuition and 20K stipend. So grateful for that! Awaiting Columbia CIE, NYU SOED and Berkeley LLC.

Anyone else heard heard from NYU or Berkeley? Haven't seen much convo about them.

New to this board.  Anyone else waiting to hear from Nebraska (Lincoln)?  I applied to the Language, Literacy, & Culture stream.  Anyone get into USF's SLA/IT (SLATE)?  I got in but they're screwing around in terms of funding.  Waiting for the official word from Louisiana (not Ed, though).  

New to this board. Anyone else waiting to hear from Nebraska (Lincoln)? I applied to the Language, Literacy, & Culture stream. Anyone get into USF's SLA/IT (SLATE)? I got in but they're screwing around in terms of funding. Waiting for the official word from Louisiana (not Ed, though).

I emailed the grad secretary for Educational Leadership and she said they're going to start looking over applications today and decisions should be made by the end of March.

I emailed the grad secretary for Educational Leadership and she said they're going to start looking over applications today and decisions should be made by the end of March.

Sweet.  My POI says I should hear by March 15th, but that seems so far away...

Sweet.  My POI says I should hear by March 15th, but that seems so far away...

I keep checking GAMES and MyRED hoping my status will change from submitted to under review but it hasn't happened yet. I hate these March decisions!

Two people reported acceptance to the Social Research Methodology PhD program at UCLA.

I got rejected from that program earlier this week.

Hi everyone! New to this message board and also waiting in angst for the decisions to come rolling through. Int'l applicant from Hong Kong here!

Applied to six schools: rejected from two (Stanford RILE, Harvard CIS - being considered for MA in IEP), accepted to EdD at Boston U w/ full tuition and 20K stipend. So grateful for that! Awaiting Columbia CIE, NYU SOED and Berkeley LLC.

Anyone else heard heard from NYU or Berkeley? Haven't seen much convo about them.

Still waiting for NYU and Berkeley as well. (different programs though)

Well... I'm officially out of the PhD game for 2014. No acceptances, unfortunately. I hope that everyone else gets in, but if not, I will see you on the 2015 version of this forum! Onward and upward.

Well... I'm officially out of the PhD game for 2014. No acceptances, unfortunately. I hope that everyone else gets in, but if not, I will see you on the 2015 version of this forum! Onward and upward.

:(

That happened to me last year. It sucked. Then I had an entire year to regroup, visit programs, meet people, and actually read books I wasn't assigned to read. Bonne chance!

Still waiting for NYU and Berkeley as well. (different programs though)

I'm not sure how coordinated the different programs at Steinhardt are, but I heard back from them about a week ago (got waitlisted).

:(

That happened to me last year. It sucked. Then I had an entire year to regroup, visit programs, meet people, and actually read books I wasn't assigned to read. Bonne chance!

Same happened to me last year as well. Indeed it sucked for a little bit but I enjoyed the break and took the extra time to prepare and focus on this years applications. Keep it pushing.

I'm not sure how coordinated the different programs at Steinhardt are, but I heard back from them about a week ago (got waitlisted).

That's good news though, right? I still haven't heard from them but I already got accepted to my first choice and I'm leaning heavily towards them unless one of the schools I applied to makes me an offer I can't refuse. 

So sorry to hear that.

That sucks but don't give up! and good luck in the next round!

Cheer up! In all bad things there is something good. 

Yeah I heard from them a couple days ago - didn't get in. Booooo.

That's good news though, right? I still haven't heard from them but I already got accepted to my first choice and I'm leaning heavily towards them unless one of the schools I applied to makes me an offer I can't refuse. 

Certainly! I think it's good. Received a very nice separate email from the coordinator which described a "very short waitlist." Although I do have a compelling offer from another school (U of Minnesota), and the stipend is the same, despite very different living costs. But it's NYC ...

Certainly! I think it's good. Received a very nice separate email from the coordinator which described a "very short waitlist." Although I do have a compelling offer from another school (U of Minnesota), and the stipend is the same, despite very different living costs. But it's NYC ...

That's awesome. I hope you hear about your acceptance soon!

I keep checking GAMES and MyRED hoping my status will change from submitted to under review but it hasn't happened yet. I hate these March decisions!

I'm in!  Just got the myUNL and myRed confirmations, but nothing official from the department yet.  Anyone who's already heard, how long did it take you to hear about funding?  I'm visiting another program next week and they are offering me a fellowship.  I really like Nebraska, but money talks (well, the other program is awesome, too).  Anyone else apply to this program?

I'm 3 for 3--decided not to apply for the 4th one (Carleton in Canada) as funding for a US student was unlikely.  Accepted to USF SLA/IT (SLATE) but no funding offer unless I accept first (I'm playing hard to get over that one), accepted to University of Louisiana @ Lafayette Applied Language & Speech Studies with a fellowship offer, and, now, UNL for Language, Literacy, & Culture.  I never expected to get in anywhere, let alone get funded.

Anyone still waiting to hear from Berkeley or TC Columbia?   I applied to the PhD program in LLC at Berkeley (my first choice) and the CIE program  TC Columbia (second choice).  I applied to four other schools (UT Austin, Minnesota, BC Vancouver, Stanford) as well but they have all rejected me now.  

Although I'm realistic regarding the odds after 4 out of 6 rejections, I *was* starting to get my hopes up as by this time last year I'd been rejected by both of these schools so I was thinking hey maybe no news is good news.  Coming on to Grad Cafe has not cheered me up either!   :huh:

That said I'm heartened as I'm not seeing any acceptances or rejections for these doctoral programs on Grad Cafe...  that may not mean anything though!! 

This is my second year applying. I was rejected from all of my choices last year but I had a year to regroup, make contact with a few professors and take the GRE a few more times.    If I don't get in this year I will not give up I don't think  but I will "re-evaluate my life" and reconsider approach and targeted schools...  (Although I want to go to Berkeley SO VERY BADLY!!!) 

Anyway, I have kind of weird background...  teaching EFL/ESL/ESOL for over a decade, mediocre undergrad grades from a state school, good grades from a good graduate school in the UK, excellent verbal scores on the GRE but horrific quant GRE results..  been published in a UK academic journal...  I figure there's good and bad in my student profile and I'm very much hoping someone looks at the good and lets me in!  

Best wishes to everyone playing the waiting game!!  

-Mel

Hey all, first time posting here. I'm 27 and I'll be starting my Ed.D. in Higher Ed Admin at GWU this fall. Interviewed on 3/5, accepted 3/6, received $16k merit scholarship 3/11. Very, very, very, very, veryyyy happyyyyyy!!!

Also applied to William and Mary & University of Maryland College Park. GWU was my first choice and I'm very happy about the funding, so I don't care about the other two.

B.A. GPA = 3.4

M.Ed. GPA = 4.0

MAT Score = 87th%

Internships at U.S. Department of Ed, presented at a national conference, working in the field since 2004, strong LoRs, etc. etc.

Anyone still waiting to hear from Berkeley or TC Columbia?   I applied to the PhD program in LLC at Berkeley (my first choice) and the CIE program  TC Columbia (second choice).  I applied to four other schools (UT Austin, Minnesota, BC Vancouver, Stanford) as well but they have all rejected me now.  

Although I'm realistic regarding the odds after 4 out of 6 rejections, I *was* starting to get my hopes up as by this time last year I'd been rejected by both of these schools so I was thinking hey maybe no news is good news.  Coming on to Grad Cafe has not cheered me up either!   :huh:

That said I'm heartened as I'm not seeing any acceptances or rejections for these doctoral programs on Grad Cafe...  that may not mean anything though!! 

This is my second year applying. I was rejected from all of my choices last year but I had a year to regroup, make contact with a few professors and take the GRE a few more times.    If I don't get in this year I will not give up I don't think  but I will "re-evaluate my life" and reconsider approach and targeted schools...  (Although I want to go to Berkeley SO VERY BADLY!!!) 

Anyway, I have kind of weird background...  teaching EFL/ESL/ESOL for over a decade, mediocre undergrad grades from a state school, good grades from a good graduate school in the UK, excellent verbal scores on the GRE but horrific quant GRE results..  been published in a UK academic journal...  I figure there's good and bad in my student profile and I'm very much hoping someone looks at the good and lets me in!  

Best wishes to everyone playing the waiting game!!  

-Mel

I heard from TC on 3/17. I got accepted but they bumped me down from the PhD program in Measurement and Statistics to the M.Ed. program. I already have my masters and they offered no funding either so I didn't have to think twice about rejecting them. I also haven't heard from Berkeley (I applied to POME) either.

This is also my second year applying to PhD programs since I too got rejected from all programs I applied to last year. Did the same thing with the time off with regards to contacting professors, taking the GRE again, and I also researched more programs as I applied to 14 this round.

I hope you get into Berkeley!

AND I've been rejected from Berkeley.  Absolutely gutted.  I am still waiting to hear from TC Columbia and ridiculously I'm holding out some hope there but I am also obviously realistic in that I've been rejected from 5 out of 6 of the programs I applied to.  

I would really like to do a doctorate in Education and I know what area I want to study... I am NOT giving up but I am going to reevaluate and consider what I can do to make my applications more competitive.  

Best of luck to the rest of you! 

I had 5 rejections out of 7 programs I applied to, before the 2 acceptances came. And I was also very disappointed. My last acceptance was from TC, so it might be the same for you as well! Good luck with that! :)