Education Ph.D or Ed.D (Fall 2014) Applicants

lucerovespertino

Just generally curious about everyone's work experience levels before applying to Ed PhDs... I'm in my twenties with less education work/teaching experience, and I am wondering if Ed programs are looking for more work experience before accepting. Thoughts?

I’m in a similar situation. I am also in my twenties with my BA in Political Science. I have education research and intern experience, but not a lot of concrete work experience. I haven’t heard anything yet so I’m beginning to get nervous...

What previous posters have said about the fit is the crux of it, I think. Unlike the hard sciences there really is no "If you have X publications, then . . ." or, "If you have X research internships, then . . . " advice for an Education PhD. The departments know they can mold you into a research machine in due time.

Here's what I've gleaned from talking to 10+ professors from different schools last year:

1. Experience in the field (work experience) is always positive.

2. Research experience is a plus, and for some programs carries more weight, but not one professor said it was required.

3. Likewise quant/statistical background is a plus, and for some programs carries more weight, but it's not required. You can make up for a lack of research methods experience with a good GRE score (160+ maybe) and vice versa.

4. Professor contact + a detailed SOP are probably the two most crucial factors of your app. It really is about fit. You might be a top candidate but if there isn't a professor at the school who a) shares your interests and sees you as an asset to his/her/the school's current work and B) is able to take on new advisees, then you could be passed over. It's not YOU, it's them. You're likely fantastic.

5. Professor contact is crucial.

6 (to infinity). Professor contact is CRUCIAL.

I sent introduction emails to professors who never replied. Naturally I assumed I'd have less of a chance at these schools. To my surprise, when I heard back from these schools about acceptance or interview, the emails I received were from these professors in REPLY to the emails I'd sent. So they must be filing these emails away somewhere even if they don't reply (makes sense - they probably get so many they can't reply to all of them). I was chuffed, absolutely chuffed.

Sorry, that's really all I know. I'm in the same boat as everyone else - accepted some places, interviews some places, and half my applications seem to have disappeared into a void of quiet, polite no-thank-you. 

Thanks for the information jackinstyle! That really makes me feel better. I reached out to professors at all of my schools, but some did not reply. Looks like there is still hope  :)

I have the opposite situation. I have good teaching experience, publications (but not in american journals). However, my educational background is in engineering and economics. And my GRE... I don't even want to talk about it :( Only my Q is ok. 

Worried.

Has anyone heard from the University of Maryland College Park yet? Their app was due December 1st - I'm not optimistic.

Hi, I just received an informal admit email earlier this week from Maryland's Higher Ed PhD program. Good luck to you!

Hi all, I'm also applying to 7 Education Ph.D programs - my focus is Ed Policy and Comparative Education, so I focused mainly on schools with strong International and African Education programs.

I was admitted to Michigan State for the PhD and Wisconsin-Madison for the MA (instead of the PhD, according to their policy, because I didn't write a Masters thesis). I had an informal and useful interview with a POI at University of Minnesota, and she said they were making their picks last Friday.

I had some success emailing professors beforehand, and also asking graduate coordinators for PhD students in the program with similar interests (this was very useful, as I found out which professors are inactive or very difficult to work with).

I'm trying not to obsessively check my email or the results search. But I even set up a IFTTT that sends me a text if I get emails from any of the schools.

6 (to infinity). Professor contact is CRUCIAL.

Hmm definitely failed on this area. I guess I come from the innundated humanities where contact from applicants can often be considered "forward" or annoying. IF I receive only bad news and apply again this fall, I will take your advice and at least send an email of introduction to prospective POI.

Hmm definitely failed on this area. I guess I come from the innundated humanities where contact from applicants can often be considered "forward" or annoying. IF I receive only bad news and apply again this fall, I will take your advice and at least send an email of introduction to prospective POI.

Don't worry about it girlbat. I was just giving my perspective (for PhD programs, not masters) - I'm not omniscient and like I said, I'm just an applicant along with everyone else, with some acceptances and rejections. So I wouldn't want you to worry based on my John the Baptist moment.

There's a phrase I like, "ad meliora." It's Latin for, "toward better things." Every time things don't work out for me, or every time I make a new plan or goal, I think about that phrase. I'm not a person who believe that things happen for a reason, but I do believe that no matter what, there is always a way to move forward.

I find this helps when I start obsessing about minute mistakes I may have made in my applications or interviews - was my tone too informal, should I have used a different word here? Then I realize that's a dead end. You will always find something you would have changed when you reflect - always. Then I realize, that's just who I am. It's my DNA and I spent the better part of a year flattening it into an application. If my single-spaced paper self doesn't jive with a department's vision and ideals, then I can't cry over it. Because I can't be anything else but myself. Doing so would probably make for a miserable grad school experience otherwise.

I mean, it's education. We're in it because we want to help improve other people's lives. Despair and navel-gazing in the face of adversity isn't for us! We have work to do, and no matter what, we'll find a way to do it.

(Okay. I'll stop now before you all figure out how to insert the little eye-roll emoticon!)  :rolleyes: Heh, found it.

Edited by jackinstyle

I mean, it's education. We're in it because we want to help improve other people's lives. Despair and navel-gazing in the face of adversity isn't for us! We have work to do, and no matter what, we'll find a way to do it.

Wonderful words! 

It is just what the doctor ordered for me right now! Thanks!

Has anyone heard from the University of Maryland College Park yet? Their app was due December 1st - I'm not optimistic.

Hi, I just received an informal admit email earlier this week from Maryland's Higher Ed PhD program. Good luck to you!

Hello, I just received an email to check the application website and opened a rejection letter to UMD's meas., stats., and eval. program. Stay positive, no news is better than bad news right? Good Luck!! 

We have work to do, and no matter what, we'll find a way to do it.

Precisely! And that is the perspective that has attracted me to Education versus other areas of study. 

I see more and more acceptances trickling in now... congratulations to those receiving good news!

Has anyone heard back from their POIs at Stanford? I emailed all three (McFarland, Powell, Loeb) in late Nov/early Dec and haven't heard a peep :( 

FYI for those of you who haven't heard from Harvard about interviewing, I've heard they'll be inviting people continuously into February so I wouldn't give up hope yet. (Mine was last Thursday with the CIS director and my POI) 

Has anyone heard back from their POIs at Stanford? I emailed all three (McFarland, Powell, Loeb) in late Nov/early Dec and haven't heard a peep :(

Doesn't seem like there has been a peep out of Stanford yet. Their site says emails will be sent out "starting February 15th" - no one has posted anything about interviews yet. Looking at their past timeline, I bet interview requests are sent this week.

Hi there, joining this topic and the group torture of waiting for acceptance...

I'm applying to CUNY PhD in Urban Education and BC PhD in Curriculum & Instruction. Anyone have any feedback as to better choice? Many differences including funding, location, professors, program, I know...just looking for any thoughts. Both seem like great options...Main goal beyond academics is to be politically active and work in the field of critical pedagogy with commitment to social change and democratic transformation.

Thanks for reading and best of luck, everyone!!!!!

Edited by kentigar

Doesn't seem like there has been a peep out of Stanford yet. Their site says emails will be sent out "starting February 15th" - no one has posted anything about interviews yet. Looking at their past timeline, I bet interview requests are sent this week.

They interview?! 

They interview?! 

I spoke with two current SHIPS students during the application process and neither mentioned interviews. They both confirmed that they received an informal admit email early in February from their POI before getting their official acceptance letter abd they did not do an interview. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed (but not holding by breath)!

I just checked on my USC application status on the website.  It must have changed today because it now says "YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ADMISSION DECISION SOON VIA POSTAL MAIL. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS PROVIDES FINAL DECISION NOTIFICATIONS BY LETTER ONLY. WE DO NOT DISCLOSE ADMISSION DECISIONS VIA E-MAIL, TELEPHONE, OR ANY OTHER MEANS."

I had an interview last month but haven't heard much else from Rossier since.  I'm assuming this means I'm not getting in.  I'm bummed but at this point more relieved just to know one way or another.

I'm bummed but at this point more relieved just to know one way or another.

Darn it was my top pick but a pretty lofty goal.  One person posted on the results page a few weeks ago about getting in via email... dunno what that's about. But like you said, better to know than not know.

Edited by girlbat

I just checked on my USC application status on the website.  It must have changed today because it now says "YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ADMISSION DECISION SOON VIA POSTAL MAIL. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS PROVIDES FINAL DECISION NOTIFICATIONS BY LETTER ONLY. WE DO NOT DISCLOSE ADMISSION DECISIONS VIA E-MAIL, TELEPHONE, OR ANY OTHER MEANS."

Just checked my status ... and it hasn't changed. So maybe don't count yourself out of it yet?

I feel like other majors are receiving their admission results. When does Education dept start releasing their decisions? I thought UCLA, and UC Berkeley would start sending out results by now...

So much waiting!!

Anyone claiming the USC Rossier email acceptances/rejections? I'm curious because SixSeasons was notified that notifications are solely via snail mail

I'm still waiting... not expecting a positive result, as I did not get an interview either.