Education Ph.D or Ed.D (Fall 2014) Applicants

lucerovespertino

I did my MA in TESOL at TC. Two of my PhD applications are to education programs, the HDLT program at Harvard and the DAPS program and Stanford. In either case, I am looking to study how brain development correlates with language development in plurilinguals.

No news yet.

Edited by Aenrichus

Hi. I applied to 7 Higher Ed/Ed Policy PhD programs and have heard from 2 so far. Word has it that Penn has sent out email invites for their PhD interview weekends (I didn't get one), and USC Rossier sent interview invites out earlier this month. I have received email invites from Michigan and Boston College this week... still keeping my fingers crossed on the others. Good luck to all!

Also, has anyone done phone/skype interviews yet? I'm wondering what to expect.

Hi everyone - this waiting is tortuous!  I have applied to six schools for a PhD in education, focus on second language acquisition: three in the U.S., two in Canada, and one in the U.K.  The latter responded with a nice message (albeit bad news) saying that I was a strong candidate but that there were no professors able to take on more graduate students this year -- they said I could apply again next year.

Sadly, I realized yesterday that I applied to the wrong concentration on another one of my apps - when I submitted in October there was no info on their website indicating which professor works in which concentration. Yesterday I saw that the profs I mentioned in my SOP are in a concentration different from the one I selected on my app…I emailed the coordinator to ask for help, but it's probably a moot point by now - this school has about a 7% acceptance rate and I'm sure they're eager to boot apps out the door for any kind of clerical error!

Good luck everyone -- may all the PhD or EdD candidates find a great program fit!

Hi. I applied to 7 Higher Ed/Ed Policy PhD programs and have heard from 2 so far. Word has it that Penn has sent out email invites for their PhD interview weekends (I didn't get one), and USC Rossier sent interview invites out earlier this month. I have received email invites from Michigan and Boston College this week... still keeping my fingers crossed on the others. Good luck to all!

Also, has anyone done phone/skype interviews yet? I'm wondering what to expect.

Nope, no interviews thus far. But good luck on yours!!

Thought I'd say hello too. I've applied to Ph.D programs at 8 schools for ed and ed policy. Was also very disappointed not to receive an email from Penn, as I thought my application there was stronger than some of the ones I sent to schools that have already accepted me. But hey, it's an Ivy. Reach baby reach.

I've done an interview (via Skype) so far. It was for my #1 choice and I'm fairly sure I blew it, as it was my first and I was fairly nervous. I also live overseas so the interview ended up being at 6:30 AM. :(

To the person who received an invite from Michigan - was it an informal email from a POI? Was it from an admissions coordinator? I've also applied there and am waiting with . . . bated breath! 

Thought I'd say hello too. I've applied to Ph.D programs at 8 schools for ed and ed policy. Was also very disappointed not to receive an email from Penn, as I thought my application there was stronger than some of the ones I sent to schools that have already accepted me. But hey, it's an Ivy. Reach baby reach.

I've done an interview (via Skype) so far. It was for my #1 choice and I'm fairly sure I blew it, as it was my first and I was fairly nervous. I also live overseas so the interview ended up being at 6:30 AM. :(

To the person who received an invite from Michigan - was it an informal email from a POI? Was it from an admissions coordinator? I've also applied there and am waiting with . . . bated breath! 

Hi, I received an informal email from POI at Michigan for skype interview. It's scheduled for this week and I'm prepping now!

Good luck to you!

Did anyone apply to UCLA's Ph.D program for Education? When do results start coming out? I heard that UCLA sends out results faster than other schools. Correct me if I'm wrong though. 

Hi, I received an informal email from POI at Michigan for skype interview. It's scheduled for this week and I'm prepping now!

Good luck to you!

Good luck to you too!

I see. I had a very brief interview with another program last week. What does it mean if the interview is only 20-30 minutes? They didn't ask me hardly anything. Is that a good or bad sign? Is it just a "courtesy" interview so I don't feel bad? Oh paranoia.

I applied to Educational Studies and so far it seems like nobody's heard much. I'm a little about not getting that Penn interview, and not hearing from Michigan would also be a bummer.

Have an interview with Vanderbilt Peabody soon, though. Has anyone interviewed with them yet? I'm intimidated but hoping to do my best.

Edited by jackinstyle

Did anyone apply to UCLA's Ph.D program for Education? When do results start coming out? I heard that UCLA sends out results faster than other schools. Correct me if I'm wrong though. 

I applied to UCLA's PhD program in Education with a focus on Social Research Methodology. I haven't heard anything yet. I applied last year but to a different program and got rejected around early March. Hopefully I'll have better luck this year. 

Good luck to everyone!

I haven't gotten any interview requests yet. Seems like Harvard, UPenn, and Vanderbilt already sent all of theirs out, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the other four on my list. Good luck on your Vanderbilt interview, @jackinstyle!

I also still have nothing... a bit nervous (((

Has anyone heard from the University of Maryland College Park yet? Their app was due December 1st - I'm not optimistic.

You are not alone. I am in the same boat - I did not hear from them either...

Just generally curious about everyone's work experience levels before applying to Ed PhDs... I'm in my twenties with less education work/teaching experience, and I am wondering if Ed programs are looking for more work experience before accepting. Thoughts?

Edited by girlbat

No clue... I was wondering the opposite thing - whether research is considered more valuable. I'm on my third year of teaching ESL, and although I'm about to finish my MA, I have 0 publications and have done no research other than what was required as my capstone project for my master's program.

Just generally curious about everyone's work experience levels before applying to Ed PhDs... I'm in my twenties with less education work/teaching experience, and I am wondering if Ed programs are looking for more work experience before accepting. Thoughts?

No clue... I was wondering the opposite thing - whether research is considered more valuable. I'm on my third year of teaching ESL, and although I'm about to finish my MA, I have 0 publications and have done no research other than what was required as my capstone project for my master's program.

I wonder the same thing…like you, lucerovespertino, I have no publications. A mentor professor told me recently that the key element for admissions to a PhD program is finding the right fit with a faculty member, research-wise. Does the proposed research align with research interests among faculty at school X? Are there enough professors there with expertise in that field to form a dissertation committee? 

This is my first time applying for PhD programs.  Already, I wish I knew back in October what I know now…I would have made contact with one or more professors at each of the schools before applying.  As it is, I only connected with a couple of the schools.  Additionally, if I go through this again, I will do the process in reverse: seek out professors who are actively publishing in the areas that I am interested in, and apply to their schools. This may seem common sense to many applicants, but I guess I wasn't aware of these things before applying. Live and learn!  (two rejections later…)

Anyhow, best of luck to everyone -- it seems like a very dedicated group on the forum here. I hope we all find good homes for our doctoral study!

I wonder the same thing…like you, lucerovespertino, I have no publications. A mentor professor told me recently that the key element for admissions to a PhD program is finding the right fit with a faculty member, research-wise. Does the proposed research align with research interests among faculty at school X? Are there enough professors there with expertise in that field to form a dissertation committee? 

This is my first time applying for PhD programs.  Already, I wish I knew back in October what I know now…

Glad to hear the same concerns. Seems like a similar situation with you, lucerovespertino. I have my MA in the Humanities with several years of adjunct work but no research in Education. Seems to depend program to program whether they value pedagogical experience versus quant research.

You're right J7887 - so much I wish I had known months ago. My first time applying too, so I'm constantly questioning, "If I don't get in, should I try again? And what should I change?"

Of course, all these questions are premature. Not even February yet.