Application Anxiety Thread

Application Anxiety  

155 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate your anxiety about applications?

• 1 - What anxiety?
    • 2 - Maybe a little nervous, but nothing much.
    • 3 - Yeah, I'm pretty anxious about this.
    • 4 - I'm really anxious!!!
    • 5 - I'm freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is such a relatable thread to let loose. I've been on the runaround with applications and these are all the horrible moments I experienced with application time.

1)Getting letters of recommendations and having professors question whether or not, I want to remain in the field. Uhh Duhh I wouldn't be asking you for a letter if I didn't.

2)The humility of asking for a letter of recommendation when your GPA is not top notch. That cringe and stare down your professors make.

3)The reluctance of having to self-imput everything in CSDCAS.

4)Feeling like an overwhelmed waiter taking orders from graduate schools; 2 recommendations here, 3 recommendations there, different personal statement questions, pre-req completion, which website to apply do..bleh bleh bleh

5)that feeling when the people you graduated with in high school all have their lives already on track and you're stuck still getting a career. "Wow, you have a baby and got a job as a nurse, and you moved out?! Wow, way to go........you make me sick"...loll

6)Writing personal statements, and bothering people with your third revision

7)Finding that "HOOK" for your personal statement... here's a hook "For all that money I spent sending transcripts, taking the GRE, sending GRE scores, CSDCAS application fee, would an extra 1,000 money order soften that "acceptance hand"?

8)the amount of pimples I get from my sweaty anxious palms gliding over my chin and temples

9)Family members joking with me to apply to the University of Phoenix....I laughed at that one.. (is my fear that obvious?)

10)God bless all you hardworking students that have that 4.0 GPA and research experience, I just want to say "WHY ARE YOU SO PERFECT?!"..........you make me sick too...loll jk I love you guys even when you think that your A- in Hearing Sciences will affect your chances in Grad school..lmao

Forgive me if I offended anyone, I've been dying to say this to anyone whose in the same boat.

LDadvocate,

First off, I love your username! And I'm glad you appreciated the thread. :)

Letters of recommendation are my least favorite part of any application process. I always feel really bad about asking, even though I know it's part of a professor's job, because I feel like I'm bugging them. And then having to bug them with reminders because they haven't finished it yet (THE DAY BEFORE THE APP IS DUE!) makes me feel terrible, too.

I sent out a survey to people from my high school recently, as a kind of informal way to catch up and see what everyone's doing. Little did I know the reason a lot of people didn't take it was because they were waiting 'until they were doing better things with their lives.' We're not going to judge. Heck, I'm not doing huge things with my life (I'm currently a part time nanny living in my parent's house, not very glamorous) and I started the survey! Actually, most of us are like that. I can't tell you how many people from my high school are still figuring their lives out. It's normal and nothing to be ashamed of.

As for the perfect people, I dunno, some of us are just perfectionistic and have a warped view of the world. I feel just as insecure about my chances of getting into grad school as most people with a 3.0 would. not that it makes any sense. When I was applying to undergrad, my dad was telling me that no school was going to accept me and I wasn't good enough to get in anywhere. This is despite the fact that I had a 4.1 GPA and a 34 ACT score, plus an IB diploma. I knew he was wrong, but he told me that enough times that it really got in my head and stuck there, so even though I logically know I'm a good candidate for SLP Masters programs, I can't get his voice out of my head saying that I'm not going to get in anywhere. It sucks and that's where a lot of my anxiety comes from. This time around I got a 155 on the quantitative section of the GRE. I hid my score from him, because if a 34/36 ACT wasn't good enough, there's no way that will be. Heck, I don't talk about applications for grad school at all - the one time I mentioned I was anxious about my transcripts making it to FSU he basically told me I was screwed, and that I should ditch my job and drive to the school to plead with them because there was no way I was going to get in otherwise. I know it's his anxiety talking (the FSU thing turned out fine, as I told him, the school was just backlogged), but it really messes with me.

And no, of course you haven't offended anyone!

This is such a relatable thread to let loose. I've been on the runaround with applications and these are all the horrible moments I experienced with application time.

1)Getting letters of recommendations and having professors question whether or not, I want to remain in the field. Uhh Duhh I wouldn't be asking you for a letter if I didn't.

2)The humility of asking for a letter of recommendation when your GPA is not top notch. That cringe and stare down your professors make.

3)The reluctance of having to self-imput everything in CSDCAS.

4)Feeling like an overwhelmed waiter taking orders from graduate schools; 2 recommendations here, 3 recommendations there, different personal statement questions, pre-req completion, which website to apply do..bleh bleh bleh

5)that feeling when the people you graduated with in high school all have their lives already on track and you're stuck still getting a career. "Wow, you have a baby and got a job as a nurse, and you moved out?! Wow, way to go........you make me sick"...loll

6)Writing personal statements, and bothering people with your third revision

7)Finding that "HOOK" for your personal statement... here's a hook "For all that money I spent sending transcripts, taking the GRE, sending GRE scores, CSDCAS application fee, would an extra 1,000 money order soften that "acceptance hand"?

8)the amount of pimples I get from my sweaty anxious palms gliding over my chin and temples

9)Family members joking with me to apply to the University of Phoenix....I laughed at that one.. (is my fear that obvious?)

10)God bless all you hardworking students that have that 4.0 GPA and research experience, I just want to say "WHY ARE YOU SO PERFECT?!"..........you make me sick too...loll jk I love you guys even when you think that your A- in Hearing Sciences will affect your chances in Grad school..lmao

Forgive me if I offended anyone, I've been dying to say this to anyone whose in the same boat.

hahaha. lol.  You are so funny.  My favourites are numbers 1,2,4 & 5 and especially 5 lol

LDadvocate, funny post! My favorite is no. 5, because I am a "non-traditional" student, i.e old! And it had taken me till now to work out what I want to be when I grow up! Granted, I have kids, had bouts of ill health, and moved internationally, but still, 43 is pretty old to get it together!

Good luck to you all!

Lol at #5 - it gets worse the older you get. I am a 30 y/o surrounded by 22 y/o's with their life together and certain they know what they want. Heck, I didn't even know until I was 28. It doesn't make it better that a lot of my friends are getting married, starting to have sweet little babies, etc.

I spend ALOT! Of time on myfriendsaremarried.tumblr.com

Lol

Everyone who related to #5, I feel for you. It seems like we live in an ever increasingly judge-y society in that regard, where we're expected to know at least by the time we're 22 (if not 18) what we want to do with our lives and be well down the path towards said goal. Heck, 15 year old high schoolers these days have to declare majors. And yet we have very little life experience to base these decisions on. It's very frustrating. All through high school and college my family must have thought I was changing my mind constantly whenever they'd ask me what career I was aiming for. I knew that "I don't know" wasn't an acceptable answer, so I just said whatever career came to mind. I must have seemed like I jumped all over, but in reality I had no clue what I wanted to do, I just made up things. Now, of course, I finally know what I want to do and there is such a relief in truly knowing and having clarity! But I wish society (AKA my family) hadn't been so judgemental during those years I was deciding.

Autismadvocate, please see my username as flattery loll

Strangely enough I'm also Spanish and Chinese, I identify most with my latino community

OMGosh LORs bring anyone down to their knees. It's so exciting when they agree, but after you login to CSDCAS and see that 0, you start freaking out. I had a whole melodrama with each professor. Professor A took a long look at my transcript, saw a terrible grade in hearing science and gasped! I kid you not, but I didn't know what the big deal was because I retook the class and got an A-. Professor B only did online apps, at first she didn't want to give it to me, I had to beg her because I told her I went to a graduate open house and the professor there said volunteer service didn't matter, only GPAs and GREs. I told her how disappointing it was and that I needed her to vouch for me. God only knows what that woman said about my pushiness..loll but hey I got it. Professor C at first lost my hard copy LORs with my social security #s on them, I wanted to die when she told me this but then she called the next day and found them.

Thanks for those words about #5, I took a year off and I'm very nervous about the future. I'm 23 and I graduated high school 6 years ago, most of my classmates became nurses or are in a nursing program. Not saying that I want to be a nurse but I swear every time I go on Facebook, you see such glamorous lies that are so distorted, they look so real. It's quite depressing, and I worry about stuff like when I will become a mother and like when I will become a respected individual. The latter is the worst; I'm a tutor for children with and without disabilities, I absolutely LOVE my job, I wish I can go on and tell you stories about how each kid has changed my life but that's for another thread..loll Here's the thing, about 3 months ago, I worked in a learning center and at first my boss loved me but then she began to hate me for being outspoken about certain learning methods showing my experience beyond her treasured certified teachers. She and my coworkers ganged up on me and I believe it was because I was the only one with a bachelor's in speech while the others (but my boss) had their bachelor's in teaching. I wasn't a show-off or anything, I just knew how to teach, that's it. I was not respected and was thrown under the bus by a fellow co-worker, but if you knew me, you'd know I wasn't taking none of it. My co-worker pulled the crocodile tears and told my boss I was unreasonable, my boss yelled at me and I told my boss, " I QUIT!" I walked out free-spirited again but wounded badly from their hurtful, constantly "second-guessing me" comments. I don't think anyone close to me knows how much that job killed my confidence. People tell me to let it go, but it's so hard when certain words echo late at night. Just because I wasn't certified or licensed, I take pride in my "informal" experience because whatever I do, I always take something from it. Every now and then, when I think of my former boss, I turn to my students and know my presence affects them. I judge by the hugs, smiles, laughs, playful conversations, serious conversations, and perseverance each student gives me. It's the only thing that reminds me to pursue my master's.

About your dad; wow. Sometimes I don't think people especially dads, know the strength of their words. Other times, I feel dads often don't know how to express encouragement to their children. (I speak from experience with my own dad, although he accepts me, I feel like a son to him- as odd as that may sound. I was taught never to cry in front of him). For dads, such as yours, I think you're doing the right thing by not even mentioning grad school apps because once that train goes, it doesn't stop. With your impressive stats, I'm sure you will make it and it will be the sweetest victory for no one but yourself.

Just for writing this thread, God has saved a seat for you in admissions and heaven..loll

Autismadvocate, please see my username as flattery loll

Strangely enough I'm also Spanish and Chinese, I identify most with my latino community

OMGosh LORs bring anyone down to their knees. It's so exciting when they agree, but after you login to CSDCAS and see that 0, you start freaking out. I had a whole melodrama with each professor. Professor A took a long look at my transcript, saw a terrible grade in hearing science and gasped! I kid you not, but I didn't know what the big deal was because I retook the class and got an A-. Professor B only did online apps, at first she didn't want to give it to me, I had to beg her because I told her I went to a graduate open house and the professor there said volunteer service didn't matter, only GPAs and GREs. I told her how disappointing it was and that I needed her to vouch for me. God only knows what that woman said about my pushiness..loll but hey I got it. Professor C at first lost my hard copy LORs with my social security #s on them, I wanted to die when she told me this but then she called the next day and found them.

Thanks for those words about #5, I took a year off and I'm very nervous about the future. I'm 23 and I graduated high school 6 years ago, most of my classmates became nurses or are in a nursing program. Not saying that I want to be a nurse but I swear every time I go on Facebook, you see such glamorous lies that are so distorted, they look so real. It's quite depressing, and I worry about stuff like when I will become a mother and like when I will become a respected individual. The latter is the worst; I'm a tutor for children with and without disabilities, I absolutely LOVE my job, I wish I can go on and tell you stories about how each kid has changed my life but that's for another thread..loll Here's the thing, about 3 months ago, I worked in a learning center and at first my boss loved me but then she began to hate me for being outspoken about certain learning methods showing my experience beyond her treasured certified teachers. She and my coworkers ganged up on me and I believe it was because I was the only one with a bachelor's in speech while the others (but my boss) had their bachelor's in teaching. I wasn't a show-off or anything, I just knew how to teach, that's it. I was not respected and was thrown under the bus by a fellow co-worker, but if you knew me, you'd know I wasn't taking none of it. My co-worker pulled the crocodile tears and told my boss I was unreasonable, my boss yelled at me and I told my boss, " I QUIT!" I walked out free-spirited again but wounded badly from their hurtful, constantly "second-guessing me" comments. I don't think anyone close to me knows how much that job killed my confidence. People tell me to let it go, but it's so hard when certain words echo late at night. Just because I wasn't certified or licensed, I take pride in my "informal" experience because whatever I do, I always take something from it. Every now and then, when I think of my former boss, I turn to my students and know my presence affects them. I judge by the hugs, smiles, laughs, playful conversations, serious conversations, and perseverance each student gives me. It's the only thing that reminds me to pursue my master's.

About your dad; wow. Sometimes I don't think people especially dads, know the strength of their words. Other times, I feel dads often don't know how to express encouragement to their children. (I speak from experience with my own dad, although he accepts me, I feel like a son to him- as odd as that may sound. I was taught never to cry in front of him). For dads, such as yours, I think you're doing the right thing by not even mentioning grad school apps because once that train goes, it doesn't stop. With your impressive stats, I'm sure you will make it and it will be the sweetest victory for no one but yourself.

Just for writing this thread, God has saved a seat for you in admissions and heaven..loll

OMG 23 is still very young! Trying being 34, no kids,  and just pretty much starting to get your ducks in a row! 

loll you guys make me sick too...alright imma stop!!

:D let me tell you, for the students returning to school sometime regardless of what age, 30 or 43? You have so many experiences, less doubt, and more confidence under your belt. I'll never forget when I underestimated an old timer in my statistics class, Debbie a 45 year old with a teen son in high school was looking to become a counselor. In statistics, she was on her GAME!! I swear, she must of wrote in Morris code or some alien language because whenever a lecture finished, she managed to get every single word the professor said. How do I know this? When I asked to see her notes, she wrote in chicken scratch that could be confused for Morris code...loll so for the students that come back into speech, I got my eye on you.. loll

Debbie got a A and I got a B+

I look up to older students too because you have so much to say. I wish I could get my mother back in school, I worry about her. Last year she lost her job after 20 years and tried to get back into school for respiratory therapy but couldn't pass an entrance writing test. You had to see her; racing to class, her notebook and nerdy glasses lol, and studying like crazy. Unfortunately, my mother is the type of person that if she puts tons of energy in a task, and doesn't receive the rewards she aimed for, she second-guesses herself :mellow:. Idk moms are weird, their the best cheerleading squad for you but harshest critic on themselves. :ph34r:

loll you guys make me sick too...alright imma stop!!

:D let me tell you, for the students returning to school sometime regardless of what age, 30 or 43? You have so many experiences, less doubt, and more confidence under your belt. I'll never forget when I underestimated an old timer in my statistics class, Debbie a 45 year old with a teen son in high school was looking to become a counselor. In statistics, she was on her GAME!! I swear, she must of wrote in Morris code or some alien language because whenever a lecture finished, she managed to get every single word the professor said. How do I know this? When I asked to see her notes, she wrote in chicken scratch that could be confused for Morris code...loll so for the students that come back into speech, I got my eye on you.. loll

Debbie got a A and I got a B+

I look up to older students too because you have so much to say. I wish I could get my mother back in school, I worry about her. Last year she lost her job after 20 years and tried to get back into school for respiratory therapy but couldn't pass an entrance writing test. You had to see her; racing to class, her notebook and nerdy glasses lol, and studying like crazy. Unfortunately, my mother is the type of person that if she puts tons of energy in a task, and doesn't receive the rewards she aimed for, she second-guesses herself :mellow:. Idk moms are weird, their the best cheerleading squad for you but harshest critic on themselves. :ph34r:

It is not easy being an older student and having younger sharper minds around you. At times, I began to second guess myself. 

Congrats on the B+ in statistics! That class is a tough! I was very happy when I received a B! My mother is the same way. Although she is still working, she is so frightened by math, she gave up on going back to school. 

Just finished my app for CSDCAS, it turned out one of the schools I picked was an orange school..YIKES! Hope it gets there in time and that my college can deliver my transcript any faster. My brain is fried from SOP revisions, not looking forward to doing another SOP with a different sop question. On a self-judgment, did anyone feel as if their personal statement was straightforward or story-ish? I felt mine was story-ish, a route my professor encouraged when she read my SOP. However when I went to my career dept. counselor, she hacked right through it making it sound more relevant to speech.

I've actually done tutoring for special needs kids myself - specifically, I've tutored and nannied kids on the spectrum. Let me tell you, it is one of the most beautiful, painful experiences out there. It's beautiful because I can help the kids a lot. It's painful because I can't tell their parents what to do. I can suggest and lead by example, but I don't have the all important professional degree to make it so they'll listen to me (sounds similar to your experience?). I wish I could get professional licensures in everything - be a psychologist, SLP, ABA therapist, and a doctor - so parents would be more likely to heed my words.

Sadly, they do listen to me a degree, because I have a Bachelor's in psychology and I'm working on adding a CSD post-bacc. But those things have nothing to do with the reason I know how to help their children. I know how to help them because I understand autistic people, something neither my BA nor my post-bacc (so far) have taught me. But without my degrees, no one would bother to even pause to hear what I had to say.

But if I was a degreed psychologist, perhaps a parent would listen to me when I tell them their child is autistic. As an SLP, maybe they'd listen to me as I tell them how to work with their child on communication. With ABA certification, they might pay me more heed and let me tell them about discipline. And as a doctor I could tell them that the gluten free diet (for kids without stomach problems), camel's milk, chelation, and freaking feeding their children bleach! (known as MMS) are not necessary (in the case of gluten free and camel's milk) and incredibly harmful (chelation and bleach).

One of the things that breaks my heart is that I unknowingly fed an autistic child bleach. I babysit children on the spectrum and parents contact me online to come and care for their children. One parent contacted me and I babysat her son. I refuse to ever do so again. Because I can't successfully get DCF involved (how I wish I could, but not giving her child medication and using alternative "medication" [bleach] are things she could totally invoke "religious freedom" on) and it just breaks my heart to see her son. Her four year old autistic son had worms, had had worms for over six blessed months with no sign of them going away because she wouldn't give him medication. (There is a vocal group of 'autism parents' who avoid traditional medicine at all costs, and she is one.) While I was there, she had me feed him camel's milk (some enterprising camel's milk seller decided to say camel's milk cures autism) and something she called by an acronym, which I recently figured out was bleach. The mom spent so much time trying to 'cure' her son's autism that she didn't interact with her son. And their back yard was just unsafe and I was terrified to let the child back there, as I'd been told to do. I wish I was certified because then maybe I could DO something! Heck, I wish I was a DAN! (defeat autism now) doctor, because even though they're quacks, having that certification means you might actually get listened to in that crazy sub-realm of the autism world which I wish could be banished forever, but the likes of Jenny McCarthy have popularized.

There's my rant. That's the reason autism advocacy is so needed. That's the reason I wish everyone was an autism advocate, because there are kids out there suffering and it breaks my heart.

On a lighter topic, I am not ethnically Chinese - as far as my background, I'm Latina myself, and I studied Chinese in school. But we had several ethnically Chinese Latinos in my Chinese program - I remember turning around hearing this beautiful Spanish pouring out of their mouths, but when it came time to recite a poem in Chinese....well, they definitely sounded like first year Chinese students (which they were). I don't know what it was like for them when they went to China, but it was probably pretty rough because when you look Chinese people expect you to speak fluently and they didn't.

My personal statement was story-ish. I centered it around my journey to deciding to become an SLP, which meant I went all the way back to the day my sister (who has autism) was born (which I used for my hook). Of course, I barely touched on that part (it's not THAT much of a story), but it definitely has a story vibe. I wanted to convey my stats and experience and interest in their school...but I also wanted them to get to know and like me as a person.

But if I was a degreed psychologist, perhaps a parent would listen to me when I tell them their child is autistic. As an SLP, maybe they'd listen to me as I tell them how to work with their child on communication. With ABA certification, they might pay me more heed and let me tell them about discipline. And as a doctor I could tell them that the gluten free diet (for kids without stomach problems), camel's milk, chelation, and freaking feeding their children bleach! (known as MMS) are not necessary (in the case of gluten free and camel's milk) and incredibly harmful (chelation and bleach).

Well, you'd THINK that having a degree would make them listen to you.  I've been a teacher for the past 5 years, and while there are WONDERFUL, AMAZING parents out there that WILL listen and do anything for their child, there are also parents that won't listen, despite what degree you hold.  We had a really sad case at my school a few years ago where a child had such severe language delays that we thought he had a learning disability.  Turns out, the kid just needed tubes in his ears and many different professionals (with degrees) told mom this.  However, mom flat out REFUSED to get the procedure done (which is her right, as a parent) and her kid continues to have severe academic issues.

So, while getting an SLP degree is going to be great, it won't necessarily make parents listen to you.  The choices they make for their child are ultimately up to them.  Except, I think I would qualify feeding your child bleach as child abuse.  Did you ever attempt to contact anyone about that situation?

I think I am going to contact DCF, yes. After I got that out of my system I started thinking and decided to do it. Because really, it's bleach. The not giving meds for worms thing could be evaded on the religious freedom thing. The giving your child bleach, however, is causing harm and there's no way they can evade that.

OMG 23 is still very young! Trying being 34, no kids,  and just pretty much starting to get your ducks in a row! 

A women of my heart... It is getting to the point where my best friend and I have decided to get married because we love each others company so much. Granted, we have an open marriage because let's face it cuddling only gets you so far. Then somehow produce designer babies to our specification (I think I am going to talk to some of these bioengineers for help). Granted this will all have to wait until after I finish school and then somehow we get in the same state as each other. She decided to move to Minnesota and when I saw a 100+ degree weather difference I decided that moving there was no longer an option. 

Just finished my app for CSDCAS, it turned out one of the schools I picked was an orange school..YIKES! Hope it gets there in time and that my college can deliver my transcript any faster. My brain is fried from SOP revisions, not looking forward to doing another SOP with a different sop question. On a self-judgment, did anyone feel as if their personal statement was straightforward or story-ish? I felt mine was story-ish, a route my professor encouraged when she read my SOP. However when I went to my career dept. counselor, she hacked right through it making it sound more relevant to speech.

I think it's just a personal preference. Some of my statements were more story-ish (mainly in the intros) while others were more straightforward. I would definitely try to make it relevant to speech though, or at least just make sure everything in there serves a purpose (showcasing a quality or trait, showing why you chose SLP, etc). 

That's exactly how I feel autismadvocate; I can see your level of interest with autism truly shines from your experiences and knowledge. Although I never had experience with autistic children, I did tutor a girl with an autistic brother. Their mother was very rigid with their diet and quite frustrated with her son's progress with the ABA therapists and SLPs. As a new mother to a 4 year old and 3 year old, she would question the routines and exercises her son would be doing: sit-ups, walking up and down stairs, touching new objects, throwing objects, and catching objects. I saw the exercises as vital but she saw them as a waste of time. I'm not sure if subconsciously she felt this way but she and her husband had a prestige medical background and a daughter that was gifted intellectually. I had a feeling she compared her daughter's and son's milestones which she shouldn't have because her children had a huge gap on an intellectual spectrum. By 4 years, her daughter read at a second grade level, wrote the alphabet perfectly, and had a memory of an elephant. It must have been painful as you said because whenever her son would laugh, she would always say "he doesn't know what he's laughing at, sometimes it's inappropriate", granted she never said this as he was laughing because she took any moment to connect with her son. I still remember one day when I finished tutoring his sister, as I said my goodbyes by the door, he waved his hand bye to me. It was such a good moment that day. All these things you refer to, such as bleach, I never knew these things existed. It seems barbaric to introduce that kind of substance to a child, even more threatening when a parent is handing these toxins to their child. When children (especially those with special needs) depend on others, you can't help but be drawn to them to better their lives and protect them. Ughh I know this is definitely off topic, but as soon as you mentioned the fear of letting the child in the backyard, I think of Avonte and wished more people like you worked in schools to prevent a tragedy such as that one. May his soul rest in peace.

Changing the subject, that's so cool that you took Mandarin, I don't speak Chinese but I have Asian features. Are you looking to pursue your bilingual certificate? I met a special education teacher and she said even though she didn't speak Spanish fluently, her bilingual extension allowed her to reach other clients and helped her income somewhat significantly.

Edited by LDadvocate

It's rough, because there's this conception out there that autistic people aren't intelligent. My sister is an autism advocate herself, but knowing she has autism means people consistently devalue her intelligence. She's an adult, but when she went to a function educating police about autism, the question people there chose to ask her (it was a question and answer) was "What's your favorite color?" It's a low ball little kid question that you ask people you don't think are very smart. The question a father of a newly diagnosed child chose to lead with this weekend talking to her was "What's your favorite food?" Her reply? Palestinian. And then the two of us made it very clear that she is in college, doing super well, and an Honors student.

The child I'm watching now went to see a psychologist for his diagnosis. Despite only having met him for a couple of hours (and not having done any tests or anything), the guy said the child has a ridiculously low IQ. Having spent time with this child, I can tell you that's not the case. Does he talk as much as other children? No, he struggles with verbal language. Does he stim and melt down? Yes, definitely. But that has nothing to do with whether or not he's smart (he is actually quite bright). Here's an article on measures of autistic intelligence you might enjoy... http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/16-03/ff_autism?currentPage=all

I actually didn't know there was such thing as a bilingual certification. How do you get that?

Autismadvocate,

Some schools have special bilingual training tracks that culminate with a bilingual or multicultural certification. In most cases, you take a few extra classes and are assigned Spanish-speaking clients or placements. I have never seen a program offer a bilingual program that focuses on any other language besides Spanish. You must first apply to the bilingual program, which typically requires a separate personal statement and interview. Of the 8 schools I'm applying to, 6 have bilingual/multicultural programs that I am also applying to. Three of the programs require you to apply to the bilingual program at the same time as applying to the general program, while 3 do not let you apply to the bilingual program until you are admitted into the general program. 

I talked to one of my profs, who is a bilingual SLP in Spanish and English, about whether a bilingual track was necessary for native speakers (just out of curiosity, because I'm not a native speaker). She said it is very helpful, because just knowing the language doesn't mean you know about Spanish phonetics or language development in bilinguals (and other stuff you would learn in classes). She talked about how she once hired a native Spanish speaker who did not attend a bilingual program to work with Spanish-speaking clients, and it was very difficult for her because she did not have the training/education. However, there is such a demand for bilingual SLPs that employers will likely jump to hire anyone who speaks Spanish proficiently, even with out a bilingual certificate. At least, that's how it is in the Chicagoland area where I am from.

Also, even if your program does not have a true bilingual program, you can likely indicate that you would like to work with Spanish-speaking clients in your placements or even do an elective or independent study on a topic dealing with bilingualism.

Also, on the anxiety front, I am ridiculously anxious right now. One of my LoR writers isn't responding to my emails...yikes! That line between emailing your LoR writer so much that they hate you after this is all over and not emailing enough is just ridiculously hard. I don't want them to hate me....but I also need a reply so I know she's sending the letter that's due Saturday!!!

I can only hope that all schools I'm applying to really are more flexible with deadlines for letters of rec...

I also have a LOR writer that isn't responding.  I'm not sure whether or not she's actually going to send them.  Last time I heard from her (Jan 9) she said she was going to send them, but nobody has received them yet.