Application Anxiety Thread

Application Anxiety  

155 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate your anxiety about applications?

• 1 - What anxiety?
    • 2 - Maybe a little nervous, but nothing much.
    • 3 - Yeah, I'm pretty anxious about this.
    • 4 - I'm really anxious!!!
    • 5 - I'm freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait! I thought the weekend was supposed to give relief, lol. Just received an email from the University of Tennessee this evening... yes, a SATURDAY evening. My first official news!

I was waitlisted :) So glad to be considered and not rejected!

Ugh somewhat off topic but I'm hoping someone can give me their perspective...I just realized today that I forgot to add a date to my resume. I had volunteered at this place in 2011 and recently went back in September 2013. I only have the old date on my resume so basically I don't get any credit for volunteering the last 6 months! :( What would you guys do?

DeafAudi, if you're worried I would just use that as an opportunity to write a letter of continued interest. Write the letter under the pretext of telling them about the resume issue (a note will probably go In your file) but use the chance to remind them how interested you are in their school!

I just have to say that I am really excited about this forum because all of you understand the anxiety and the work that has been put into this field. We are all understanding of how competitive it is and what an accomplishment it is to be accepted into a program. In my outside life very few understand the accomplishment. I just want you all to know that you all have worked hard and no matter what March brings you have worked your butt off - so rejoice in that feat!!

I know exactly what you mean! From people outside the speech pathology field, I often get comments like "oh, I know someone who got into grad school with a 2.1 gpa for history" or "they'll probably just accept you anyway to get your money" NOPE THATS NOT HOW IT WORKS! Now that it's March 4th and none of my schools have yet to reply to students, my anxiety level is immeasurable. Every time I check my email for anything (not even grad school related emails) I feel like throwing up all over the computer until the site loads. Fun. This part's fun.

From people outside the speech pathology field, I often get comments like "oh, I know someone who got into grad school with a 2.1 gpa for history" or "they'll probably just accept you anyway to get your money"

2.1 in history, huh??? Wow lol just wow...

People don't know what to say. I agree that it is very nice to have other people in the trenches with you who can relate. I've stopped trying to explain the anxiety to people "on the outside." Unless they are going through it or have been through it, people simply don't have a clue.

Vent post: just called Texas State and they said they have barely started reviewing and that they have over 500+ applicants this year. This is my second year applying and this is my first choice. Kinda of freaking out right now. How am I ever going to beat out 500 other people. This stress is making me sick. I can't think about anything else! Ahhhhhh!

My sister applied to grad school for creative writing this year and so far she's got 2 rejections. One of the schools had 925 applicants for 25 spots. And I thought CSD was competitive...

Guys. I am dying today. I keep seeing all of these accepted posts and I wish I would have applied to schools that tell you sooner! Why did I have to go for all of the mid March schools? I mean, I know that's only like 2 weeks away, but we all know how slow that will go in anxiety time!

My sister applied to grad school for creative writing this year and so far she's got 2 rejections. One of the schools had 925 applicants for 25 spots. And I thought CSD was competitive...

HOLY FRICK! That's so much worse! I had no idea that creative writing was that competitive!

Guys. I am dying today. I keep seeing all of these accepted posts and I wish I would have applied to schools that tell you sooner! Why did I have to go for all of the mid March schools? I mean, I know that's only like 2 weeks away, but we all know how slow that will go in anxiety time!

I feel you there. I am literally crawling out of my skin! I cannot focus on anything but the results search, which is awful for all of the studying I have to do today...

I feel you there. I am literally crawling out of my skin! I cannot focus on anything but the results search, which is awful for all of the studying I have to do today...

I'm in the same boat!  I have a huge test tomorrow and can't even focus!

Vent post: just called Texas State and they said they have barely started reviewing and that they have over 500+ applicants this year. This is my second year applying and this is my first choice. Kinda of freaking out right now. How am I ever going to beat out 500 other people. This stress is making me sick. I can't think about anything else! Ahhhhhh!

TSU is also one of my top choices. Hearing this news reminds me of this scene from dumb and dumber http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA :D

TSU is also one of my top choices. Hearing this news reminds me of this scene from dumb and dumber

:D
Baha oh my gosh that's too funny. I guess we need to be more optimistic, there is a chance, even it is one out of 500! Did you go to their information day?

TSU is also one of my top choices. Hearing this news reminds me of this scene from dumb and dumber

:D

Dumb & Dumber is my ALL TIME favorite movie! Can't wait for the sequel this November finally! Exactly 20 years later! :)

Jenbugg, I did not go to their information day. If you did, could you tell me about your experience there? I think that city would be a great fit for me and I am still hopeful. I sent my mom a text today telling her I was stressed and she replied "Won't help anything." Haha It's hard to hear but I need to take her advice.

Twinguy, I had no idea that they were making a sequel! That's even more exciting than the Veronica Mars movie(huge fan). :)

I'm in the same boat!  I have a huge test tomorrow and can't even focus!

Me too! I have a Physics exam and the only thing I can focus on is my current crochet project...it occupies my hands so I can't check my portals!

I have a Skype interview with the (only!) school I applied to, tomorrow morning.  I wish it could be in person because worrying about the technology failing or skipping is making me nervous, not to mention the eye contact issue with Skype.  On the other hand, I'm interviewing, which is a really good sign!  But still...I can't stop reading the forums and admissions pages looking for signs of others' experiences with this university.  I think if I was going to find something, I probably would have found it the first 100 times or so...

I have a Skype interview with the (only!) school I applied to, tomorrow morning.  I wish it could be in person because worrying about the technology failing or skipping is making me nervous, not to mention the eye contact issue with Skype.  On the other hand, I'm interviewing, which is a really good sign!  But still...I can't stop reading the forums and admissions pages looking for signs of others' experiences with this university.  I think if I was going to find something, I probably would have found it the first 100 times or so...

Love the Sun, good luck with your interview tomorrow morning! I recommend watching this TED talk for some confidence-boosting techniques that might help you with your nervousness (this was posted in another thread but I'm sharing it again in case you missed it!). Best wishes!

To all those who have been receiving good news from schools, congratulations! To those who've received not-so-good news, try to stay positive! 

I'm pretty anxious waiting for more news this week... I assembled a 500-piece puzzle (you can get one at the dollar store) last night, which seemed to calm my nerves a bit, but today I'm back to crazily refreshing all the pages I have open in my browser again. Uhh...I even just caught myself refreshing my Amazon seller inventory page... Looking forward to the end of this madness :P

I'm pretty anxious waiting for more news this week... I assembled a 500-piece puzzle (you can get one at the dollar store) last night, which seemed to calm my nerves a bit, but today I'm back to crazily refreshing all the pages I have open in my browser again. Uhh...I even just caught myself refreshing my Amazon seller inventory page... Looking forward to the end of this madness :P

PUZZLES!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

UGH. I think I have the best interview fml story yet.

First...I am sitting here waiting for my host to come onto Skype and I decide to check my phone. Awaiting in my inbox is a rejection email from the University of Iowa. I mean, I knew this was coming but NICE TIMING! lol.

Then, as soon as I (nervously ) log in and the interview begins, my dogs see something outside and start barking madly. I excuse myself to go and tell them to kindly shut it. As soon as I sit back down, my cochlear implant battery DIES!!!!!! Why I didn't think to check this before, don't ask me. 

I think overall it went pretty well, until they asked me about my GPA, which is "lower than the rest of my application would indicate" and I kind of stumbled. I gave a generic answer that I wasn't as focused as I should have been in my first and second year but really amped up my act in my 3rd and 4th year.

I guess there is nothing to do but laugh and hope for other interviews/acceptances, right?  :P Thanks, bratty dogs/dead battery. 

UGH. I think I have the best interview fml story yet.

First...I am sitting here waiting for my host to come onto Skype and I decide to check my phone. Awaiting in my inbox is a rejection email from the University of Iowa. I mean, I knew this was coming but NICE TIMING! lol.

Then, as soon as I (nervously ) log in and the interview begins, my dogs see something outside and start barking madly. I excuse myself to go and tell them to kindly shut it. As soon as I sit back down, my cochlear implant battery DIES!!!!!! Why I didn't think to check this before, don't ask me. 

I think overall it went pretty well, until they asked me about my GPA, which is "lower than the rest of my application would indicate" and I kind of stumbled. I gave a generic answer that I wasn't as focused as I should have been in my first and second year but really amped up my act in my 3rd and 4th year.

I guess there is nothing to do but laugh and hope for other interviews/acceptances, right?  :P Thanks, bratty dogs/dead battery. 

OMG!!! You are seem so positive!! I would be worked up and crying.  Oh dogs... >.<