Finding a roommate?

LittleDarlings

How did you find your roommate (if you have one)? How has your experience been with roommates? I decided I want a roomie it would definitely making living less expensive and I also don't want to live alone. So far I signed up on my schools off campus website, and I found a website called uloop. I really don't want to use craigslist because it just seems dangerous. Any advice? Should I try to find someone else then we can look together or should I try to look for a room in a house? I don't know where to start! Prefurnished? No furniture?

Hmm.. I think I would call the director or administrative assistant of your program - maybe they can try and get you in contact with some of your cohort so you can find a roommate that way. 

It would probably be easier to reply to the "roommate wanted" adverts placed by people who have a house but need someone to fill a bedroom. That way you can visit the house and the roomies at the same time. They've also done the hard work for you in that they've hunted down & secured the house! 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Just do Craigslist. You can't live life scared. Sure, there are a lot of psychopaths, serial killers, rapists, pedophiles and feminists on Craigslist, but you have to be willing to take a risk. You can find a lot of good deals. 

Just do Craigslist. You can't live life scared. Sure, there are a lot of psychopaths, serial killers, rapists, pedophiles and feminists on Craigslist, but you have to be willing to take a risk. You can find a lot of good deals. 

Feminists are in the same category as serial killers, rapists, and pedophiles?  :huh:

I prefer answering existing roommate ads than creating my own. I have had good luck when i stick to my standards: a fellow oder person (I once had a mid-20s roommie; almost as bad as a 19-year-old), a health-positive environment in which two people can each have adequate space, and being in an area where I can walk to necessities. If I have to settle for something less, I'll be sure that it does not entail a lease, so i can look out for a better place when it becomes necessary. 

I  found my roommate on craigslist and she is seriously one of my favorite people in the world. She sometimes makes me breakfast and stuff and we get along so well! My advice (for ANY of those types of websites, Uloop and university ones included) is to get coffee at a very public place first. Crazies can go to grad school too, you never know.

Edited by archaeostudent1231

I  found my roommate on craigslist and she is seriously one of my favorite people in the world. She sometimes makes me breakfast and stuff and we get along so well! My advice (for ANY of those types of websites, Uloop and university ones included) is to get coffee at a very public place first. Crazies can go to grad school too, you never know.

How did you avoid a crazy person on CL? I'm afraid I won't be able to find anyone to room with

Guest Gnome Chomsky

How did you avoid a crazy person on CL? I'm afraid I won't be able to find anyone to room with

Do you ever stop worrying? Do you evaluate the water before you get in the pool? 

Meet the person first in a public place.  And seriously, just like everyone complains about everyone else on the road while they text/apply lipstick/headbang/etc while driving - just remember it is as important to not BE the crazy person on CL as it is to avoid the other crazy person on CL.  If you act crazy you will attract crazies.

It was really simple. I've had many craigslist roommates and they've all been fine. You just need to e-mail a bit and then meet in person at a public place before you decide to room together. I guarantee you that just as many crazy people lurk on other roommate finding sites. Craigslist can be a really great resource. Not only did I find this roommate on craigslist, I've found apartments and other roommates there too. I also furnished my whole apartment mostly using craigslist (just know how to check for bedbugs! I've never found any, but I've heard stories). I've never met anyone who was crazy and I use craigslist a TON. The few slightly questionable people I've come across usually made it abundantly clear within a few e-mails. You can also google search people that respond to your craigslist ad and see what comes up. Honestly, unless you're perusing the "casual encounters" section, more than likely you'll be totally fine. Just go check out the craigslist for the area you'll be living in and see what's there. The rooms/shares section is really good for finding roommates and people usually give detailed descriptions of themselves and who they are looking for. Just, like I said, meet in public first and NEVER meet someone for the first time at their apartment all alone. Craigslist has many more normal people than crazy ones, at least in the apts section, it seems.

Do you ever stop worrying? Do you evaluate the water before you get in the pool?

I honestly don't. Once one thing is ok and seems done I pick it apart and find another reason to worry. Lol I don't swim much so no.

I mean this is very important it is my entire life here and I could live alone but having a roommate would be great but I don't want them to cut me into a million pieces and feed me to their dog!

Meet the person first in a public place.  And seriously, just like everyone complains about everyone else on the road while they text/apply lipstick/headbang/etc while driving - just remember it is as important to not BE the crazy person on CL as it is to avoid the other crazy person on CL.  If you act crazy you will attract crazies.

Very true :) thank you

It was really simple. I've had many craigslist roommates and they've all been fine. You just need to e-mail a bit and then meet in person at a public place before you decide to room together. I guarantee you that just as many crazy people lurk on other roommate finding sites. Craigslist can be a really great resource. Not only did I find this roommate on craigslist, I've found apartments and other roommates there too. I also furnished my whole apartment mostly using craigslist (just know how to check for bedbugs! I've never found any, but I've heard stories). I've never met anyone who was crazy and I use craigslist a TON. The few slightly questionable people I've come across usually made it abundantly clear within a few e-mails. You can also google search people that respond to your craigslist ad and see what comes up. Honestly, unless you're perusing the "casual encounters" section, more than likely you'll be totally fine. Just go check out the craigslist for the area you'll be living in and see what's there. The rooms/shares section is really good for finding roommates and people usually give detailed descriptions of themselves and who they are looking for. Just, like I said, meet in public first and NEVER meet someone for the first time at their apartment all alone. Craigslist has many more normal people than crazy ones, at least in the apts section, it seems.

Ok I think I will try CL, it seems like a lot of students are ok there and Uloop is good but it seems like a lot of undergrads. I would rather someone my age or older. I also wonder if I am just looking too soon? I mean most people are looking for someone to move in immediately or in May I need Aug. I should just chill out

Do you prefer living alone or with a roommate? I am so stuck on one hand I don't want to live alone, I get scared I would love another person to workout with and go out with on occasion and to just feel safe with. I mean I feel safer with someone in the house besides me and offsetting the costs is nice.  On the other hand I like being alone, I can clean when I want and have total silence when I want, I know that I will always pay my bills on time.  I am freaking out (I need to take deep breaths and calm down) I just don't know which would be better for me. I like my privacy I also kind of want a 2 bed 2 bath if I had a roommate 

Edited by CorruptedInnocence

Craigslist is great for rooming with people. I think it's only creepy when it comes to missed connections and casual encounters sections...

I posted a ridiculously detailed ad and found an amazing roommate a few years ago. More recently, I posted an ad needing to sublet for a month, and a nice couple going on vacation immediately contacted me. I responded to ads a year or so ago and found an okay college house to stay in for the summer - they were nice and reliable, although not perfect. Have conversations before rooming, and sign a roommate agreement, and it'll be fine.

I think for my first year in grad school I will room with someone, because it will be easier (since I may not be able to visit apartments before hand) and allow me to be more social. I like not worrying if I forget my key, having someone to chat with, combining shopping trips, and saving money. Later, I may get my own place for the quiet and freedom. 

Craigslist is great for rooming with people. I think it's only creepy when it comes to missed connections and casual encounters sections...

I posted a ridiculously detailed ad and found an amazing roommate a few years ago. More recently, I posted an ad needing to sublet for a month, and a nice couple going on vacation immediately contacted me. I responded to ads a year or so ago and found an okay college house to stay in for the summer - they were nice and reliable, although not perfect. Have conversations before rooming, and sign a roommate agreement, and it'll be fine.

I think for my first year in grad school I will room with someone, because it will be easier (since I may not be able to visit apartments before hand) and allow me to be more social. I like not worrying if I forget my key, having someone to chat with, combining shopping trips, and saving money. Later, I may get my own place for the quiet and freedom.

I might put an ad on CL soon, do you think I am looking too early? I mean it is Feb and I am looking for Aug.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

What do you think about living with an undergrad student? Like a senior?

Why do people have to think things about things? Some people suck to live with. Some undergrad seniors are cool and some eat their cereal with their feet. Same goes for grad students. Are you looking for someone to give you the perfect answer? 

I'm looking for past experiences.. That is what this site is for. I haven't ever been in the position of needing to find a roommate I know that in my search I am finding a ton of undergrads who need housing and not a ton of graduate students so yes I do need to know what other people think :)

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'm looking for past experiences.. That is what this site is for. I haven't ever been in the position of needing to find a roommate I know that in my search I am finding a ton of undergrads who need housing and not a ton of graduate students so yes I do need to know what other people think :)

But what if everybody gives different advice? What are you gonna do with it? Are you gonna throw a dart and choose one? 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Do you prefer living alone or with a roommate? I am so stuck on one hand I don't want to live alone, I get scared I would love another person to workout with and go out with on occasion and to just feel safe with. I mean I feel safer with someone in the house besides me and offsetting the costs is nice.  On the other hand I like being alone, I can clean when I want and have total silence when I want, I know that I will always pay my bills on time.  I am freaking out (I need to take deep breaths and calm down) I just don't know which would be better for me. I like my privacy I also kind of want a 2 bed 2 bath if I had a roommate 

How do you know a random roommate on Craigslist will want to work out with you?

Edited by Gnome Chomsky