I just for waitlisted at Berkeley!

I'm just wondering about waitlist etiquette. Should I reply to the email I got? Is it ok to ask where I am on the list? Anyone else get waitlisted? Ahh. So happy I'm not rejected, but preparing for a new kind of waiting torture...

That's awesome! If you're waitlisted, they must have liked your application but they might not have enough funding or something along those lines.

I'd definitely write back to thank them. And you could ask them when you might expect a decision and imply that you're wondering what your chances are. Or ask them about the general procedure. Do they accept waitlisted people immediately when other people decline or do they offer the spots all at the same time? Maybe ask if they were able to accept people off the waitlist last year and before that.

Good luck!!!

I was invited to the visit weekend and will do my best to be there (I work abroad in France so it's a bit complicated for me). I just emailed the DGS with some questions a few minutes ago.

Even a waitlist at Berkeley significantly raised my spirits. I hope we both make it in!

Here to join the slightly-better torment that is the waitlist pile. got on the list for Texas Tech last night.  Probably the friendliest letter I have ever received.  Very nice and encouraging, and, most impressive, very honest and forthcoming about their process and their struggles.

But, because I'm kinda a moron sometimes, I didn't even think to ask a few questions in the thank-you Email.  I just thanked them and said that I was still thrilled to be in consideration.  But their letter said funding was pretty short, so I'm kind of figuring they don't know much more than I do at this point about how many they're likely to take off the list.

...still wish I'd asked, though.  This is why I shouldn't Email people before 9 A.M.

Here to join the slightly-better torment that is the waitlist pile. got on the list for Texas Tech last night.  Probably the friendliest letter I have ever received.  Very nice and encouraging, and, most impressive, very honest and forthcoming about their process and their struggles.

But, because I'm kinda a moron sometimes, I didn't even think to ask a few questions in the thank-you Email.  I just thanked them and said that I was still thrilled to be in consideration.  But their letter said funding was pretty short, so I'm kind of figuring they don't know much more than I do at this point about how many they're likely to take off the list.

...still wish I'd asked, though.  This is why I shouldn't Email people before 9 A.M.

Katia_chan, why not send another e-mail to the DGS inquiring about your position on the waitlist, especially since you already have an acceptance? You could tell them that you wanted to follow up to let them know that you have received another offer but still remain very interested in their program. Perhaps, like you state above, they really do not know how many applicants they will be able to admit off of the waitlist, but you will never really know where you stand until you ask. :) Best wishes and congratulations!

Woooo joining the waitlist train! Just heard back from NYU. I'm so excited to still be in the running but also v nervous about the prospect of dragging this process out until mid-April.

My email didn't mention anything about visiting. Did you guys ask specifically about it or did they invite you?

Woooo joining the waitlist train! Just heard back from NYU. I'm so excited to still be in the running but also v nervous about the prospect of dragging this process out until mid-April.

My email didn't mention anything about visiting. Did you guys ask specifically about it or did they invite you?

Are you applying for English? I am dying to hear anything about Comparative LIterature

Are you applying for English? I am dying to hear anything about Comparative LIterature

Yep, it was indeed for English. Their comp lit program is incredible, though. My POI is a joint faculty member in both. It was a tough choice for me deciding which program to apply to.

Yep, it was indeed for English. Their comp lit program is incredible, though. My POI is a joint faculty member in both. It was a tough choice for me deciding which program to apply to.

I chatted with Emily APter before about the program, it's an amazing one. I applied there and CUNY (back door in ;)) So crossing fingers and toes and noses

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I want to wish you all luck in getting into the programs of your choice--especially if you are waitlisted for your first choice program, like I am. :)

I am really curious about what my position is on the waitlist, and I am wondering: is it okay to send an email and ask the director of graduate studies this question? I regret not doing it when I first replied. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach it/how to write an email asking this question? Should I wait a week or two when it becomes clearer to them who is accepting the offer or not? I just really want to know my chances before I consider any other schools.

Any input or advice would help!

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I want to wish you all luck in getting into the programs of your choice--especially if you are waitlisted for your first choice program, like I am. :)

I am really curious about what my position is on the waitlist, and I am wondering: is it okay to send an email and ask the director of graduate studies this question? I regret not doing it when I first replied. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach it/how to write an email asking this question? Should I wait a week or two when it becomes clearer to them who is accepting the offer or not? I just really want to know my chances before I consider any other schools.

Any input or advice would help!

I have the same question. I just got wait listed at CUNY. My sense, however, was that they'd rather I not contact them yet (in the e-mail they repeated how early in the admission season it is). I think I'll wait for a week or two and then check in and see. Most people who have been admitted probably are waiting to hear back from other universities anyway.

I also don't really have a first choice program, so the waiting isn't terrible for me. I'll be happy anywhere I applied and it depends on where my fiancée also gets into school. I would love to be at CUNY, though :)

I have the same question. I just got wait listed at CUNY. My sense, however, was that they'd rather I not contact them yet (in the e-mail they repeated how early in the admission season it is). I think I'll wait for a week or two and then check in and see. Most people who have been admitted probably are waiting to hear back from other universities anyway.

I also don't really have a first choice program, so the waiting isn't terrible for me. I'll be happy anywhere I applied and it depends on where my fiancée also gets into school. I would love to be at CUNY, though :)

Thanks for your input! I am waitlisted at Emory, and though it is an ideal program for my interests and my top choice if I had to choose, I know that I would be happy in most places. 

I was thinking that I would wait a week or two before inquiring about it. I hope others who were accepted get into better programs for them and then I can snag one of their spots. That would be ideal!

Yes- it seems people's odds tend to be pretty good on wait lists, or at least that's my tentative hope. A lot of the same 10 or 15 people tend to get accepted into multiple programs. If you land on a wait list, your chances are still good, though I suppose it depends on where you are. If you want, it might be helpful to look at Emory's results from past years. People tend to post if they were accepted off the wait list.

As my user name suggests, I'm new to this whole thing--both the grad school process and the forum postings. But I've spent enough hours scouring this site to finally justify making an account... It's been a comfort knowing that i'm only one of many many similarly suffering peers... 

Anyway, I've been wait-listed at my top choice program. I simply want to get as much information as possible because my world is currently ruled by obsessively checking both my email and this thread... *sigh. So, the previous poster said that chances are pretty good for wait-listers... would others agree? Is it normal for wait-listed applicants to be invited to visit sessions? Should such an invitation be read as an informal (but extremely important) interview? For those who may understand the process more, how do schools usually manage wait-lists? Are applicants notified as soon as a slot opens, or does the department usually wait until a pre-determined date to fill all slots that have opened in the time leading up to it? Lastly, how long does the process usually take? I mean, I imagine that departments don't know for sure who can come off their wait-list until other applicants are forced to make a decision... so when are the standard 'decision dates'? April? May? 

thanks for humoring me. good luck to everyone! 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about all of you waitlisters (where are y'all?!), but I'm currently negotiating my waitlist options. They are all scrambling to meet my needs.

Seriously, I need some people to vent with before I start divulging to random posters that their prospective programs are notorious for throwing Goldendoodles out of car windows.  

Edited by JSTORPolka

Ugh, currently on THREE wait lists! And waiting on funding for both of my acceptances. Also, I still haven't heard back from one school, considering my track record it's probay yet another wait list. I thought this process was going to be acceptances/rejections and acceptances coming immediately with funding, but I'm in a totally different boat. I feel for you JSTORpolka. Sigh.

I'm also feeling the wait list pain, especially because two of the MAs I've been accepted into are Canadian and have April 1 deadlines! I've told them both I'll probably need an extension, but they seem to only think a few days is possible. Not sure what to do, and when to check in with the PhD program to say "I have a couple offers and you're my first choice but I need to know"...