Can anyone claim the Rutgers acceptance? Or the new info from NYU? 

Only 10 more days of limbo!

I can claim both! Got an offer from Rutgers yesterday. Haven't received anything official from NYU yet, but the DGS told me it isn't going to happen, and that no one on the wait list is getting a place. Apparently this is the first year since he's been involved in admissions that that has happened.

Congrats Vivian! That's awesome (on the Rutgers front at least)--any idea where the offer stands relative to your other offers? I'm getting stressed about having less time to make a decision if I do get off a waitlist vs. my original offers. 

Thanks - yeah I've honestly no idea where it stands right now, going to visit this week. Have heard great things about the program though. Was already finding it impossible to decide between two other places, so this is something of a curveball...

Still hoping to hear back from Case Western, where I've been waitlisted for a funded MA. If not, I think I'll be attending CMU's one year MA program. I'm not in love with the program, but it's the most financially viable option for me.

I'm new to the whole wait list panic...but I have a potentially stupid question. The school I'm wait listed at told me that they'd send out offers (if any are available) after the 15th.

As this is after the looming deadline, would funding be offered after that date?

Like I said, probably a stupid question but any insight would be appreciated

I believe they do fund everyone but international students (which I am not), so that would be good news.

Ugh! I desperately want to call and ask my questions but do not want to be a giant pest. Boo.

Also, thank you for the quick response!

I believe they do fund everyone but international students (which I am not), so that would be good news.

Ugh! I desperately want to call and ask my questions but do not want to be a giant pest. Boo.

Also, thank you for the quick response!

WriterTyger, I don't think there's anything wrong with calling. They should understand that most schools expect a response by the April 15 deadline, and that the majority of their waitlisters are trying to get their plans finalized. So you could absolutely call and simply say that, because other schools expect your decision soon, you'd like to know what your chances at funding will be if you are accepted from the waitlist.

This late in the game, I think it's completely reasonable to elicit information from the department in order to make your final decisions.

Sadly, I have no other offers. I only applied to 2 programs (rooted to my location currently ), so it's more of just my own panic and worry of if I will have a place this fall...

In that same vein....if anyone is rejecting an offer to University of Buffalo (or doesn't need their spot on the wait list...) please let them know ASAP. Thank you. 

I was placed on three wait lists (one of which has turned into an acceptance). In two of the initial wait list letters it stated that if I were to be admitted from the wait list, I would be offered full-funding. These letters also used overtly positive rhetoric, telling me that I was a finalist and on a select wait list-- I guess to distinguish from an unofficial wait list. The letter from the third school stated that they have six funded spots and take some self-funded students, leaving some ambiguity as to whether or not I would be offered funding if accepted off of the wait list. Like others have said, I think it varies from school to school, and you might be able to scout the programs's website and gradcafe to find out if they usually take both funded and unfunded students. Asking the program is a valid solution too! I know I was nervous about how much contact I should make with the programs that wait listed me, but everyone was kind. I had contacted my POI at the school that accepted me from the wait list and she initially told me she felt that there was a good chance of me being accepted off of the wait list. I'll admit, I was still in *complete* shock when the offer came. I know how frustrating it is to be wait listed-- hang in there though, it seems like quite a few people are getting in off of wait lists these days. Also, I know someone who was wait listed at Buffalo and just accepted an offer somewhere else, so there goes one less wait lister. I have my fingers crossed for you!

One of the schools that wait listed me sent me an e-mail early last week saying they wouldn't be able to make me an offer because they were full. Then, two different people said they turned down offers from that school later in the week. Anyone know what that's about?

Yes, I'm new and late to the game.

One of the schools that wait listed me sent me an e-mail early last week saying they wouldn't be able to make me an offer because they were full. Then, two different people said they turned down offers from that school later in the week. Anyone know what that's about?

Yes, I'm new and late to the game.

That's probably because schools offer places to more people than they can actually accommodate on the program, presuming that a certain percentage will accept offers elsewhere. So it's perfectly possible for a program to have reached its target incoming class size already, without everyone having responded yet.

Waiting until April 15th to commit to a program, just in case I hear back from the program I am wait listed at. Should I email the program I am wait listed at to figure out when to anticipate news (negative or positive)? Or if I haven't received positive news yet, is it probable that I won't get any?

I am also waiting to hear back. I looked through past years on the results board and the school i am wailisted at typically is able to admit one or two people between april 8 and april 12 (there doesn't seem to be as much info about your program, but i am guessing that schools have similar timelines). I also looked at the waitlist thread from last year and a lot of people had their waitlists converted between april 9 and april 14th! Personally if I don't hear anything by saturday then i am going to get mentally excited for my top choice among my current options. I'll probably still wait to accept for as long as possible which i feel bad about if i do get off the waitlist because I know there is someone waiting for that school. It's kinda amazing to thing about how many chain reactions certain waitlist movement inevitably causes e.g. student A is accepted at school 1, turns down school 2 which takes student B off the waitlist who then turns down scbool 3 which now has to go to its waitlist and so on. My good friend was waitlisted at his dream school last year and he often reminds me in this process that it ain't over til it's over. Good luck to all!

I'm doing the final edits on my MA thesis and I find myself distracted checking my phone every two or three minutes for updates on waitlists. It has earned me pity on the Jane Austen paper I cobbled together in two hours, though. :P

I'm doing the final edits on my MA thesis and I find myself distracted checking my phone every two or three minutes for updates on waitlists. It has earned me pity on the Jane Austen paper I cobbled together in two hours, though. :P

Haha you and I are in the same boat. I’m frantically trying to finish my Master’s thesis while trying to avoid checking my email to see if I’m in off a waitlist. It’s driving me crazy. 

Still waiting to see if I get off the waitlist for the funded program....I will probably be waiting until the night of April 15th before committing elsewhere.

Just a note of caution. I think the deadline is 5pm EST.

I'm also curious as to who was admitted to Princeton from the waitlist! I've accepted an offer from the English department there, and would love to get a DM from a member of my cohort!