Ugh, currently on THREE wait lists! And waiting on funding for both of my acceptances. Also, I still haven't heard back from one school, considering my track record it's probay yet another wait list. I thought this process was going to be acceptances/rejections and acceptances coming immediately with funding, but I'm in a totally different boat. I feel for you JSTORpolka. Sigh.

Are you more excited about your waitlist options, or your acceptances (once funding decisions are made)? I applied to 10 schools and have landed on four waitlists. FOUR! I am that mediocre. However, I'm grateful to not have been completely shutout as I figured I'd be.

I'm also feeling the wait list pain, especially because two of the MAs I've been accepted into are Canadian and have April 1 deadlines! I've told them both I'll probably need an extension, but they seem to only think a few days is possible. Not sure what to do, and when to check in with the PhD program to say "I have a couple offers and you're my first choice but I need to know"...

Yes, that's what I want to do with my first choice as well. I responded immediately following the initial e-mail, but now I'm twiddling my thumbs. Don't know what to do on that front.

BTW, UT Austin is a fantastic school; I did my undergrad there. -Not meant to make you feel any worse though.

Edited by JSTORPolka

BTW, UT Austin is a fantastic school; I did my undergrad there. -Not meant to make you feel any worse though.

Doesn't make me feel worse; I'm ecstatic just to be on their wait list! I'm really hoping it turns into an offer.

JSTORpolka & back2black - I feel your pain. I am also in waitlist hell for several schools. It puts EVERYTHING in your life on hold.

Also being on the waitlist makes me feel so blah. Like close but not quite good enough. Gah. I'm also doubting my decision to apply to only 5 schools, but as an international student I only had enough money for 5.

PS. Grishko Out of Toronto, UBC and McGill I would definitely pick Toronto. I went to UofT, UBC and Concordia (the other school in Montreal) and the UofT English department was way more together/I actually felt like they tried with me. McGill tends to have less of a presence than other schools in English and doesn't offer as much variety of classes and UBC is an absolute disaster in terms of organization/classes. Although if you go to McGill you can take classes at other Montreal institutions which I did (a lot of McGill people take classes at UdeM and Concordia).

Thanks Kermit, it's helpful to hear an insider's perspective. I would lean toward McGill just because that's the only (partially) funded MA offer I have right now, but there's also the consideration that Toronto is a shorter program. I keep hearing "funding begets funding", but I'm not sure whether it's less important with the Canadian schools.

grishko - PM if you have any questions/want to talk more. The funding situation for Canada is a little different than the US. I know the schools super well and have lived in all the cities. I'd be more than happy to talk about it!

JSTORpolka & back2black - I feel your pain. I am also in waitlist hell for several schools. It puts EVERYTHING in your life on hold.

Also being on the waitlist makes me feel so blah. Like close but not quite good enough. Gah. I'm also doubting my decision to apply to only 5 schools, but as an international student I only had enough money for 5.

Hopefully, all of our waitlists will convert. We only need one!

Waitlisted as well. Fortunately (!?) I was rejected from the other two programs I applied to, so I'm under considerably less stress. I'm trying to just assume that I won't get in and then it will be a pleasant surprise/mad scramble if I do.

I did a silly thing and only applied to two schools, Clemson and North Florida, because one is "the family school" and the other is in my hometown.

This afternoon I got notified that I was placed on Clemson's wait list. I've been trying to be positive about it because the email that I got from the department head made it sound as if I had a strong chance of getting in after all, but I've been getting so many contradictory pieces of advice as to what to do now. Clemson is my number one choice and I would be the fourth generation of Clemson grad students in my family if I got in, so when I say I really want this that is a bit of an understatement. At the same time I don't want to come off as being, well, insane.

After I got the waitlist notification I quickly responded in what I (and my co-workers) thought was a positive, professional manner. But I'm really bad at waiting guys. I'm awful at waiting for things that seem beyond my control.

Unfortunately, I teach/house parent in New York so I can't take a quick trip down for a campus visit, so that's out.

Edited by Argodo

I, too, am wait listed. I've found out that at least two people who got accepted into the program are declining (or have already declined). I'm wondering what the protocol is for inquiring as to the status of the wait list. Should I call? Or wait for them to contact me?

I, too, am wait listed. I've found out that at least two people who got accepted into the program are declining (or have already declined). I'm wondering what the protocol is for inquiring as to the status of the wait list. Should I call? Or wait for them to contact me?

I e-mailed the DGS whose contact was listed in my wait list notification. She was kind, but she essentially said they don't release info on your status on the wait list because things change so rapidly. It doesn't hurt to ask, though, especially if you know the program's open house is passing soon/has passed. I would probably e-mail rather than call (e-mailing leaves it up to them to respond--I feel like calling might feel intrusive to some departments? but that might just be my socially awkward self).

I know a few people from the program I'm wait listed at have declined, and I saw a person on the results board who was admitted off the wait list. Last year they admitted something like 15 people off the wait list, so let's cross our fingers that that happens again this year...(The program I'm wait listed at is in the same city as a school my fiancee just got accepted to, so it would make our lives a lot easier/less messy, aside from the fact that I also just plain like the program. But I kind of think another school I got accepted to is a better fit??? IDK)

So stressful.

I e-mailed the DGS whose contact was listed in my wait list notification. She was kind, but she essentially said they don't release info on your status on the wait list because things change so rapidly. It doesn't hurt to ask, though, especially if you know the program's open house is passing soon/has passed. I would probably e-mail rather than call (e-mailing leaves it up to them to respond--I feel like calling might feel intrusive to some departments? but that might just be my socially awkward self).

I know a few people from the program I'm wait listed at have declined, and I saw a person on the results board who was admitted off the wait list. Last year they admitted something like 15 people off the wait list, so let's cross our fingers that that happens again this year...(The program I'm wait listed at is in the same city as a school my fiancee just got accepted to, so it would make our lives a lot easier/less messy, aside from the fact that I also just plain like the program. But I kind of think another school I got accepted to is a better fit??? IDK)

So stressful.

Thanks for the advice, Shortstack. I sent an email as per your suggestion. I feel like we live an a textual age, and people respond better to emails rather than over the phone. 

It's stressful, but you got accepted somewhere! At least at the end of the day, you know you have the option of going somewhere. I hope you get into the wait listed school, just so you have more options. 

• 2 weeks later...

New poster here...

I've apparently also been waitlisted, which I am taking as a positive because it isn't an outright rejection. I didn't recurve any post or email, but spoke to the pertinent folks via phone.  Now to wait until April 15th, with fingers and toes crossed.

Good luck, fellow waitlisters!

Just found out that I’ve been wait-listed at Florida State! I don’t know if that will change my decision, but since it’s my mentor’s Alma Matter, at least I don’t have to put my tail between my legs in shame anymore. 

As someone who has been sitting on two wait lists for over a month now, I have to say, it's great to see news on the board of wait lists converting to acceptances. Congratulations to all those whose agony has ended! It gives the rest of us hope.

I agree! I'm still on a few wait lists and the recent posts on the board are encouraging! Congrats to all who got in off of wait lists! Today my good friend got into the CUNY Grad Center off of the wait list and I'm so happy for him. Hopefully the wait list situations pan out for the rest of us! Fingers crossed. Cheers to all of my fellow wait listers!