Rejection thread

ianfaircloud

Thinking more about the Wisconsin rejections:

If you didn't get a Wisconsin rejection yesterday, you will probably get one today, provided that:

• you don't live a great distance from Madison, Wisconsin.
  • you haven't been accepted or wait-listed

The letters were dated February 21. (Thanks to Silly Socrates, above.) Now Silly Socrates received the letter on February 24. I lived in Wisconsin, and I remember mail usually arrived one or two days later, if sent between places in Wisconsin. So I think the letters were actually mailed on February 21, too. (Silly Socrates, does the envelope have a date stamped on it from the USPS?)

Now for the rest of us, typically mail takes three days. (At least that's been my experience after living in five different zip codes, starting with 7, 6, 5, 2, and 0.) 

So my thought is this: If you haven't received a rejection from UW Madison, and if you don't receive one today, and if you don't live a great distance from Madison, then there's reason to be hopeful about being wait-listed.

The other side of this: Someone said yesterday that s/he was told that wait-list notifications would be sent today. So maybe we'll hear from UW Madison today, in which case none of this speculation matters.

Could anyone tell me about the Duke rejections? From the results page, I saw that the rejections were made available on the website. But I just logged in to my Duke application account (the SSIS website account),  and found nothing about decisions about my application: no acceptances, no waitlist, no rejections. It merely says "no notifications". What does this mean? Are they behind the updates of rejections or do they forget to update the rejection decision toward my application? Thanks. 

Edited by Platonist

1) Ian, to answer your question, the envelope is time stamped with 2/21 as well.

2) The online status of my Madison application has been updated to say "denied." So if you haven't heard anything via post or email, it seems as if the website has been updated!

Mine still says pending.

Assuming waitlist at this point. Fit is perfect, strong connections with my writers, etc.

Mine still says pending.

Assuming waitlist at this point. Fit is perfect, strong connections with my writers, etc.

Do not mean to be offensive, but want to add that it could be the case that they are behind the updating, especially when your last name is quite late in the alphabet. But if your last name is very early, it is quite reasonable to assume that you are on the waitlist. I do hope it is the latter case.  :rolleyes:

Do not mean to be offensive, but want to add that it could be the case that they are behind the updating, especially when your last name is quite late in the alphabet. But if your last name is very early, it is quite reasonable to assume that you are on the waitlist. I do hope it is the latter case.  :rolleyes:

Oh no offense taken. I am not at all sure that I will be waitlisted. I'm just saying that I can't help but assume that I am at this point. I know there are a thousand reasons why I might not have received word yet...I just am confirmation biasing them out of the way to make room for that waitlist letter.

Edited by TheVineyard

Oh no offense taken. I am not at all sure that I will be waitlisted. I'm just saying that I can't help but assume that I am at this point. I know there are a thousand reasons why I might not have received word yet...I just am confirmation biasing them out of the way to make room for that waitlist letter.

Thanks, Vineyard. Hope you are waitlisted at this school. I am in a similar situation with Duke. I am very tempted to assume that I will be or am being waitlisted. Stay positive!

Edited by Platonist

Thanks, Vineyard. Hope you are waitlisted at this school. I am in a similar situation with Duke. I am very tempted to assume that I will be or am being waitlisted. 

Except as I said in that thread, I haven't seen any Duke rejections posted.

Damn, those must have been some really bad applicants if they got rejected a full year early!

Oh, so sorry, I am so silly: did not see the dates!! But there are indeed acceptances and waitlists, so the rejections are forthcoming. Now I assume I am rejected at Duke. So disappointed. 

Edited by Platonist

I've applied to 7 terminal MA programs. I just heard back from the first one, Georgia State University: Rejected. 

Pretty bummed about this. I was under the impression that GSU's program would be one of the less difficult to get into, being that they had 23 spots open.