Rejection thread

ianfaircloud

Thanks, Mocha. I'm wondering if they have, also, changes in their online app status. 

For future reference, the username is above the 'Mocha' area. 'Mocha' seems to be a name that references how often that person posts here, while their username is above that. Just in case anybody else is confused. 

For future reference, the username is above the 'Mocha' area. 'Mocha' seems to be a name that references how often that person posts here, while their username is above that. Just in case anybody else is confused. 

Though Mocha would, admittedly, be a pretty damn cool handle...

and (3) one top-30 school has already indicated interest in my application, by the graduate admissions chair personally.

How did you know this? Did the chair email you saying this? (Very unlikely I think, because it would be very premature and unprofessional for the chair to do this before a decision has been made.) Or did you call the chair and learn this? 

Edited by Platonist

From MIT: "I am truly sorry to inform you that we are not able to offer you admission to the MIT philosophy Ph.D. program.  This year, the number of exceptionally talented applicants for admission to our department greatly exceeds the number which can be accommodated and it has been necessary to refuse admission to many fine applicants."

Now hold up a second...so MIT thinks I'm exceptionally talented? Oh snap. 

Claiming an MIT rejection! No surprise there; it's not a great fit for my interests. (I applied because it's a strong overall program and has a reputation for being a nice place to do philosophy.)

Thanks, folks, for posting rejections here. It helps us all see whether a rejection is legitimate.

Yes, you are. I am so devastated by the rejection that I cannot sleep.

I really don't think you can be too upset about it. MIT is crazy hard to get in to. I think some of those people that get in are computers. Unless your dad was on the ad com or something, it's not worth being upset about. Even fantastic applicants got rejected.

I really don't think you can be too upset about it. MIT is crazy hard to get in to. I think some of those people that get in are computers. Unless your dad was on the ad com or something, it's not worth being upset about. Even fantastic applicants got rejected.

Haha, you are certainly right. I was just being sarcastic, since it's daytime anyway and no need to sleep.

But, it's my first rejection among completed applications, and I have had fondness for the program. So, yeah, just a little bit sad.

The exclamation marks are confusing me.  Are we happy about our rejections?  

I wouldn't say I'm happy per se (otherwise, why would I have applied to the school?), but I'm trying to at least express a good attitude when claiming my rejections. It's a little easier for me, because I've already been accepted to schools that are amazing fits, so I'm trying to keep it in perspective.