Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

Declined McMaster today. Banking on getting off the Toronto waitlist; still love Queen's if I don't!

Yeah, studying with Will Kymlicka and Christine Overall. I feel soooo bad for you. :P

Edited by kant_get_in

I'm assuming that wait lists will begin moving in late March/ early April. Is this a fairly accurate guess? Also, if anyone here gets off a wait list after the official invited visits have passed will you still do a campus visit or just take the offer?

I've heard from several people, including the guy who wait-listed me at UVA that stuff won't happen until close to April 15th. A lot of times people on the waitlist will get a call on April 15th, as people wait until the last day to not accept an offer. So yeah, it'll be a while.

YAY WAITLIST HELL!

I'm assuming that wait lists will begin moving in late March/ early April. Is this a fairly accurate guess? Also, if anyone here gets off a wait list after the official invited visits have passed will you still do a campus visit or just take the offer?

To your second question: if I am offered a place off the wait-list at what has become my top choice (of my three wait-list spots), and if the visiting period has already passed, and, further, I am up against the April 15 deadline, I will accept the offer without a visit. FWIW, I would feel comfortable doing this, given that since my being wait-listed, I have been in fairly regular correspondence with my two main POIs at this institution, both of whom seem keen on my interests and are going to be available to work with me. I don't care about scouting the location, etc. I up and moved to Europe for my MA with two suitcases, and managed to find a flat and settle other logistical issues just fine. As one of my undergrad professors once told me, if you are not willing to take an offer somewhere because of the location and other such 'social life' issues, then it would seem that you are not actually serious about pursuing the PhD. 

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

Wait listed at Purdue. Ugh. I can't stand it. So vividly do I see in my minds eye sitting in seminars with Michael Bergmann and Paul Draper. I can't stand it. I really can't.

Wait listed at Purdue. Ugh. I can't stand it. So vividly do I see in my minds eye sitting in seminars with Michael Bergmann and Paul Draper. I can't stand it. I really can't.

If it helps, I'm leaning towards declining my offer w/ funding :)

We have very different AOIs thought :/

I know the feeling (I was waitlisted at an appealing program last year and the wait was horrendous feeling). But congrats! I'll be visiting there in about two weeks. If I take myself off the waitlist, I'll be sure to let you know via PM.

I know the feeling (I was waitlisted at an appealing program last year and the wait was horrendous feeling). But congrats! I'll be visiting there in about two weeks. If I take myself off the waitlist, I'll be sure to let you know via PM.

Thanks!

I've heard from several people, including the guy who wait-listed me at UVA that stuff won't happen until close to April 15th. A lot of times people on the waitlist will get a call on April 15th, as people wait until the last day to not accept an offer. So yeah, it'll be a while.

YAY WAITLIST HELL!

That's what I was worried about... My friends and I have started calling it wait list limbo. 

To your second question: if I am offered a place off the wait-list at what has become my top choice (of my three wait-list spots), and if the visiting period has already passed, and, further, I am up against the April 15 deadline, I will accept the offer without a visit. FWIW, I would feel comfortable doing this, given that since my being wait-listed, I have been in fairly regular correspondence with my two main POIs at this institution, both of whom seem keen on my interests and are going to be available to work with me. I don't care about scouting the location, etc. I up and moved to Europe for my MA with two suitcases, and managed to find a flat and settle other logistical issues just fine. As one of my undergrad professors once told me, if you are not willing to take an offer somewhere because of the location and other such 'social life' issues, then it would seem that you are not actually serious about pursuing the PhD. 

Thanks for your input! I do agree with your professor in general, for me it's not about lifestyle/social issues. My top program I'd accept immediately without visiting. I hope we all get good news sooner rather than later!

YAY WAITLIST HELL!

Yes, waitlist is ridiculous. I would imagine that if one is wait listed at the top one program, but accepted to a lowest ranked program, she would or should reasonably take the latter offer instead of waiting until the hell April 15. 

I suppose my post should have gone here. I was wait listed at Michigan Ann Arbor. 

I was also asked to visit the campus during prospective's week (they would flip the bill). Is this a normal thing? 

Can you please elaborate?

They might not get the best impression of you. At my school for example, they never move people up the list after visits as a rule, but sometimes people get moved down.

This probably won't happen, but just know that there are risks, and with someplace like Michigan you will be evaluated vs the best students in the world. If people get the wrong impression of you, it is POSSIBLE that it hurts you.

Declined an offer of acceptance with a generous fellowship from UC Davis, hope this helps someone either get in off the waitlist or get better funding.

That makes sense: UC Davis is ranked below all the other 3 programs you are admitted to. Just out of curiosity, do those programs (Wisconsin, UIC, and UIUC) offer as good funding as UC Davis? 

That makes sense: UC Davis is ranked below all the other 3 programs you are admitted to. Just out of curiosity, do those programs (Wisconsin, UIC, and UIUC) offer as good funding as UC Davis?

I was offered fairly similar funding packages everywhere, especially when cost of living is taken into account.