Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

In regards to contacting POIs:

I did at every school I applied to, because I didn't want a repeat of a few years back when I discovered only after I applied, that my top program was not taking applicants in my subfield. At the very least, I think it's important, especially if you have a very specific interest like myself, to contact POIs to see if they're even taking on students. A few of the profs I contacted at Duke, UPenn, and Chapel Hill all told me to not apply because they are retiring, on sabbatical, or the department is rebuilding their modern Jewish Studies faculty (for some reason, they seem overly prone to die/retire). Just one email to each saved me a good $300 and some self-loathing.

I think contacting POI should be part of the application process. On top of what you said, its important to know where your POI's scholarly interests reside nowadays. I noticed alot of my POIs do not (or maybe the administration) update their department online profiles. I believe its important to see if your research interests align with your POIs current ones. Likewise, they might recommend a better POI at a different school, or in the same department.

In addition, I think its polite to introduce yourself via a personalized email. I feel like it makes a big difference when they examine your application, and it establishes a potential work relationship down the road. I was rejected from UCI, but my POI still told me to keep in contact with her, cause down the road, we'll eventually bump into each other.

hey, does anyone wanna claim the title of Univ Hawaii Manoa acceptance today? (it said that it was an intl. student like I am, but labeled as an "I" rather than "U" unlike me). PM me whoever that person is coz I also got accepted there too and I wanna get in touch w/ new students! :)

Completely unrelated post:

Walked into my advisor's office to talk about the tactical risks and benefits of using explosives in insurgency since 1890... Walked out talking about relative understandings of time in relation to physical and political proximity to conflict... this requires beer.

I hope that I am able some day to warp the mind of a young postgraduate just like what just happened to me.

PM headed your way.

For anyone waiting on Carnegie Mellon:

I just heard that the committee has started reviewing applications (got an email today saying they are missing my GRE scores -- ugh ETS). 

Thanks! I am waiting on them :) good luck getting your scores there and an acceptance :)

God I thought I was the only oneeeeeeeee

Do they still notify via post?

Unusually late...they should have come in ten days ago.

My POIs here havent been helpful in terms of time, either.