popular things you hate

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'm okay with beards as long as they are nicely maintained.  But please, let's get rid of the term "Lumbersexual".  How awful!  also, "cherry flavored" NyQuil.  It doesn't taste like cherries.  It tastes like red.  How something can taste like a color, I don't know, but it's the only way I can describe it.  Just like the green flavor tastes like green.  They are both nasty though.

Green Apple flavored jelly beans.  I want my lime flavored jellybeans, life savers, and skittles back...green apple is not a good replacement, it tastes like...well it just tastes nasty.

- Tribal tattoos

- MMA shirts

- Very large trucks        (citizen trucks, popular in Alaska)

- Fast food places         (all of them)

- Skateboarding 

- Marijuana 

Edited by Sword_Saint

America's 2-party political system

Large vehicles (jeeps, trucks/SUVs)

Spongebob Squarepants

Walmart

Chain restaurants including but not limited to: Crapplebees, Dead Lobster, OutCrap Steakhouse, Olive Garbage (really hate chain italian places claiming that they are "authentic")

Chain restaurants including but not limited to: Crapplebees, Dead Lobster, OutCrap Steakhouse, Olive Garbage (really hate chain italian places claiming that they are "authentic")

Chili's is definitely my most hated chain restaurant. My boyfriend likes to get a rise out of me once in a while by suggesting we go.

Chili's is definitely my most hated chain restaurant. My boyfriend likes to get a rise out of me once in a while by suggesting we go.

Reminds me of that Onion video where Applebee's put in an ad campaign to get hipsters to "ironically" go to Applebee's.

Edited by ss2player

The term "bae"

More like nonblack people who have appropriated the use of the word "bae" and use it in the most nonsensical fashion (eg. "totally enjoying bae sunday!" as a caption for a photo of two mimosas. Do you even know what the fu** bae means?!)

I guess more generally, any appropriation of black vernacular and running it into the ground with crappy usage. (See: fleek)

Edited by 1Q84

Shaving.  K-cups. Personal Hygiene Products. Youths,. 

SECONDING K-CUPS. I think Keurig coffee is really watery (I like extremely strong coffee) and the individual cups are just wasteful. I like to be able to brew excessive amounts of coffee at once and do not have the patience to brew one cup at a time...plus "normal" coffee is cheaper and that's always a good thing

The beard movement will pass, as most fashions do, and will one day reappear again. I remember reading an article that suggested we have reached the peak of the beard fad. The reasoning was that beards became popular because they were initially rare (and the novelty made them cool). Now that we are pretty saturated with beards, the novelty will wear off and some other rare fashion choice will catch on.

I also don't like the term bae, although honestly, I've only ever seen random Facebook posts making fun of it. I also don't like a lot of overused phrases that aren't really used correctly. Like when people were saying everything was epic. No, your sandwich is not epic. Yolo was kind of annoying, too, not because it was overused, but because I heard a lot of teens saying "you only yolo once."

More like nonblack people who have appropriated the use of the word "bae" and use it in the most nonsensical fashion (eg. "totally enjoying bae sunday!" as a caption for a photo of two mimosas. Do you even know what the fu** bae means?!)

I guess more generally, any appropriation of black vernacular and running it into the ground with crappy usage. (See: fleek)

A thousand times this. Somewhat related: white people with dreadlocks. THE WORST.

Somewhat related: white people with dreadlocks. THE WORST.

I frequently see/hear people say that they don't like dreadlocks on white people or find it offensive. However, I rarely see people complaining about black people having straight hair. What is the reasoning behind it? I understand the idea that it is considered "stealing culture" when a white person adopts something like dreadlocks that is associated with black culture. But why isn't there the same reaction when a black girl wears a weave that is pin straight and long or gets her hair relaxed? Is it because those women are trying to conform to western ideals of beauty, while white people with dreadlocks are being nonconformist and thus elicit negative feelings from the conforming portion of society? Is it a racist thing? Do white people disapprove because they have negative feelings about black culture, while black people disapprove because they don't want white people taking anything else away from them? Is it just that dreadlocks tend to be associated with spirituality or life philosophy while straight hair just happens to be what grows out of the heads of a lot of Europeans and Asians, so there's no need to be judgmental about someone with unnaturally straight hair?

Popular thing I hate: race. Race is one of the dumbest concepts ever invented, and yet I can't erase it from my vocabulary or thought processes. It's impossible to actually separate everyone into distinct groups because skin color is continuous, and even trying to do it by geography doesn't work out. Plus, at the end of the day, how we classify ourselves shouldn't have any impact on any aspect of our lives. Yet I still mentally identify people as black, white, asian, middle eastern, etc. It's ridiculous. Why don't I start identifying people as being Polish, English, French, German, etc... oh wait, I can't. Yet all of these heritages are unique and probably make a more logical classification scheme than trying to base it on skin color or continent of origin.

I frequently see/hear people say that they don't like dreadlocks on white people or find it offensive. However, I rarely see people complaining about black people having straight hair. What is the reasoning behind it? I understand the idea that it is considered "stealing culture" when a white person adopts something like dreadlocks that is associated with black culture. But why isn't there the same reaction when a black girl wears a weave that is pin straight and long or gets her hair relaxed? Is it because those women are trying to conform to western ideals of beauty, while white people with dreadlocks are being nonconformist and thus elicit negative feelings from the conforming portion of society? Is it a racist thing? Do white people disapprove because they have negative feelings about black culture, while black people disapprove because they don't want white people taking anything else away from them? Is it just that dreadlocks tend to be associated with spirituality or life philosophy while straight hair just happens to be what grows out of the heads of a lot of Europeans and Asians, so there's no need to be judgmental about someone with unnaturally straight hair?

Popular thing I hate: race. Race is one of the dumbest concepts ever invented, and yet I can't erase it from my vocabulary or thought processes. It's impossible to actually separate everyone into distinct groups because skin color is continuous, and even trying to do it by geography doesn't work out. Plus, at the end of the day, how we classify ourselves shouldn't have any impact on any aspect of our lives. Yet I still mentally identify people as black, white, asian, middle eastern, etc. It's ridiculous. Why don't I start identifying people as being Polish, English, French, German, etc... oh wait, I can't. Yet all of these heritages are unique and probably make a more logical classification scheme than trying to base it on skin color or continent of origin.

My perspective: since the history of locks is born out of a struggle against oppression and/or deep spiritual beliefs, yes, some white stoner kid in LA is being offensive by wearing them. He can never understand what they represent or how his life is (un)-affected by those struggles. White people have appropriated black culture because they CAN, they had the power to; taking underground movements and marketing them to the mainstream (just look at most music and its history). Relaxed hair and white beauty standards are force-fed to everyone else, that's the distinction. 

Race has influenced history for thousands of years and will continue to do so, we can't wish it away on an individual level. It will take active effort to remove the prejudices and there has been disagreement if race will ever go away, as humans have a natural desire to categorize. I think we're on the right track, and our moral compasses are accelerating as a whole, but it will be a long road.

I don't think you can attribute that much to a hairstyle.  A black kid in the rich part of Atlanta can't begin to understand most of those struggles either.

I think a distinction needs to be made. Race is fine.  It is a descriptor of certain physical characteristics people have.  Just like we would describe an oak tree as different than a pine.  The opposite- everyone being the same- would be boring.  The problem is the prejudice against people who are different and the fact that we use "race" as a way of doing so.  We think the only tree that is a proper tree is a pine and we try to cut the oak leaves to look like a pine. Or we think that because a tree has cones it is a longleaf pine from south Georgia and won't consider the possibility of it being a sequoia from northern California...

My perspective: since the history of locks is born out of a struggle against oppression and/or deep spiritual beliefs, yes, some white stoner kid in LA is being offensive by wearing them. He can never understand what they represent or how his life is (un)-affected by those struggles. White people have appropriated black culture because they CAN, they had the power to; taking underground movements and marketing them to the mainstream (just look at most music and its history). Relaxed hair and white beauty standards are force-fed to everyone else, that's the distinction. 

Not only this but white people can choose to throw off their locks and return to their privileged "normal" whenever they want (same goes for the current fad of big bushy beard/man-bun looks that are "hot" on white guys but Sikhs have been ridiculed for in America for ages). Black people cannot--and when they do straighten hair, etc. they run into "you want to be white" discourses.

To shadowclaw, there's lots of discussion in the black community regarding choices to straighten hair, wear color contacts, etc., and there's certainly no consensus yet.

I hate sensationalistic science TV shows. "This shark... is a KILLING MACHINE, SCULPTED BY NATURE TO DESTROY." "With the information from the human genome, SCIENTISTS NOW HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE PERFECT PEOPLE." And so on, ad infinitum.

When I'm in the lower 48 states, I hate how individuals always bring up one of the multiple popularized Alaska related TV shows. 

No, I don't watch Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, Alaska State Troopers, Klondike or anything about the Bering Sea. Stop asking me.

America's 2-party political system - yes very moronic how they disagree for the sake of disagreeing

Large vehicles (jeeps, trucks/SUVs) - tell me about it. I'm in texas and choking on redneck fumes

Spongebob Squarepants - you're crazy, spongebob is the fucking KING

Walmart - this probably justified, although I choose ignorance becase i like cheap stuff and $1.32 chocolate syrup

Maroon 5

I guess this love has taken it's toll on you.

When I'm in the lower 48 states, I hate how individuals always bring up one of the multiple popularized Alaska related TV shows. 

No, I don't watch Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, Alaska State Troopers, Klondike or anything about the Bering Sea. Stop asking me.

I'm from a Cajun family so I always get the "Do you know any of the swamp people from Swamp People?" when people find out.

It doesn't help that my uncle knows several...

I'm from a Cajun family so I always get the "Do you know any of the swamp people from Swamp People?" when people find out.

It doesn't help that my uncle knows several...

I share my last name with a famous actor, and I've had lots of people ask if we're related. I don't know why, since it's a fairly common last name.