popular things you hate

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I don't mind the taste of coffee, but I'm just incapable of handling caffeinated beverages. I stopped drinking cola when I was 7 because it kept me up all night (and I've tried it a handful of times since then, with pretty bad results), and the one time I had coffee I had a panic attack. Grad school's going to kill me, isn't

I made it through an engineering degree, a nutrition degree, and the first semester of a grad degree where I had to be up at 5 am three days a week. I still don't drink coffee. I'm a super taster, so coffee tastes incredibly bitter to me, just far, far too bitter to ever consume (lots of other things taste bitter to me too, so my husband actually eats more vegetables than his dietitian wife). If I've made it without drinking coffee, you'll make it too!

I do like non-bitter herbal teas, however. That's my caffeine in the mornings.

I made it through an engineering degree, a nutrition degree, and the first semester of a grad degree where I had to be up at 5 am three days a week. I still don't drink coffee. I'm a super taster, so coffee tastes incredibly bitter to me, just far, far too bitter to ever consume (lots of other things taste bitter to me too, so my husband actually eats more vegetables than his dietitian wife). If I've made it without drinking coffee, you'll make it too!

I do like non-bitter herbal teas, however. That's my caffeine in the mornings.

Yeah, I was mostly kidding, though I do get jealous of coffee drinkers on my more sleep-deprived days. Honestly I don't even want to try tea that has caffeine, because my reactions to soda and coffee have been so bad. I guess since I've made it this far, I'll be able to make it work. Thanks for the support! 

I second coffee. I like it in tiramisu (or perhaps it just pairs nicely with the rum). However, I just don't like the taste when I drink it. I've tried it black, with creamer and sugar, as a latte, iced, frozen... it just doesn't taste good. I suppose it's tolerable when I add cream and sugar, but that's because I fill half the cup with flavored creamer and use about 12 packets of sugar. But then it's usually cold.

Phew, glad I'm not the only one. Even when I add too much cream and sugar I hate the taste so I just don't bother. I don't drink alcohol either so I'm more or less a pariah in regards to beverages I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Phew, glad I'm not the only one. Even when I add too much cream and sugar I hate the taste so I just don't bother. I don't drink alcohol either so I'm more or less a pariah in regards to beverages I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I used to drink. For about a year and a half. Then my sister took me out and I'm surprised I didn't die. There's nothing like being carried out of the bar because you can't walk anymore. Since then alcohol hasn't quite sat well with me. I did drink on a weekend trip for a class during undergrad, and while my much younger classmates thought I was awesome, my 28 year old body that hadn't had a drink in six years did not feel awesome the next day.

So yeah, I don't do coffee or alcohol. I just enjoy occasional tea and frequent soda.

LOL, that's so cute. I don't know why people say grad school is so stressful and stuff. The courses I took weren't hard at all, and I took them at a top university for my field. Unless there's some other reason for it being stressful.

Sorry for derailing the thread for a sec, but this bothers me and I feel like it should be addressed. Most people do find grad school stressful, especially at first, including people who have already breezed through grad courses as undergrads. The expectations are just different, both from faculty and from yourself, and there's a lot of pressure in doing high quality research while juggling your other program requirements/your life. I would suggest waiting until you've been in grad school for awhile to adopt this kind of attitude (though even then it's still kind of ill-advised).

Back to the original thread:

I am in the same boat as others, coffee-wise! Inexplicably, drinking coffee (even one cup) gives me shoulder tension (?) and toothaches. Does anyone else experience this? But I can drink cups upon cups of black tea (which I do), with no problem, so it seems to be coffee-specific, rather than a caffeine thing.

I just don't understand how coffee can smell so good yet taste so bad. I could never wrap my mind around that and thus could never join team "coffee" (sometimes I wish I could - it seems like a popular team  -_- )

I feel exactly the same about the taste of... beer. It's like a terrible medicine taste, and the smell is no better. I just can't stand beer.

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't understand how coffee can smell so good yet taste so bad. I could never wrap my mind around that and thus could never join team "coffee" (sometimes I wish I could - it seems like a popular team  -_- )

I *love* coffee, but a lot of places serve shitty coffee. Starbucks, for example. The espresso tastes burnt! Ugh. I recommend trying cold brew some time if you ever get the chance. Because of the extraction process (room temperature for 12-18 hours) the resulting coffee isn't as acidic as other brewing methods. The resulting concentrate can then be used in iced drinks or hot-- just add about a shot of the concentrate and cold or warm water. Very tasty!

Since we're on the topic of beverages: strange flavored liquors like Fireball or cake vodka

Ugh. I used to enjoy Fireball, and now just thinking about it makes me gag.

Buzzfeed, Upworthy, and EliteDaily can go die in a fire.

Buzzfeed, Upworthy, and EliteDaily can go die in a fire.

YES. One person in my program just posts BuzzFeed articles and surveys nonstop on Facebook... I DON'T CARE WHICH JANE AUSTEN CHARACTER YOU HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED BY SOME RANDOM INTERNET SURVEY. Thank god for the "Unsubscribe" function in the Newsfeed.

Dr. Who and Monty Python, both of which have been ruined for me by their fan-base.

I don't really hate Dr. Who and I'm sure it's probably a cool show (I've watched only a handful of episodes), but it really seems like Dr. Who has become very fashionable and commercialized in recent years, and it has a lot of rabid fans. Maybe it's a local thing, but I first heard of Dr. Who maybe 10 years ago from someone who really enjoyed the show and had been watching it since he was a kid in the 80s. I didn't know anyone else who even heard of Dr. Who until maybe 4 years ago when it suddenly became really cool to like Dr. Who. Maybe that's when the newer version of the show really started to take off.

Whatever the reason, since then, Dr. Who has been taking over and I feel like it's at a point where a lot of people don't like the show as much as they like being a fan of the show, if that makes sense. I also find out strange that nobody seems to be into the older episodes from the 60s to the 80s. Maybe the new version is just that much better, but I feel like people who are such die hard fans and walk around dressed like the doctor should have a greater interest in what came before.

Agreed to Dr. Who, Supernatural and (may I add) Sherlock.

But for the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would get annoyed by people reciting Holy Grail quotes verbatim ad nauseum. :P

I love Doctor Who (both the old series and the new one). However I absolutely cannot stand Rose in her episodes with the Tenth Doctor. I tolerate her with the Ninth Doctor but find her incredibly annoying with the Tenth Doctor. I also think she is far from the best companion ever. 

I also find out strange that nobody seems to be into the older episodes from the 60s to the 80s. Maybe the new version is just that much better, but I feel like people who are such die hard fans and walk around dressed like the doctor should have a greater interest in what came before. 

I also wish that most people would watch more of the old series. For some reason it annoys me when people say they are huge fans of Doctor Who but have no idea about anything that happened in the earlier seasons. 

Edited by sweetpearl16

Whatever the reason, since then, Dr. Who has been taking over and I feel like it's at a point where a lot of people don't like the show as much as they like being a fan of the show, if that makes sense. I also find out strange that nobody seems to be into the older episodes from the 60s to the 80s. Maybe the new version is just that much better, but I feel like people who are such die hard fans and walk around dressed like the doctor should have a greater interest in what came before.

While I agree with you, in a sense (as someone who loooves Doctor Who, because I genuinely enjoy it and didn't even realize it had such a cult following until much later), the older episodes are just of a completely different caliber than the new ones. In my book, Doctor Who is already cheesy sci-fi (part of why I love it), and I can see why people may find it difficult to watch if you add that to 1960s style television.. it isn't for everyone. I haven't seen much of the older ones although I plan to, because I'm curious about the storyline. Though I will agree that many people simply seem to have no interest in its beginning and that's odd.

And to contribute, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person I know who finds Tosh.O horribly unfunny. And I think Bo Burnham is clever but he just doesn't make me laugh.

And to contribute, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person I know who finds Tosh.O horribly unfunny.

I liked Daniel Tosh's older stand-up, but Tosh.0 is gross. I tried watching it for a bit because I thought he was a good comedian, and I hoped that it would get better over time, but it never did and instead just made me angry. And I know at least a few people who agree, so you're definitely not alone!

I don't like Dr. Who. Not just because of the fans -- the show itself is terrible!!!! I just don't see the appeal at all, I think it's borderline unwatchable. But I'm an original Star Trek lover, which is pretty campy and has its own faults so I understand that people have their preferences :) I'm just sick of being forced by friends to watch episodes of it with them...it's just so bad...