Decision Making: A Forum for those of us making any type of decision

I figured I would start a topic/thread for people debating programs/reapplying. I haven't seen one, but perhaps another exists that I missed.

Edited by Horb

I’m so glad you created this thread. I’m having such a difficult time with the decision making process. The thing that terrifies me most is the thought of turning down offers this year, then reapplying next year and not getting any bites. 

Kamisha, I totally understand that feeling. I'm in the boat where, if I get that fellowship, I'd be tempted to see how well I do again next year. But I'm also terrified of losing out on the great programs I have been accepted into. What is your biggest fear with choosing one you got into?

Kamisha, I totally understand that feeling. I'm in the boat where, if I get that fellowship, I'd be tempted to see how well I do again next year. But I'm also terrified of losing out on the great programs I have been accepted into. What is your biggest fear with choosing one you got into?

I turned down one program that I was excited about because I didn’t get offered funding. As for the other one, I just don’t know that I can effectively pursue my area of interest there. I don’t think I would have the faculty support to do so. Obviously that’s a huge thing in a PhD program, so it might be better for me to do the MA in Film Studies at East Anglia to gain the skills I’m lacking and (hopefully) defer for a year. Otherwise, I’ll have to apply again. That being said, I’m still waiting to hear back from three schools who, when I emailed for confirmation of my rejection, told me that my file was still under consideration. 

What are your biggest concerns?

Edited by Kamisha

I just found out yesterday that I received the Kirkland Fellowship at U Florida, so deciding between U Oregon and U Florida has become much more difficult. I wish I could clone myself and go to both programs, or that Hermoine's time turner existed in real life. 

I just found out yesterday that I received the Kirkland Fellowship at U Florida, so deciding between U Oregon and U Florida has become much more difficult. I wish I could clone myself and go to both programs, or that Hermoine's time turner existed in real life.

I'm sorry that you're in a stressful situation, but it really is a great thing to have to stress out about! Viable options!

Congratulations, that's awesome :)

I could start a separate thread for this, but I feel like maybe I'll get more responses here. Here's my dilemma; I can move across the country, or I can go to a Canadian university. I've heard that it's more difficult to get a tenure-track position in the U.S. with a Canadian PhD, and that it might be hard for an American to live in Canada long term. 

I don't mind staying in Canada, I'm not very patriotic, and I don't need to work for a high ranked or research university (as long as I can do some research). I am very excited about two of the Canadian universities to which I applied, for various reasons. 

With all of those factors up front, I'm hoping that some people here will be able to offer advice. 

Right now, I'm torn between University of Delaware and Stony Brook. I'm leaning towards Stony Brook, just because they made me a sweet financial offer, but I'm nervous and excited to have these two good options on the table! Any insights between the programs are appreciated :)

I could start a separate thread for this, but I feel like maybe I'll get more responses here. Here's my dilemma; I can move across the country, or I can go to a Canadian university. I've heard that it's more difficult to get a tenure-track position in the U.S. with a Canadian PhD, and that it might be hard for an American to live in Canada long term. 

I don't mind staying in Canada, I'm not very patriotic, and I don't need to work for a high ranked or research university (as long as I can do some research). I am very excited about two of the Canadian universities to which I applied, for various reasons. 

With all of those factors up front, I'm hoping that some people here will be able to offer advice. 

What would make you more happy? Cananda or moving cross-country? There are many factors to consider: faculty you want to work with, financial aid options (does one give you more money?), fit, and yes, location. You'll be there for probably 5 years if not more and you should be able to be happy with the location. If all of these factors are about equal, my question would by why risk worse job prospects when it is already terrible? What draws you to each uni and does that override the cons? 

Unfortunately, it isn't really about what makes me happy.. for a variety of reasons, I would love to move cross country - but it less feasible due to family, etc. Therefore, I am wondering if anyone could comment on the idea that Canadian universities would result in being less marketable. I ask this mostly because I have heard it from a couple of people studying in Canada, but my advisor (who, admittedly, is many years removed from the process) thinks it won't be a problem at all. 

Every time I think about the fact that I have to turn down the opportunity to study at two of these final three schools, I want to puke. Why can't I be three people at once? Surely there's a way. Surely.

This. So much this. I just sent a decline email to an unfunded MA program yesterday, one that there's absolutely no chance I'm attending and I still wanted to puke. I shudder to think of when I have to turn down the other two. And yes to the multiple-future fantasy. I often think about that these days. I also want one version of me to remain here and now and continue on this life. Is that weird? Probably. Very likely. Oh well.

My problem is that what I want to eventually do my PhD on and do for a living spans three fields... literature, creative writing, and theater. Everyone in my family went into law or medicine so I literally have no idea what I'm doing. How do I even get started trying to decide what TYPE of programs to look into?

As for the other one, I just don’t know that I can effectively pursue my area of interest there. I don’t think I would have the faculty support to do so. 

Is this program a PhD? I would say to try to visit the campus if you can and actually speak to faculty. I thought I had great fit at one of my offers and mediocre at another but after visiting the campuses those perceptions have flip-flopped. Professors don't seem to keep their faculty pages updated and what is listed there might not offer an accurate picture of what they're currently working on. I also noticed that some professors who didn't seem to be suitable as advisors from their websites had a lot in common with me or let me know they would welcome working with me when I spoke to them in person. 

I can't speak to the American living in Canada side of your question but from what I've seen, it will be more difficult to get a TT job (especially at a more prestigious institution) with a degree from any program outside of the country (except Oxford/Cambridge). I worked in the admissions office, the registration office, and in the office of the president at my undergrad university and I saw/overheard a lot whenever there was hiring going on. The degrees awarded at institutions outside of the U.S. are valued less than those awarded here. Also, after double-checking with my advisors to get a more current opinion (I love Canada and wouldn't have minded living there for a while) it just doesn't seem like a great idea unless you are able to publish in an elite journal or two or do something similar while in your program to raise your profile. If you are looking at teaching at a CC or in the middle of nowhere (which isn't a bad thing) it seems like it's less of an issue. 

Is this program a PhD? I would say to try to visit the campus if you can and actually speak to faculty. I thought I had great fit at one of my offers and mediocre at another but after visiting the campuses those perceptions have flip-flopped. Professors don't seem to keep their faculty pages updated and what is listed there might not offer an accurate picture of what they're currently working on. I also noticed that some professors who didn't seem to be suitable as advisors from their websites had a lot in common with me or let me know they would welcome working with me when I spoke to them in person. 

it is for a PhD program and I actually did visit the campus. I thought it was a better fit before I went. 

it is for a PhD program and I actually did visit the campus. I thought it was a better fit before I went. 

darn, hate it when that happens. :/ still the east anglia thing sounds super cool so at least there's that. :) I'll be hoping good things for your other 3. 

I am having troubles deciding between Tulane or WashU for a degree in Hispanic Studies and Comparative Literature. WUSTL has more generous funding and is better in gender and sexuality studies. Tulane is better at Brazilian Studies. I´m confused. Any one knows something about these programs? 

Aspire, what're your areas of interest/specialization? I ask because, at least for medievalists, the University of Toronto has an excellent, excellent reputation in the US among medievalists, anyway. I'm familiar with several scholars, including one professor at the school I'll be attending, who completed their PhD's at Toronto. That may not hold as true for other areas, granted. I was also under the impression (mistaken? I don't know) that McGill had a good reputation too in the US, but that view is likely biased by the fact that Anne Carson, one of my favorite contemporary poets and also a fabulous classicist, completed her PhD there. 

People with Toronto PhDs frequently get jobs in America, especially if they work in a medieval or early modern specialty. McGill, Queen's, Alberta, UBC and Western Ontario PhDs sometimes do, too, but (and I'm basing this on the job placement information these departments post on their sites) usually at smaller regional schools. Aspire, are there any factors that would rule out your teaching in Canada? I'm entirely a product of the Canadian system so I am naturally a booster, but in any case I think there are many good things to be said for it.

Edited by graphgraphe

Thanks, everyone. I'd actually be (at least) about an hour outside of Toronto. I hear, though, that the placement rate (in Canada) is very high for one of the universities to which I applied. I'm not necessarily going to rule out staying and teaching in Canada. 

Not sure if there's already a forum more specifically tailored to this, but here's my current problem:

At the moment , I'm most strongly torn between two programs. One is a five year PhD program, and the other is an MA program that all but guarantees you will be accepted into their PhD program, but also gives you the opportunity to apply to other PhD programs. Also, both offer adequate funding, so it probably wouldn't come down to which one is offering more money (I currently only have my BA). 

I visited the MA program a few weeks ago and really liked it, and will be visiting the PhD program soon. 

Right now, I like the idea of having the opportunity to apply to PhD programs with the added experience of having an MA in progress, and the added research focus from having more study time and course work, but I'm not sure I should pass up a direct-admit PhD opportunity. Of course, if I visit the PhD program and really feel that it's wrong for me, I probably won't hesitate much to pursue the MA/eventual PhD program.

Any thoughts?? Would you pursue an MA and apply for the PhD again (hoping for a perfect fit), or take the PhD opportunity you already have?

Also, to comment on the Canadian PhD discussion, I've honestly never heard anything bad about Canadian schools in my US undergrad. One of my favorite professors got her BA from McGill, and she's incredibly smart. I would think a Canadian PhD would be just as well respected in the US.