Admission and Wait List Declines

Wait For It...

So, one of the schools that wait listed me is Virginia. I told Paul Humphreys in an email, well over a month ago, that I'd like to be removed from the wait list. A few weeks later I received an email from Humphreys saying that I was still on the wait list and urging me to be patient. I promptly replied that I had already asked to be removed.

Today I received yet another email from Humphreys saying that if someone declines a current offer, I stand a very good chance of being admitted. Highly puzzled, I called the philosophy department and left a message, the gist of which was that, now for the third time, I'd like to be removed from the wait list.

Has anything similar happened to anyone else?

So, one of the schools that wait listed me is Virginia. I told Paul Humphreys in an email, well over a month ago, that I'd like to be removed from the wait list. A few weeks later I received an email from Humphreys saying that I was still on the wait list and urging me to be patient. I promptly replied that I had already asked to be removed.

Today I received yet another email from Humphreys saying that if someone declines a current offer, I stand a very good chance of being admitted. Highly puzzled, I called the philosophy department and left a message, the gist of which was that, now for the third time, I'd like to be removed from the wait list.

Perhaps your emails are going into his spam folder? I've had to send multiple declension emails to a couple of programs before they were received, and I assume there was some sort of malfunction that kept the first ones from going through. Three times seems odd though. Hopefully the voice message is effective.

Off the wait-list at USC. 30k/year for 5 years. Sometimes dreams come true. I guess I made a good impression at the Open House. :)

Congrats!!!

Last Friday, I saw Prof. Soames give his 'Propositions are Cognitive Acts' talk at the RMPC. I'm still convinced his thesis commits a category error, but he certainly had interesting arguments!

Tell them you've changed your phone number to…..(insert Zizeksucks's phonenumber).

I am on the waitlist for Virginia's department, but have not had a similar issue. I do know though that I've read some peoples' comments here in the past who were waitlisted, and who later turned down the waitlist offer, but did not subsequently have a problem notifying the department, or with the department receiving notice of their decision.

Incidentally, and not to the point you are making, I would imagine then that for me, that since I haven't received a similar email from Humphreys about my chances being very good, that my chances are likewise less than good.

Incidentally, and not to the point you are making, I would imagine then that for me, that since I haven't received a similar email from Humphreys about my chances being very good, that my chances are likewise less than good.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Regardless, Humphreys did just respond to my most recent email, and so now I know that he knows that I'd like to be removed from the wait list. So, you're that much more likely to get an offer.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Regardless, Humphreys did just respond to my most recent email, and so now I know that he knows that I'd like to be removed from the wait list. So, you're that much more likely to get an offer.

Perhaps, slightly more likely to get an offer, but it's been a generally disappointing application season, and I am reluctant to get my hopes up again.

What is your AOI, may I ask?

Two questions:

1) Do you guys know if departments will make decisions on wait-listed students no later than the 15th? Or could it conceivably be days or weeks after the 15th?

2) Imagine you're wait-listed at two schools, X and Y. X is your top choice, but you get a call from Y wanting to admit you. How would you respond to Y? I'm just wondering if a school will accept someone else in your place if you don't accept the offer immediately.

Edited by zblaesi

Two questions:

1) Do you guys know if departments will make decisions on wait-listed students no later than the 15th? Or could it conceivably be days or weeks after the 15th?

2) Imagine you're wait-listed at two schools, X and Y. X is your top choice, but you get a call from Y wanting to admit you. How would you respond to Y? I'm just wondering if a school will accept someone else in your place if you don't accept the offer immediately.

(1) It could conceivably be days after the 15th. I'm not sure about weeks, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened before.

(2) If you haven't heard from X by the night of the 15th, you should accept at Y. If X then admits you after the 15th, you will have to get a written release from Y in order to accept X's offer. My understanding is that it's not difficult to get written releases.

Also, if you get an offer on the 15th from Y, and you're not sure you want to accept, you should just ask Y how long you have until the offer goes to someone else.

Edited by aduh

(1) It could conceivably be days after the 15th. I'm not sure about weeks, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened before.

(2) If you haven't heard from X by the night of the 15th, you should accept at Y. If X then admits you after the 15th, you will have to get a written release from Y in order to accept X's offer. My understanding is that it's not difficult to get written releases.

Also, if you get an offer on the 15th from Y, and you're not sure you want to accept, you should just ask Y how long you have until the offer goes to someone else.

Yeah. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the event that UW-M calls me on the 15th earlier in the day, and yet I'm still waiting on UT. UT is my top choice, but I'd be happy to attend UW-M, so I want to make sure I don't inadvertently screw myself over.

I got in off the waitlist at Georgia State today. I'll be removing myself from LSU's funding waitlist and declining SF State shortly. I also declined American University's MA a while back. 

Edited by AnxiousAndy

Yeah. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the event that UW-M calls me on the 15th earlier in the day, and yet I'm still waiting on UT. UT is my top choice, but I'd be happy to attend UW-M, so I want to make sure I don't inadvertently screw myself over.

If Wisconsin calls you (first) on Tuesday, say you need a couple of hours, and then frantically start calling people at Texas.

EDIT: I'd make a point to have the phone numbers for the relevant people at Texas (DGA, DGS, POI's) on hand by Tuesday morning.

Edited by perpetualapplicant

People have told me that this is possible, but I don't understand it. What would have to happen for a department not to be able to inform an applicant on the wait list that (s)he has or has not been admitted by Tuesday at 11:59 p.m.?