Anyone else having a hard time finding a great travel companion?

stella_ella

Maybe you should conquer whatever makes you uncomfortable about traveling alone, if possible. Traveling alone can be very rewarding.

If you can't, see if any of your friends are interested in traveling with you, at least part of the way. I'm sure there is someone who would travel with you, if you ask around enough. Even look at an adventure/traveling club in your area.

I am actually going to give opposite advice from above. I am also a female and I think it is good that you are being cautious. Not trying to completely freak out people here but while traveling in South America with two friends (one male, one female) last summer, we were mugged at knife point buy a group of 5 men. It is scary to think of the different ways that this situation could have gone if the male friend had not been there.

If you want to go to Charleston or the beach then sure, go alone... though that doesnt sounds like any fun to me. If you want to travel to unfamiliar place though then try to fine a group of friends and I personally think that it is important to have at least one guy in the group.

Luckily, one of my best friends is as big of a traveler as I am! I definitely wish I had more travel buddies though. My fiance is a banker and his schedule makes traveling with him difficult at times.

while traveling in South America

I hope you didn't go out to the Rio beaches after sunset, because even a US Army battalion wouldn't have saved you.

And I think OP means more pedestrian discomforts, like eating alone in restaurants or not being able to split the hotel bill or having no one to share worries and frustrations with. In this sense, traveling alone is a personality thing. I personally hate traveling in big groups because everybody wants different things and it's so disorganized - but I'm cool with traveling with one or two close friends, or even with a big group that has a specific goal in mind. I have friends who swear by traveling alone; I have friends who have bought a one way ticket to a country where they've never been, and ended up staying there for six months working illegally in a restaurant. Okay, I have only one friend like that and she's crazy. But she's still alive.

OP: if you're really determined to travel on your lonesome, start small. How comfortable are you going to bars alone? Parties where you don't know anyone? If you have the funds, try going on a month-long immersive language course or something like that. At least that way you have somewhere to sleep and something to do.

Thanks for the responses!

I should clarify: I wouldn't mind traveling alone if I feel that I can be safe (safety is a huge concern!) and if I had a better sense of direction... I'm completely fine with going to the beach by myself or even going to any big city in the country. But I guess I have issues traveling outside the country alone since I can no longer rely heavily on my phone if I get lost =P

It would also be nice to have someone to talk to during the trip, especially if I am going somewhere with language barriers. And unfortunately, I don't have the funds to do an immersive language course (I've looked into several), but that is definitely something that I would want to do. I'm very good at having conversations with new people, but find it hard to trust strangers.

Go to a hostel in your first destination. Stay there a while. Make some friends and hitch with them.

Great advice.

Also, I know tour groups aren't as adventurous(and possibly more expensive), but you still get to travel and stay safe.

I made a topic somewhat similar to this, someone mentioned that there are forums that have other people traveling and you can possibly meet up with them

Yeah, there's a dating site that you can sign up to and people can pay you to travel with them. You should check it out. Might bag yourself a manzzz.

And unfortunately, I don't have the funds to do an immersive language course (I've looked into several), but that is definitely something that I would want to do. I'm very good at having conversations with new people, but find it hard to trust strangers.

Which countries have you looked into, may I ask? If you want to learn Spanish, Guatemala is quite inexpensive, as well as Honduras, Ecuador, Bolivia and less touristy parts of Peru. You could get room and board with a family in addition to 25 hours of private language classes a week in Guatemala for around $200 US/wk. Now that's a deal!

I'm sure you would meet lots of people at school to travel with every weekend on day and overnight trips and also to do some traveling once you're done with your classes. I'd seriously consider it if you're interested in learning Spanish.

Edited by jenste

Which countries have you looked into, may I ask? If you want to learn Spanish, Guatemala is quite inexpensive, as well as Honduras, Ecuador, Bolivia and less touristy parts of Peru. You could get room and board with a family in addition to 25 hours of private language classes a week in Guatemala for around $200 US/wk. Now that's a deal!

I'm sure you would meet lots of people at school to travel with every weekend on day and overnight trips and also to do some traveling once you're done with your classes. I'd seriously consider it if you're interested in learning Spanish.

Jenste, could you please tell me more about those classes in Guatemala? Is there a set time for departure, or is it year-round? I wouldn't mind learning Spanish. Currently I'm trying to learn some French.

And what would that website be? I'm always looking to snag a man ok?!

Yeah, there's a dating site that you can sign up to and people can pay you to travel with them. You should check it out. Might bag yourself a manzzz.

I dunno... sounds kinda sketchy =P Have you or do you have friends who have tried this

I guess what you're saying is that you want to meet more friends and find ones that like to travel!

Yes a good travel buddy would be nice! My close friends either all have full time jobs now (entry-level grueling work) or are in grad school. Our schedules just don't seem to sync.

I dunno... sounds kinda sketchy =P Have you or do you have friends who have tried this

Lol I was joking, I just figured a funny response would be better than a rude one.

Anyways I think that if you're on a travel forum and you mention that you are traveling somewhere and happen to find someone else going to the same place I don't see a problem with getting to know them and maybe hanging out wherever you decide to travel. Idk but I don't even think a dating site like that exists I think that person above was just trying to be funny lol

You should look into international volunteer projects! I went to Cambodia by myself last fall. There were about 20-30 volunteers staying at the same place as me, and most of us travelled alone. It was great! The volunteer organization helped alleviate my safety fears. They picked me up at the airport and made sure my transportation to/from my project was arranged. I made a lot of friends and got to explore the country with them in our down time. Without a doubt, it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. Check it out! I volunteered with IVHQ and I w

Jenste, could you please tell me more about those classes in Guatemala? Is there a set time for departure, or is it year-round? I wouldn't mind learning Spanish. Currently I'm trying to learn some French.

Stella_ella,

There are at least 70 different Spanish schools in Guatemala. I went to Quetzaltenango many years ago because I wanted to be in a city with lots of things to do and it's less touristy than the city of Antigua. But you can find Spanish schools all over the country. Classes start every Monday. Since they're private lessons, you can start and end anytime you want. But schools are busiest from June-August.

Here are some links to get you started:

http://www.xelapages.com/schools.htm

(I went to Guatemalensis a long time ago, but there are other good schools here too)

http://www.guatemala365.com/

I'd recommend picking up a good travel guide from a library or bookstore and browsing through to get recommendations for language schools and to help you figure out which town or city you want to go to.

Guatemala is beautiful. There are lots of Indigenous markets, mountains and (inactive) volcanos that you can climb. You should also visit the Mayan ruins in the northern part of the country and visit the sub-tropical rainforest.

Happy travels!

Edited by jenste

If you want to learn French, there are some cheap courses in Canada, but I have to forewarn you that the accent is nothing like European French and the slang is quite different. But the grammar you'd be learning in class would be international French. Anyhow, if you're interested in that it's about $2000 for 5 weeks of class, including room and board (with a family or in a residence). You get classes all morning from Monday to Friday and there a lots of activities in the afternoon including outings.

This program is a lot of fun. I attended the school in Trois-Rivieres a few years back. You aren't allowed to speak a language other than French. If you do and you get caught you are kicked out of the program after the third time (but I'm pretty sure they only enforce this rule in towns). In Trois-Rivieres, they even have informants and staff will tell their family and friends. So you could be in a shop, restaurant or taxi and if they hear English they will ask for your student card and they will call the school and report you to the principal. It's all in good fun though and you will learn a lot of French in only 5 weeks. I don't know anybody who didn't enjoy it.

Anyhow, here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.myexplore.ca/en/where/

It says applications are closed but that's for Canadians because the government offers free bursaries to Canadians and that deadline has passed. Just contact tghe school directly if interested.

If you want to learn French, there are some cheap courses in Canada, but I have to forewarn you that the accent is nothing like European French and the slang is quite different. But the grammar you'd be learning in class would be international French. Anyhow, if you're interested in that it's about $2000 for 5 weeks of class, including room and board (with a family or in a residence). You get classes all morning from Monday to Friday and there a lots of activities in the afternoon including outings.

This program is a lot of fun. I attended the school in Trois-Rivieres a few years back. You aren't allowed to speak a language other than French. If you do and you get caught you are kicked out of the program after the third time (but I'm pretty sure they only enforce this rule in towns). In Trois-Rivieres, they even have informants and staff will tell their family and friends. So you could be in a shop, restaurant or taxi and if they hear English they will ask for your student card and they will call the school and report you to the principal. It's all in good fun though and you will learn a lot of French in only 5 weeks. I don't know anybody who didn't enjoy it.

Anyhow, here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.myexplore.ca/en/where/

It says applications are closed but that's for Canadians because the government offers free bursaries to Canadians and that deadline has passed. Just contact tghe school directly if interested.

If this interests you, I highly recommend Sherbooke if you don't want to be in the big city. I'm finishing up my undergrad there and I love the town. It is also a good starting location to travel around.