Taking A Year Off To Work

So first off, if you were awesome and got into a grad program, congratulations!!! If not, or you aren't sure yet because you are still waiting to hear back from some programs, or you just really want to take a gap year.... You're not alone! I wanted to make a special topic for those who want to talk about their "plan B" or are in need of ideas for one! So, if not grad school, what are your plans for the fall?

I DID end up getting into a grad school program that I wanted to attend, but my back-up plan was to apply to the Peace Corps and the Foreign Service and see if either of these things panned out ;) I've been living overseas for a long time and have been loving it, so I would have been happy to go overseas again with a new program/job ;)

Edited by maelia8

I DID end up getting into a grad school program that I wanted to attend, but my back-up plan was to apply to the Peace Corps and the Foreign Service and see if either of these things panned out ;) I've been living overseas for a long time and have been loving it, so I would have been happy to go overseas again with a new program/job ;)

Congratulations!!! I have thought about the Peace Corps before, but I wish there was a 12 month program. I have a couple more schools to hear from, but my current back-up plan is to work in ABA therapy for a year, retake the GRE, and take grad courses toward a BCaBA certification. :)

I only applied to one program my first time around due to family constraints (location & needed part time this year at least as an adjustment). I have been volunteering for a year with a local fluency expert (my desired area of interest) and she just offered me paid employment....very flexible. I will work with her whether or not I get in but will work more hours if I have the extra time (have 2 small children)

Have you considered Americorps? Most programs are 12 months, and the one I am currently finishing up is 10! I'm in my second year and also volunteering/working a part-time job on the side. It's been hard at times (I miss sleeping in!) but It has allowed me to save up some money and also gain some experience working with marginalized/vulnerable populations. And you can't beat the education award upon successful completion of the program! Look into it if you're interested (and research research research!)

I think I am going to make my degree a research degree in first semester, and continue my volunteering with an SLP. Then after I reapply, second semester I'm thinking about working on my French/traveling to India for a month. 

I have not applied yet but in this situation I actually would love to teach oversees a second time. I'm looking into the JET Programme in Japan to get closer to the East Asian languages and cultures  :)

Edited by waitwhichgaby

I was fortunate enough to get into a grad program, but my backup was to join AmeriCorps for a 10/12 month program. I had worked AmeriCorps previously and it was tons of fun... though I would do their LiteracyCorps as opposed to their EnvironmentalCorps (my previous membership)

I know I should get more prereqs done online (I only have 3) but the idea of teaching abroad is kinda tempting. Anyone know anything about the experience or whether or not it is valuable for getting into grad school?

I think I am going to make my degree a research degree in first semester, and continue my volunteering with an SLP. Then after I reapply, second semester I'm thinking about working on my French/traveling to India for a month. 

I went to India for a month and it was amazing! Do it!

If I don't get in, then I've been thinking about teaching English abroad for a year or so. Or possibly taking Spanish classes/ getting a European masters at a Spanish university (my boyfriend is Spanish and lives in Spain currently). This way I can at least build up my Spanish, hopefully get a B2 certificate to prove proficiency, or even get a Masters in the Neuroscience of Language (they university near him has cheap 1year Masters degrees that are interesting like this one). Of course this is a Plan B, but at least I'd have this then hopefully get in the next time around!

I want to third the Americorps suggestion!  My volunteer teaching program was through Americorps and while it was extremely difficult, I felt blessed to be able to work in underserved communities. :)  You can use the education award toward tuition for your SLP program, too!

I'm really excited because I got an email this morning requesting I come in for an interview at an ABA clinic! Maybe some work experience will strengthen my application and next year I will get some good offers! Plus, it doesn't hurt to make some money right?

To those of you who are wondering whether English teaching overseas can strengthen your application: it can! I've been teaching English overseas in Germany for two years (one year with Fulbright, one year with the German government program, PAD), and it vastly improved my credentials for grad school application. Since I study history, I did some great history-related internships in museums while I was there, as well as beefing up on the modern languages necessary for research in my field (German and French). At the very least, if you're going the professor/teacher/lecturer route, it will give you some great hands-on teaching experience. 

I took a year off and worked as an SLPA. It gave me GREAT experience, and I was under an amazing SLP who taught me so much more than I ever expected! I'd definitely suggest that if it's an option. If not, I also looked into doing Americorps, and this is a great option. Pay really isn't very good, but you get a pretty good tuition award and a biweekly housing amount. They're both great options :) Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I taught ESL for 4 years, 3 years in Korea at public and private schools (K-9th) and 1 year in San Diego with adults (mostly refugees). Teaching in Korea is a pretty good gig if you're single/married but don't have kids. They pay for your housing and flight, plus your monthly salary and pension. Without a credential or certificate, you can't get that kind of paid teaching experience in the states (not in CA anyway)! There are so many parallels between teaching ESL and teaching speech/language, so it's really good experience.

Unfortunately, I got waitlisted at the only school I applied to (UNCO-Online). Now I'm working as an assistant in a Special Ed pre-K classroom, and I just started doing unofficial speech therapy with the kids, so I'm building my experience. In the fall, I'll be starting the SLPA program at Northridge (assuming I get in), and I already have a job lined up for after I get the certificate.  I'll be applying to Northridge in the summer and some other schools (don't know which yet) in the fall.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by laurengreen1

I took more like a year and a half off to really figure out what I wanted to do. I worked at a pediatric speech clinic and then worked as a nanny. I got accepted to grad school and start this summer. It definitely doesn't hurt your application if you have a gap year - I spoke with a few girls in my program and they did the same thing. Gives you some real world experience to add to your resume.

This year has been a learning experience for me, financially and mentally. I was able to get into an accelerated grad program for teaching, I attended my first orientation yesterday. This was my plan B and for the first time this year, I feel like I'm going in the right direction. Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna continue for speech but I'm glad I listened to my SLP professor. She knew I was gonna continue for speech and wanted to stay in NY. Her advice was that in the time that I don't get accepted into a Speech grad program, I should pursue other related grad programs. That's just what I'm doing and even better that I'm attending a CUNY so it won't burn a hole in my pocket. I just looked at my class schedule and it feels good going back to school. 

My Checklist

1)get more experience in a school with an SLP

2)get all A's

3)study for the GRE  <_<

4)get that degree!!

Not at the finish line yet, but getting there..loll 

This year has been a learning experience for me, financially and mentally. I was able to get into an accelerated grad program for teaching, I attended my first orientation yesterday. This was my plan B and for the first time this year, I feel like I'm going in the right direction. Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna continue for speech but I'm glad I listened to my SLP professor. She knew I was gonna continue for speech and wanted to stay in NY. Her advice was that in the time that I don't get accepted into a Speech grad program, I should pursue other related grad programs. That's just what I'm doing and even better that I'm attending a CUNY so it won't burn a hole in my pocket. I just looked at my class schedule and it feels good going back to school.

My Checklist

1)get more experience in a school with an SLP

2)get all A's

3)study for the GRE <_<

4)get that degree!!

Not at the finish line yet, but getting there..loll

Great plan. I wish you luck!

Thanks arcanelady27 I still see Brooklyn college in your signature, so I'm crossing my fingers for you! Keep your head up!!

Thanks LDadvocate

I am still anxiously waiting. I hope not in vain.