Fall 2015 Applicants

Does anyone here have previous experience/knowledge on Penn State?

Interviewed in January, and mum's been the word since. I know they're supposed to notify soon, but there's been silence on all fronts, even when I emailed in a question.

Congrats Faulty!  I did my undergrad at UMass Amherst so feel free to PM me with any questions about campus and the surrounding area.

PS: You are going to love Amherst!  The area is beautiful and the town has a cute little downtown area with some great little shops. Rao's has the best coffee, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  

I think you'll really enjoy working within the department as well - it's small and pretty close knit, and all the professors are fantastic, especially on the physical/arch side of things.  Lynnette Sievert (my undergrad advisor), Ventura Perez, and Mike Sugarman were my favorite faculty members, so you are in for a great experience if any one of them is your POI!

Edited by museum_geek

If anyone is considering CUNY and has questions, I know the department and faculty well and am happy to answer PMs about it. Also, keep in mind they have great funding packages now, didn't before but that changed not long ago. They also have a lot of power over who they fund and how much they give. That said, if you don't already live in NYC, whatever they offer you, take that amount and cut it in half, then imagine that is how much money you have. It's a challenging city to live in as a grad student.

If anyone is considering CUNY and has questions, I know the department and faculty well and am happy to answer PMs about it. Also, keep in mind they have great funding packages now, didn't before but that changed not long ago. They also have a lot of power over who they fund and how much they give. That said, if you don't already live in NYC, whatever they offer you, take that amount and cut it in half, then imagine that is how much money you have. It's a challenging city to live in as a grad student.

Has CUNY made offers? I thought they just sent out an email about interest and requesting some phone chats? A POI I met with in the fall just told me they were deliberating, which is why I'm asking. 

Has CUNY made offers? I thought they just sent out an email about interest and requesting some phone chats? A POI I met with in the fall just told me they were deliberating, which is why I'm asking. 

As far as I know they have just informed people on the shortlist! 

In the past they've done an interesting ranking system at CUNY where the faculty go through the applicants and assign numbers to candidates, then they score and rank - rankings could be based on things as varied as whether they know or trust the letter writers, where the student studied before, how good a fit they are for the whole department, the impression they give from in person meetings, phone calls, and such, and even things like whether the student has money and can self-fund. If they're asking people if they're still interested and such, they probably have that list almost done and are trying to figure out who the top X number of candidates are which will then get funding offers. They expect a certain number of those will decline because they are top candidates so they also probably got into several top schools. Then they'll go down and make offers to people lower on the list, and so on.

So, i wouldn't assume that the admissions process is very cut and dry - there isn't really a moment when they're done with decisions and the offers are locked in, but rather they're always changing and can be impacted at any time by many things. They want to feel out whether students are still interested becuase they also make or don't make offers based on the likelihood that a person will accept the offer!

Edited by DanJackson

I haven't heard anything from NYU (for sociocultural), but see some acceptances and rejections on the results board. Should I just assume rejection?

They've notified their acceptances and their waitlist candidates :/ 

In the past they've done an interesting ranking system at CUNY.

Thanks for the info! I didn't get a short list email, but my POI did also email me a very thoughtful CFP (very specific to my topic) after telling me the committee was still deliberating, so I'll just assume I'm hanging out somewhere in purgatory or that this POI is just super nice and thoughtful even to students the program isn't taking. 

THIS PROCESS  :wacko:

Information for any fellow Texas A&M applicants,

I emailed the graduate coordinator and he said, "PhD applications are being entered now and while a decision has not been made about your application yet we expect the Nautical program to give them to us this week."

Soooo I'm hoping that means we'll be hearing back about decisions in the next few weeks??