FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

I think they'll send out official rejections eventually. It's still sort if early in the scheme of things (over 2 months still from the magical April 15th date). They're probably just focused on the admitting people aspect of the process right now.

Honestly I think Maryland is acting pretty ridiculous. I talked to two people at another interview weekend who had a horrible time applying there, not getting questions answered etc. One person asked a question about the supplemental form a week before it was due and heard back after the deadline. How ridiculous is that?! I'm really starting to have a bad perception of them.

Edited by isilya

For those who applied to Harvard and are waiting to hear from them... The DGS told me during my interview that they will be making decisions at the end of the month. He said, "When you don't hear from us right away, don't interpret that as rejection, there is a lot of bureaucracy on this side that takes a while. You'll hear at the end of February or the first week of March." So, Harvard hopefuls, stop refreshing your browser every 5 minutes, and it's OK to pee in the morning before checking your email. It's going to take a few weeks, evidently. :)

Congrats for your acceptance! :)

Thank you! My research interests fit perfectly with the department there. I spent a year studying/working with a guy in Northern Ireland who collaborates with my POI at UPenn 70% of the time. I had an interview with two professors that went so well. I'm very content/relieved/excited to know that I may be going there.

It really is all about research fit, though. I was interviewed at Maryland as well and really felt the difference between the two schools in terms of how I would fit in. I was not invited to Maryland's open house, so I'm assuming I was rejected. But that is completely OK, since I probably would not have gone there anyway. The interview at Maryland was very rigid and unfriendly. It seemed like the interviewer was going down a list of questions and not really listening to what I was saying. This was not my experience with the other interviews I had and left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm waiting to hear back from Harvard before I make a decision, obviously. But even if I don't get into that department, I'm elated to have to possibility to go to UPenn. I grew up in Philly, I used to play on the statues on campus when I was younger. It's sort of like a childhood dream come true. :)

It does make me upset that some departments just don't bother to inform some applicants until months later that, oh hey, in case you somehow didn't get it, you're not in. We all put so much time and effort into the applications that we send to these places that it seems like the least they could do is send us notification of acceptance or rejection in a timely manner.

I had an interview with UPenn in 2009. I'm still waiting to hear back. Never give up hope! 

Just got off the plane and had a voicemail. Assumed it was from my boyfriend who's picking me up. Nope, it was from UCLA! I got accepted! This is crazy!! I can't believe it!

Congrats :)

I just got into UCLA too... I can't believe it!!!

Which open house are people planning on attending? I'll be doing the one in March.

Wow, impressive list of acceptances for you! Congrats :D

I think I'll be doing the one in February. I'm visiting two schools from Feb 26 - March 2 so I'm going to try to just go to one of the open house days since I'll already be missing ridiculous amounts of school...

I'm going to do the February one. 

Now I'm finding myself worrying what the specifics of the funding package are. The email said I have 5 years of funding, but Los Angeles is not cheap at all.

Congratulations to those that got into UCLA!! :)

...Umm, so I keep being anxious about being on the waiting list at McGill because I'm really in love with their department from what I see/know so far. I want to contact them, but I'm afraid of asking something inappropriate/awkward (like it is okay to ask where you are on the waiting list). Am I just supposed to wait quietly? I don't want to seem like I'm not interested or enthusiastic, but I also don't want to look desperate.

I'm going to do the February one. 

Now I'm finding myself worrying what the specifics of the funding package are. The email said I have 5 years of funding, but Los Angeles is not cheap at all.

I'm sure it'll be enough to live on... if you're still worried after you receive specifics, I can PM you what I know about the stipends and salaries of friends I currently have in LA (none of whom are starving!)

Wow, impressive list of acceptances for you! Congrats :D

I think I'll be doing the one in February. I'm visiting two schools from Feb 26 - March 2 so I'm going to try to just go to one of the open house days since I'll already be missing ridiculous amounts of school...

Thanks  :D  It's pretty surreal, to be frank... and considering the number of interviews you've gotten, I'm sure your list will look just as impressive!

And yeah... I've basically had to narrow it down to my three top choices in terms of actually visiting, since with the transatlantic flight time I'll be taking a ridiculous amount of time off of work even with just those.

I'm sure it'll be enough to live on... if you're still worried after you receive specifics, I can PM you what I know about the stipends and salaries of friends I currently have in LA (none of whom are starving!)

Thanks :D It's pretty surreal, to be frank... and considering the number of interviews you've gotten, I'm sure your list will look just as impressive!

And yeah... I've basically had to narrow it down to my three top choices in terms of actually visiting, since with the transatlantic flight time I'll be taking a ridiculous amount of time off of work even with just those.

Yeah, I'm visiting every school I've been invited to, so 7... I want to be able to pass my classes and finish my thesis!

Yeah, I'm visiting every school I've been invited to, so 7... I want to be able to pass my classes and finish my thesis!

That's intense... good luck!

I was honestly really worried about not visiting more until I talked to my advisor, who basically told me that I shouldn't kill myself trying to visit six schools in 2.5 weeks when we both knew that my research interests fit spectacularly with three of them and only so-so with the other three. And I'm still a little worried about not visiting more (but mostly because I'm the most indecisive person ever  :wacko: )

Are they UCLA people? If not it's sort of irrelevant, but if so I'd be curious to know. I suppose I'll know eventually, I was told that "We are offering you the Dean's Fellowship and a full five year financial support package" which I of course do not know exactly what it entails just yet.

Are they UCLA people? If not it's sort of irrelevant, but if so I'd be curious to know. I suppose I'll know eventually, I was told that "We are offering you the Dean's Fellowship and a full five year financial support package" which I of course do not know exactly what it entails just yet.

Yes, some are at UCLA, and others live in neighborhoods that I've been told are popular among UCLA students.

If they mentioned that you're getting a specific fellowship, though, it probably means that you're getting one of the better offers... so you have no need to worry!

Edited by skhaao

Just saw that a bunch of people got in to UCLA.. Congrats, everyone!

Unrelated question - does anyone have any idea about when UMass will start making their decisions?  Based on previous years it looks like it goes on throughout most of February and I've been checking my email and refreshing the results page nearly constantly. 

Nice! I didn't get the Dean's Fellowship so you're probably getting a higher stipend than others maybe? One of my profs told me that UCSD and Berkeley tend to make ~$20K offers (at least at first, then some people will try to negotiate with their other offers), so I wonder if UCLA is similar. It would be pretty hard to live on that in LA though!