Fall 2015 MFA

Kaitipoola

Congrats on the New School, Octoberstormxx!! Their faculty seems great.

lagoon91, I think if Brown had started sending rejections, they would've shown up en masse in the results section already. Maybe whoever posted that comment was in a hurry and typed "rejections" instead of "acceptances"? Dunno.

I haven't heard from WVU either. I also applied in nonfiction.

I got a highly personalized email from Oregon State on Friday night. I'm on what appears to be a very small waitlist. I guess that's better than a flat-out rejection, but I really hope I'll hear a "yes" from one of the programs I applied to.

I haven't heard from WVU either. I also applied in nonfiction.

I got a highly personalized email from Oregon State on Friday night. I'm on what appears to be a very small waitlist. I guess that's better than a flat-out rejection, but I really hope I'll hear a "yes" from one of the programs I applied to.

Oh, Oregon's program looks incredible! That's awesome. I hope it ends up working out. 

I've been waitlisted at Knoxville for CNF, and they also sent a really great email. That truly makes all the difference. 

Congrats on the New School, Octoberstormxx!! Their faculty seems great.

lagoon91, I think if Brown had started sending rejections, they would've shown up en masse in the results section already. Maybe whoever posted that comment was in a hurry and typed "rejections" instead of "acceptances"? Dunno.

Thank you! I've heard they are!

ovalwriter, I second that emotion!  Someone on MFADraft heard that they've made decisions and should be notifying by next week.  (BTW: What exactly are they "offering"--apart from being an Ivy and a tiny cohort? Funding isn't stellar if my memory serves me...?)

I don't think Brown being an Ivy should matter, the MFA program should, and I don't think the funding package for Brown is that great considering just how expensive Boston is. This is from http://themfayears.com/fully-funded-programs/

Brown University: “In the first year, all graduate students receive a fellowship that pays a monthly stipend and covers tuition, the health fee, and health insurance. Fellowships do not require employment or teaching. The stipend for the 2014-2015 academic year is $11,500 (payable at the end of the month from September through May).

Between the first and second academic year, students in good standing receive a summer stipend of $2,500 (payable at the end of the month from June through August).

In the second year, all graduate students in good standing who are qualified will be awarded teaching assistantships.  Teaching assistants teach one undergraduate writing workshop per semester, and receive a full stipend, tuition, health fee, and health insurance. The stipend for the 2014-2015 academic year is $23,000.”

Whereas Michener: 

University of Texas, James Michener Center: “each admitted student receives a Michener Fellowship of $27,500 per academic year, plus remission of all required tuition and fees.”

Doing the math in my head, Michener gives out 18K more over a two year period and doesn't require /give their students (the opportunity to?) teach. I wish I had applied to the Michener!

Edited by SarahWakes

Does anyone here know around what time Boston U is known to send out admissions decisions?  I've already been accepted to the #2 school on my list, but BU is #1.   My #2 needs a decision from me by mid-March, and I'm just really hoping I hear back from BU before then.

Quentinc,

From what I remember, the funding looked nice. During my app process I'd been looking at so many programs' website that I may be thinking about some other program. I'll have to look at Brown's again. 

Thanks, quentinc. It's a "very short" waiting list, according to the letter. Then it goes on to say: "In the past, it has sometimes been the case that applicants have been admitted from the waiting list." Not exactly a hope instilling statement.

Edited by emburst

Congrats Emburst! Someone posted last week that decisions were being mailed from Iowa. It appears to have been true. I look forward to checking my mailbox today (even if it's a flat out rejection from Iowa). The suspense is killing me!

Edited by ovalwriter

Congrats, emburst!

And to the BU question, I think they notify around April 1. You could probably call them and explain your situation, though, esp. if you applied a long time ago. But most programs are on that list, aren't they, of schools that observe the April 15 deadline? So maybe you could get wiggle room from them.

Thanks all. I guess I am happy about the wait list, but trying not to get my hopes up.

BU notifies so late is because they had a March 1 application deadline, literary just a day ago...