2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Same here. If I remember correctly, BCMB said they would plan to send decisions on the upcoming Monday. Not sure about PBSB, which is unfortunate because that's the only one I'm actually interested in.

Wait really? I've been clinging onto my email for the whole week for no reason then! :(

Wait really? I've been clinging onto my email for the whole week for no reason then! :(

I just got an email indicating "unofficial acceptance" to BCMB. It says that official copies will be sent out next week. Good luck! I hope that means PBSB is also about to send out word.

Hey guys! I know acceptances are (hopefully) coming in. Just wanted to give my 2 cents about the decision. If you're on the fence between two schools, I would contact them and see if you can meet with more faculty. Don't hesitate to ask. Last week I contacted the dean at UChicago and within a week I was back and they had set up an entire scheduled day. It was definitely what I needed in terms of my decision and it was a totally different atmosphere than the first interview. I wouldn't hesitate to ask to meet with more people - it's a huge decision!

Edited by expandyourmind

I got accepted into UGA's chemistry program today! So much stress is gone knowing I'm at least going somewhere. Still hoping for Chapel Hill, but UGA is my number two out of who's left so that's pretty great!

Congratulations!! I hope you hear from UNC though.

I was recommended for admission today for the biochem program at Duke! Dreams do come true :D Though I interviewed at MD Anderson yesterday and today and their research and facilities are absolutely phenomenal!! If I get offered admission I'll have a difficult time deciding between the two as both are a great research fit, have competitive stipends for the cost of living, and have programs that support underrepresented students.

Edited by ribonucleic

Has anyone interviewing at Weill Cornell heard back with their decision?

Thanks!

I got a call today from one of the directors I've kept in contact with during the application process today telling me I was accepted and he told me that the official acceptances will go out on monday. 

I got a call today from one of the directors I've kept in contact with during the application process today telling me I was accepted and he told me that the official acceptances will go out on monday. 

Which program was that for, if you don't mind me asking? I'm really looking forward to hearing back from PBSB.

Hey guys! I know acceptances are (hopefully) coming in. Just wanted to give my 2 cents about the decision. If you're on the fence between two schools, I would contact them and see if you can meet with more faculty. Don't hesitate to ask. Last week I contacted the dean at UChicago and within a week I was back and they had set up an entire scheduled day. It was definitely what I needed in terms of my decision and it was a totally different atmosphere than the first interview. I wouldn't hesitate to ask to meet with more people - it's a huge decision!

That's a really good suggestion! I think I will also do this.

Has anyone got wait listed at a school they've interviewed at and really loved? This is a huge fear, and although I thought I had good interviews and interactions with the students and faculty, maybe they liked someone better.

If you had a great time, your interviewers and hosts probably saw that and contributed to it. Unless you interviewed for a program known for a low post-interview admission rate, you should be fine.

Edit: I actually just got invited to join a program (Duke biochem) for which I interviewed very poorly, mostly because I was paired with several interviewers whose interests were entirely different from mine. I didn't have a good time at all, but I guess I'm a nice person or something. Take that for what you will, but I guess it's possible to be admitted even with bad interviews. You're probably a shoe-in if you felt good about yours. :)

Edited by velli

The program is aiming to offer admissions to ~70% of it's interviewees. Still, that means there are a lot of qualified candidates who were invited for interviews and are getting waitlisted/rejected. My big issue is, when I met the program director, I thought they seemed bored and uninterested in my previous research and in me as a candidate. This wasn't during an interview, but it does make me nervous.

The program is aiming to offer admissions to ~70% of it's interviewees. Still, that means there are a lot of qualified candidates who were invited for interviews and are getting waitlisted/rejected. My big issue is, when I met the program director, I thought they seemed bored and uninterested in my previous research and in me as a candidate. This wasn't during an interview, but it does make me nervous.

You have less to worry about if it's not your interviews that are bothering you. The program director wasn't the only person evaluating you, and at the end of the day, one ambivalent review for your case (that doesn't even really matter) shouldn't break your application. A good research match going forward is probably the most important thing here. If your potential advisors and classmates liked you, you're fine. It gets easier to just go with the flow when you realize that getting rejected means there's something major you need to fix (or can't fix). You're not getting rejected for something that minor. Not to be a negative Nancy, but if you get rejected, there's a much bigger problem at play. Good luck though. Hope it turns out well.

I heard back in the affirmative from Weill Cornell PBSB today! Despite a *very* rough interview with one of the directors of my specialization of interest (out of only two faculty interviews, because this track was listed as an alternate choice, by my own mistake). I guess it didn't go as poorly as I thought.