2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Accepted by UT Southwestern. They made decision really fast. I attended the interview last Friday and received the offer on Monday.

Some schools are SUPER fast. apparently at my columbia interview while we were on our housing tour they made the decision as to who was admitted.... with like half the day left

last year people from that program heard back 2 days after the interview! hardcore adcoms hahah

Edited by expandyourmind

Some schools are SUPER fast. apparently at my columbia interview while we were on our housing tour they made the decision as to who was admitted.... with like half the day left

last year people from that program heard back 2 days after the interview! hardcore adcoms hahah

Wow that's crazy! I wish Yale did that...I have to wait until March for my decision. :(

Got into Emory!  :)

That's crazy... jeez O_o

Edited by Biochemistry

I know UNC BBSP had their first interview weekend Jan 22-24 and people posted acceptances on the survey as soon as Jan 27. Ahhh my interview weekend there starts tomorrow and I'm going to be a wreck all next week since I saw that correlation.

Just received an offer from UW-Madison, my top pick!! The application game is over, now the fun begins ^_^

Best wishes to everyone, I'm rooting for you!

Congrats! Excellent program! One of the people I research with (not my PI but a collaborator) did his post doc with Judith Kimble there (and two of my committee members did their PhD in her lab). He speaks so highly of his time there and her lab--plus she has HHMI funding. :)

Just received an offer from UW-Madison, my top pick!! The application game is over, now the fun begins ^_^

AHHHH CONGRATS yolk!! Do you still have interviews to go to? I'm in the same boat, but I have four more interviews to endure and I'm not sure what to do about that.

I heard back within two days from Emory - I think the smaller programs have a faster turn-around time.

Depends on the program. Arizona's ABBS is a very large umbrella program. One of the undergrads in my lab heard back the monday after interview weekend.

Hey Yolk! CONGRATS! I'm actually from Wisconsin (family is all badgers!)

what is the funding like at Madison? I just heard the governor is slashing funding for the UW system so I'm curious how they are working around it. But Madison is an AMAAAAZING program I'm so happy for you!

Edited by expandyourmind

what is the funding like at Madison? I just heard the governor is slashing funding for the UW system so I'm curious how they are working around it. But Madison is an AMAAAAZING program I'm so happy for you!

I hadn't thought of that. Madison is going to loose 300 Million over the next 2 years (unless I'm mistaken). Hopefully the programs have NIH Training grants they can put students on.

You know, when I first heard that news my very thought was it'll scared away prospective grad students.

I hadn't thought of that. Madison is going to loose 300 Million over the next 2 years (unless I'm mistaken). Hopefully the programs have NIH Training grants they can put students on.

Glad other people have heard about this. *exasperated sigh* scott walker.....

Got accepted by Northwestern University DGP yesterday!!! It was a long journey to admission and as an international student it will certainly be an amazing experience!! First of my family to get an higher degree in the USA, I really hope to do the best I can!!

It is a good program either for funding and research options so I can't be more happier!! Now, the bureaucracy time begins, as well as adapting to a new country!

Hope you all get in your favourite school, hard work always pays back!

AHHHH CONGRATS yolk!! Do you still have interviews to go to? I'm in the same boat, but I have four more interviews to endure and I'm not sure what to do about that.

I have two more, one of the programs being back at UW Madison. You're having a heck of an application season. Have you made travel arrangements for all your remaining interviews?

Thanks! Yes the UW system (a dozen schools!) is indeed facing proposed budget cuts in the next two years. I've been trying to inform myself, reading and asking questions. Madison receives funding almost exclusively from the federal government, perhaps research will go unabated? If I accept I will receive a two year NIH training grant, whew. But I can't help think cutting money will bruise the entire system. Everyone will feel the ache. I really need to learn more and how it could affect me as a graduate student, the next half decade of my life.

Edited by yolk

I have two more, one of the programs being back at UW Madison. You're having a heck of an application season. Have you made travel arrangements for all your remaining interviews?

Thanks! Yes the UW system (a dozen schools!) is indeed facing proposed budget cuts in the next two years. I've been trying to inform myself, reading and asking questions. Madison receives funding almost exclusively from the federal government, perhaps research will go unabated? If I accept I will receive a two year NIH training grant, whew. But I can't help think cutting money will bruise the entire system. Everyone will feel the ache. I really need to learn more and how it could affect me as a graduate student, the next half decade of my life.

A lot of funding ( at least where I'm at) comes from the endowment. I'm not sure if funding for grad student's will take to big of a hit. If anything, I'd hope a threat of funding loss would get rid of the administrative  bloat. 

Yeah, plane tickets have already been bought, so I suppose I'm going to all of them. I know that canceling at this stage of the game is frowned upon, but I feel slimy pretending to be available.

I had no idea my season was going to be like this. If I had to do it all over again, I'm not sure if I would do it differently. It's just that I had one school that I was most interested in, followed by a bunch of schools that were tied for second place. I had to accept those invites because of the possibility of getting rejected from my top choice -- but that didn't happen, and for as much as I did to secure my options for the unfavorable outcome, I didn't spend any time thinking about what I would do if things actually went my way.

Did you accept the offer from UW Madison or are you holding off until you're done interviewing?

Edited by pasteltomato

A lot of funding ( at least where I'm at) comes from the endowment. I'm not sure if funding for grad student's will take to big of a hit. If anything, I'd hope a threat of funding loss would get rid of the administrative  bloat. 

This could be my cynicism showing, but I doubt it'll hit the administration at all. The cuts will come from the little people first.

Midway through the interview process - dying to hear back from schools! Might hear something as soon as today. 

With no official offers from anywhere there is still the creeping thought that I won't actually go to grad school. Come on, first offer. Cooooome ooooonnnnn