2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

I got asked SO MANY TIMES at my Ohio interview "do you have any questions about the program?". So when professors I was interviewing with asked me this, I asked about things not related to research, but more about their mentoring philosophy: How they approach teaching their grad students to write papers (or if they expect them to already know how), how hands on they are in the lab, what kinds of grants are available to apply for (which you can find on the program website but sometimes just seeing "training grant" doesn't mean much), and also about what opportunities there are to present your own research. This helped me figure out what the labs are like/what opportunities I'll have other than just what the subject of research is.

I got asked SO MANY TIMES at my Ohio interview "do you have any questions about the program?". So when professors I was interviewing with asked me this, I asked about things not related to research, but more about their mentoring philosophy: How they approach teaching their grad students to write papers (or if they expect them to already know how), how hands on they are in the lab, what kinds of grants are available to apply for (which you can find on the program website but sometimes just seeing "training grant" doesn't mean much), and also about what opportunities there are to present your own research. This helped me figure out what the labs are like/what opportunities I'll have other than just what the subject of research is.

These are great ideas, I'm asking these at my remaining interviews!

Edited by yolk

These are great questions, I would suggest to also bring them to current students in the lab/program.  While I have not been interviewed formally I have spoke at-lenght with POIs and grad students of respective programs.  Professors and PIs are going to answer these questions from the perspective of an academic and most likely will toot their own horns.  Sometimes they are in the same boat but on a different page than the students. 

*Perhaps it is different for interviewing students  but I have found that profs tend to be black and white with questions of fundings.  They either have it or they don't.  If they don't, they expect you to figure out how to get it.  

Edited by Crucial BBQ

Most of my interviewers just flat out asked me "what do you want to know about my research" and went from there, s

This wasn't my experience either (I've had 2 official interviews so far, plus a post-acceptance visit). 

Most started with "tell me about yourself," or asking some question about my background. I talked for a couple of minutes about my education and research experiences, and then I found that it went in a few directions.

Some professors went straight into talking about their research. But, when this happened, I didn't really feel like I had the opportunity to ask them questions about their research, as some people have said--the way they were talking, it would have felt like I was interrupting. I mostly just nodded or said other small things to show I was listening or that I understood, or maybe asked a tiny question about something small. Maybe this was just me being overly worried about interrupting and I actually should have been asking more insightful questions, but it didn't feel like that was what they wanted to me.

After that, or sometimes first thing, some professors just asked if I had any questions. Depending on the interview, I asked them to tell me about their research if they hadn't already, or I asked them questions about the programs. Mine were mostly along the lines of, "What drew you to University X?"  "Does everyone get along/does it feel collaborative or competitive?" "Do your graduates tend to go into academia, industry, government, or a mix?" ....But I really like some of the questions people have posted here, about mentoring philosophy, etc. If it was a professor I was interested in potentially working with, I sometimes asked about the structure of their lab--numbers of postdocs to grad students to techs, how new students learn or are mentored (from more senior grad students? post docs? research techs? the professor directly? just on their own?)-- and what their current projects were. Since I'm at a small liberal arts college, I asked about that background--if it was common, if they thought I'd be at a disadvantage, etc. I definitely got asked if I had any questions about the program more times than I can count. I was also asked what my specific research interests are--that was a big one, since they are slightly different from my current research. That sometimes led into a conversation about that field in general.

Some of my interviews were way more informal than this. I've had a few that mostly consisted of a casual chat about the state of the field or how exciting things are right now. I also had a fair amount of professors trying to "sell" me the program, even at schools that were a pre-acceptance interview. 

Other questions I've thought about asking but haven't had the chance to are things like, is the program expanding/shrinking/stable, what is the stability of the faculty (many retiring soon or many in a temporary position?). 

One more thing: I actually didn't even have time to prepare for my most recent interview--all I did was skim the websites of one or two of my interviewers, and the rest I didn't even really read at all, and this turned out to be totally fine. I have no idea if I just got lucky or seemed more knowledgeable than I am, or what. But most professors just talked about their research without asking me anything about it, and they started from a place that seemed to assume I was unfamiliar with it. I haven't had an interviewer yet that felt like they assumed or expected that I knew something about their research. I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience. 

I was recently admitted into a program that's very high on my list -- so high that a couple of the other schools that invited me to interviews, while great, are no longer places I would consider.  I decided to cancel 2 of my remaining 5 interviews (going to 3 more). Has anybody here done something similar?

I figured that although I've wasted the costs of the flights that have been booked on my behalf, by canceling these interviews I would at least waste no more of the program's money (on dinners, bars, etc) or their faculty's time. And perhaps more importantly, I don't want to potentially take up a spot from somebody else who wants it more. I'm also still in college and don't want to be constantly missing classes for 5 weeks in a row... 

Edited by Ascinflamm

You're liable to hamstring yourself by preparing questions ahead of time. Good departments are looking for people who are bright and conversational in science. 

While particular questions about the program are fine, in some sense, the #1 thing faculty are looking for is for you to be engaged and quick on your feet with questions that pertain to what they've been talking about. You don't need to prep; you need to pay attention. If someone spends 10 minutes talking about their research, asks you if you have questions, and you ask a canned question about the graduate program... that won't reflect well. 

I was recently admitted into a program that's very high on my list -- so high that a couple of the other schools that invited me to interviews, while great, are no longer places I would consider.  I decided to cancel 2 of my remaining 5 interviews (going to 3 more). Has anybody here done something similar?

I've done this. I figured if you're no longer interested in the program, its better to not waste their time or money. i've cancelled 2 interviews already because i had my heart set on other programs. they have all been pretty relaxed about me withdrawing my application, or at least i think! 

Edited by expandyourmind

For anyone waiting to hear back from Scripps, I just emailed and I got kind of a vague email back.. not sure what it's supposed to mean (for context, I asked specifically if all interview invites have been sent out):

Dear X,

Thank you for your interest in the graduate program at The Scripps Research Institute.  Students selected to visit Scripps for interviews will be contacted via email before the interview dates scheduled for each campus.  The process is currently underway and will continue until approximately the first week of March.  All notifications will be made by April 15.

I hope this information is helpful.

I do know that their first interview weekend is in two or three weeks, but does this mean they're not done reviewing applications? :\ They wouldn't NOT tell me all interviews have been sent out because they don't want to indirectly reject me, right? Don't wanna get my hopes up :(

You're liable to hamstring yourself by preparing questions ahead of time. Good departments are looking for people who are bright and conversational in science. 

While particular questions about the program are fine, in some sense, the #1 thing faculty are looking for is for you to be engaged and quick on your feet with questions that pertain to what they've been talking about. You don't need to prep; you need to pay attention. If someone spends 10 minutes talking about their research, asks you if you have questions, and you ask a canned question about the graduate program... that won't reflect well. 

I agree with this in general, but most of the time I was specifically asked if I have any questions about the program, much more often than I was asked if I "have any questions" in general (which could mean about the professor's research, etc.). In this case, I think it's important to have a few questions in mind, because it's often hard to produce these kinds of questions on the spot with the pressure of the interview, and you run the risk of looking unprepared or uninterested in the program if you don't have anything to ask.

I figured that although I've wasted the costs of the flights that have been booked on my behalf, by canceling these interviews I would at least waste no more of the program's money (on dinners, bars, etc) or their faculty's time. And perhaps more importantly, I don't want to potentially take up a spot from somebody else who wants it more. I'm also still in college and don't want to be constantly missing classes for 5 weeks in a row... 

In similar shoes but with different opinion on such scenario. My first interview, which was super early, had the best research fit for me, and I felt I really clicked with one of my interviewers and could totally see myself working in his lab. And I got in 3 days after the interview, so I was pretty much sold after my first interview. I had 4 more interviews to go at that time, went to another recently, and am leaving for yet another the day after tomorrow. I try not to carry any preconceptions into future interviews (the notion that 'oh the first program is totes the best for me; nowhere else could beat that') and I think these interview weekends are invaluable opportunities to gain new perspectives and establish (potential) connections/networks. Already during my last interview I could feel my research interests evolving and getting more refined as I listened to faculty members' presentations at the second school I interviewed with. I don't believe there is a 'perfect' program -- every program,  no matter how good the fit is, certainly has its flaws -- and I'd like to be able to make a final decision after weighing all options while being as informed as possible. Even though I know there are a few places I almost certainly would not attend even if I got in, I consider it useful to be able to talk to people whose work I find interesting. Who knows, maybe after graduate school I'd want to do a postdoc with him or her. My undergrad advisor told me that people who interviewed with her come back a few years later for job interviews all the time. It'd be good to make a positive impression now which might work in my favor in the future. And all this aside I find myself just really having a great time talking to faculty members and current grad students to find out more about their work. I agree though that missing lots of classes is annoying. I actually have a professor who insists in dropping a letter grade with more than 3 absences. With my remaining interviews I'd miss 4 so I know for sure the best grade I could possibly get for that class is a B. But oh well it's an artsy elective I have to take as GenEd so that I could graduate so who gives a damn :P

Edited by kewz

I agree with this in general, but most of the time I was specifically asked if I have any questions about the program, much more often than I was asked if I "have any questions" in general (which could mean about the professor's research, etc.). In this case, I think it's important to have a few questions in mind, because it's often hard to produce these kinds of questions on the spot with the pressure of the interview, and you run the risk of looking unprepared or uninterested in the program if you don't have anything to ask.

Asking questions about the program is a perfect way to show you're interested and excited and is the easiest way to impress your interviewers. Doing research beforehand on certain things specific to the program (such as a unique teaching opportunity that would be available to you) and asking well thought out questions about those things will show that you are not only interested in the program, but that you have also done your research on the place you are applying.

What I did is ask questions about the PI's/student's research as the questions came up when they were discussing their research. Then, at the end of the interview, when I was asked what other questions I may have I asked my prepared questions about the program to end on a positive note. A lot of the time this segued into the interviewer using whatever specific thing I asked about to try to recruit me into the program. It is a fantastic way to not only impress your interviewer but also to learn valuable information about the program.

Beyond all this, however, simply having an intelligent conversation with the PI/student you are talking to is usually enough to get a good recommendation from that person without necessarily wowing them.

One other thing while we are on the topic of faculty interviews: Ask your student host about the PI's you are interviewing with. Seriously. UCSF has one or two PI's who like to conduct very thorough interviews and knowing who these PI's are in advance can help you mentally prepare for it when it happens. There is a well-known PI here who put recruits into awkward/stressful situations during the interview to see how they respond. This might be constantly asking questions about a project, questioning motivations to go to grad school, etc. etc. It is a LOT easier to not get flustered by this when you are expecting it.

Interview invite #3! ALL of them are on the same day fantastic.... Also this one was worded as: a recruitment weekend w/ a tour of facilities, meet and greet w/ students and faculty, along with an opportunity for an informal interview. Does that sound weird to anyone else? 

Edited by ballwera

In similar shoes but with different opinion on such scenario. My first interview, which was super early, had the best research fit for me, and I felt I really clicked with one of my interviewers and could totally see myself working in his lab. And I got in 3 days after the interview, so I was pretty much sold after my first interview.

U

This is exactly where I'm at. I felt like my first interview was the perfect fit both socially and academically and was accepted before my other interviews. I've been comparing every interview with that first one! Even at the second interview I could really see myself working with one person there. So far it's hard to tell right now. I think choosing the right place is a lot harder than I expected. I thought I would get there and just know which one was the one!! This is going to be a hard choice!

Just got word that I've been selected to receive the training grant at UW-Madison.

I suppose this bodes well for getting accepted? I don't have that interview for two more weeks!

You mean the Molecular Biosciences Training Grant? I got an e-mail about that too (and I haven't interviewed yet as well)! I wonder how selective it is.

For anyone coming to Boston in the next week or so, I strongly (STRONGLY) recommend you bring a pair of boots with you. Most research schools here will require you to take 5-10 minute walks between buildings for tours and interviews, and the snow situation here is kind of out of control, with more to come Thursday. The sidewalks aren't guaranteed to be well plowed because we've frankly run out of places to pile the snow. If you're spending any time touring the city, you'll be miserable in anything but waterproof, lined snow boots. Everyone looks like an idiot this week, and no one will judge you poorly for your practical footwear. Have fun!...

For anyone coming to Boston in the next week or so, I strongly (STRONGLY) recommend you bring a pair of boots with you. Most research schools here will require you to take 5-10 minute walks between buildings for tours and interviews, and the snow situation here is kind of out of control, with more to come Thursday. The sidewalks aren't guaranteed to be well plowed because we've frankly run out of places to pile the snow. If you're spending any time touring the city, you'll be miserable in anything but waterproof, lined snow boots. Everyone looks like an idiot this week, and no one will judge you poorly for your practical footwear. Have fun!...

strongly second this for upstate ny (and most likely most places in the northeast this week)! i saw a few recruits trying to get around (key word: trying) my school today and it was not pretty:( granted, it's been a struggle for everyone thanks to the school's... interesting interpretation of the phrase "winter maintenance" but yeah. be safe!

So happy I'm not in Boston this weekend! BCS is the last days of Feb so hopefully no storms will strike then...

What you are about to read was written solely for perspective, not to be contrary.  

I moved from "sunny" California to Minnesota and then later on to Maine and Massachusetts (Boston).  For my first winter in Minnesota I picked up a pair of waterproof, lined, snow boots and found that they made my feet way to hot (Minnesota gets a heckofalot colder than Boston).  Swamp foot in your boots is way uncomfortable.  I found that my feet were drier and still warm enough when I just wore my skateboarding shoes with thick socks.  Unless you are actually trudging through snow your feet will stay dry, anyways.  I also found that skate shoes gave better traction.  

Hiking shoes work well, too.  The only boots I have found to work, at least for being in the city, are Merrell hiking/wilderness boots.  They are not necessarily designed for the winter, which is why I like them, and offer great traction.  

In my opinion snow boots are awesome if one is actually going to be trudging through snow and/or hanging out on the side of a mountain all day.  Chances of that happening while you are walking around campus/town are slim.  From a Californian, if you already have the boots, sure wear them; if not, then invest in a nice pair of thick socks or lightweight winter athletic socks (thick socks might require you to go up in shoe size). 

*Also, pathways/sidewalks--even if groomed--can become smoothed over and icy.  You will get way better traction if you can walk alongside the path or along the edges of the sidewalk.  An inch or two of snow, even if compacted, will provide better grip than ice any day of the week (unless it is fresh powder covering ice).  

If you happen to be exiting a vehicle, especially if in a parking lot, test the ground with a foot first before exiting--you might not notice the ice otherwise.  If you exit the vehicle in a "normal" fashion you might be exiting too fast, which might cause you to slip.  Trust me, cracking your body against the corner of the door does not feel good.  

Once again this only based on my own experience.  Most people I knew/know just wore regular shoes, too.  

Edited by Crucial BBQ

Also for the Yale BBS interviewees this weekend. We are supposed to get some more snow Thurs-Mon (at least the last time I checked) and the sidewalks are icy, snowy, and slippery. Even more important, I think, are hat and gloves. The streets are like wind tunnels, which makes the wind chill factor more important. 

I'll be feeling *so* sorry for all of you while I'm interviewing in GA this weekend (60 degrees and sunny?! Heck yeah! That's like a tropical vacation!). ;)

Better late than never:

Undergrad Institution: UC Davis

Major(s): Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 2012

GPA: 3.74

Position in Class: top 9%

Type of Student: domestic white male, vanilla pudding

GRE Scores:

Q: 158

V: 168

W: 3.5

Research Experience: Three undergraduate research positions with one paper pending. One year of full-time work at UC Davis post grad, currently halfway through a two-year position with well known global biotech company. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Departmental awards for "outstanding academics" and "significant independent research".

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutor at junior college and during summer abroad (Cambridge University, Genetics, 2012)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Graduated a full year early.

Special Bonus Points: Took a few grad classes as an undergrad & made contact with several potential PIs over the last year, all were willing to converse at length.

Random other info:

1) Was rejected (without interview) from five programs during 2013 cycle, reapplying to several of the same ones.

2) Was interviewed (in person) and  offered a spot (with funding)  at UBC without even applying two months ago.

Applying to Where:

U. British Columbia - Genome Sciences and Technology - Protein Engineering

U. Wash - Biological Physics, Structure, and Design - Protein Engineering 

U. Wash - Genome Sciences - Protein Engineering

UCLA - Biochemistry - Protein Engineering

UCSF - iPQB - Protein Engineering

I'm an international student. I'm wondering if having not received the interview of U. Wash BPSD means Rejection?