2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

I was responding to your response to me when I had said that I didn't get the difference between the people who are assuming rejection and want an official rejection.  You responded to me explaining how it is different for you, to which I said that anyone asking for an official reject has some other reason to believe they will be rejected so those in your situation (deadlines haven't passed or just recently as well as masters applicants do not fall into the category that you were saying were those who may want an official reject or those who have not received an interview offer should not presume rejection.)  I was speaking to those that have said they have all but assumed rejection (due to interviews for their program) and those that have applied to deadlines back in december.  Those are the ones that if they want an official rejection soon, I don't understand.  Just go a few pages back to where I replied to your response. 

Again you seem to be an anomaly in the process due to applying to masters and applying to programs that are not as popular (results search-wise) and also to programs that don't necessarily have interviews.

When you wrote, "...otherwise, if I were you I, wouldn't be worried nor would I...", it was directed at me.  This is the part that is confusing.  You begin the sentence with a general comment on the situation as it may apply to other members then switch the comment directly towards me half way through.  I obviously have no reason to be worried yet, so another point of confusion is where you got that idea.  And yes, I have went back to the beginning of our conversation (which began with us both responding to ballwera) and I do not see where you would get that impression.  All I wrote was that for me, personally, it was better for me to know earlier than later.  

Why?  Because although I am no means an old dog I am also far removed from being a young pup.  I have obligations and responsibilities that make it more of challenge for me to pack up and move out-of-state than, say, it would for a typical 23 year old.   So the sooner I know the better it will be for me.   I imagine for others simply knowing sooner would provide some piece of mind, but I dunno.  

"I get that you applied to smaller programs with less evidence seen in results and you are a masters applicant mostly as well as having applied to programs with late deadlines. 

So under those presumptions...why would anyone be freaking out about not getting an interview in your situation if A. your program doesn't give interviews and B. none of the deadlines had passed yet or just recently?  

Clearly the people saying "I just want to know I'm officially rejected" have some reason to believe they aren't admitted be it that interviews have been posted and/or they are seeing results in the results search for their program, otherwise if I were you I, wouldn't be worried nor would I be posting about wanting an official rejection since it's so easy to simply reject someone when its not even a situation that would be happening yet."

Edited by Crucial BBQ

Does anyone have info about ASU neuro?  Going out there for an interview next week.  Have roughly 7 interviews; 3 at ASU, 2 at Barrows Neuro Institute, and 2 at AU School of Medicine.  

UTSW interview weekends have begun as of last Friday.  Has anyone heard back that interviewed last weekend?  

As always, if you have an interview coming up I can always answer questions (specifically if it's about UT Southwestern).

Anyone else on here apply to the Joint Pitt/CMU computational bio program? It looks like they sent interviews around Jan20-25 in the previous years. I have not been contacted and haven't seen anyone post results for this program this year.

Anyone heard back about UPenn Phd bio phone/skype interview yet?

If you're referring to UPenn CAMB: I asked them when I should excpect to hear back about a decision and they said that applications have to go through two additional committees and that based on the current schedule, I should hear back around Feb 5.

I get you crucial Bbq. We have to sell our house, put in a transfer for my husbands job, transfer my daughter to a new school system, find a place to live, and apparently we'll have three months to do all this since admissions decisions aren't made very quickly. I'm borderline hyperventilating at this point and I've spent more money paying deposits on a private school for my daughter in every city we may move to than I did on applying. Sigh.

I can tell you their 3rd and final weekend is March 5-7. :) Hope to see you!

Darn, my Iowa interview is March 5-7 and I've already booked the flight. I just replied to the e-mail from this morning asking about alternative dates, so if the March weekend is the only other option it looks like it'll be a draining 6 days! I really look forward to the GSBS interview though, research-wise, it was one of the best fits for me. Although I really want to leave Texas, there's such great research at several institutions here!

Darn, my Iowa interview is March 5-7 and I've already booked the flight. I just replied to the e-mail from this morning asking about alternative dates, so if the March weekend is the only other option it looks like it'll be a draining 6 days! I really look forward to the GSBS interview though, research-wise, it was one of the best fits for me. Although I really want to leave Texas, there's such great research at several institutions here!

I know exactly how you feel - I'm about to go on a 6 day stretch myself  -_-

I hear that: I didn't particularly want to *come* to TX, but the research here was too cool to pass up, plus it had by far the best stipend/cost of living ratio of any school I interviewed at! 

If you end up coming that marathon weekend I'll make sure things are as easy as possible for you. I interviewed at Iowa as well, so if you want to talk about it, PM me.

I am from NC and one of my top choice schools is UNC. I really want to get out of NC and live somewhere new but UNC has such great research for my interests! I totally understand being torn between the two.

I know exactly how you feel - I'm about to go on a 6 day stretch myself  -_-

Actually I just realized that I was looking at the January calendar and not the February calendar, d'oh!! So I'll have three days between my interviews after all :D Good luck with your interviews!

I hear that: I didn't particularly want to *come* to TX, but the research here was too cool to pass up, plus it had by far the best stipend/cost of living ratio of any school I interviewed at! 

If you end up coming that marathon weekend I'll make sure things are as easy as possible for you. I interviewed at Iowa as well, so if you want to talk about it, PM me.

I went back to look up the stipend for GSBS and I didn't realize it was so high, considering how cheap it can be living in Texas :D And I'll be PM'ing you soon about Iowa, I have quite a few questions about it.

I am from NC and one of my top choice schools is UNC. I really want to get out of NC and live somewhere new but UNC has such great research for my interests! I totally understand being torn between the two.

Prior to application season, I wasn't even considering applying to Texas schools (besides UT Austin, since my gf loves the city) but the more I looked into schools here with research that interests me that more I realized how great of a fit most of the Texas schools are for me! Hopefully I'll figure out what's the most important to me once I actually visit the schools, because right now I'm definitely torn.

I went back to look up the stipend for GSBS and I didn't realize it was so high, considering how cheap it can be living in Texas :D And I'll be PM'ing you soon about Iowa, I have quite a few questions about it.

I make a higher salary in grad school then I did as an employee in the Northeast, thanks to nonexistent TX taxes. Plus food and general life items are far cheaper here. :)

I make a higher salary in grad school then I did as an employee in the Northeast, thanks to nonexistent TX taxes. Plus food and general life items are far cheaper here. :)

Seriously! I just interviewed at UT Austin and was amazed by how cheap everything was (though I was coming from San Francisco..). It would definitely be easier to live on a grad student stipend there, my only worry is I couldn't handle the summers. 

Seriously! I just interviewed at UT Austin and was amazed by how cheap everything was (though I was coming from San Francisco..). It would definitely be easier to live on a grad student stipend there, my only worry is I couldn't handle the summers. 

Doesn't Texas have relatively low humidity?

Summer is pretty intense, not gonna lie...but for the other 8 months of the year we have beautiful weather! It's 75 degrees and sunny right now, which blows my mind that this is the end of January and not like, mid-May. Plus I'd rather be hot than cold; you can keep well hydrated and sweat some and be fine, but freezing and shivering gives no relief in cold climates.