2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Could a thank-you email, if not written absolutely perfectly, really be a "kiss of death" at this point though? Surely the actual interview(s) itself is the main deciding factor as to whether an applicant will or will not be accepted, and not some courteous gesture that he/she may opt for afterwards. While I think a thank-you email is a nice thing to do, I don't think it's that necessary. If you bombed the interview, nothing you do after the fact will change that. Conversely, if you did well, not writing a thank-you email isn't going to make a school reject you. After all, I'm sure everyone thanked their interviewer in person right after the interview. I know I thanked mine a few times. 

There's no real need to overthink a simple thank-you email. If you really enjoyed chatting to a PI and genuinely thought their research was cool (and conveyed as much during the interview itself) then why shouldn't you come across equally as enthusiastic in your email? Just don't harp on and on about it, or write something egregiously bad, like angling for a response as to how well they thought you did. 

I wrote short thank-yous to my interviewers even though I was satisfied that at the end of my interviews, I came across as appropriately appreciative of the time they took to chat with me. I literally just repeated that I was grateful for their time, that I enjoyed talking to them, and if they gave me any advice, I mentioned this too. I also wrote that my interactions with them contributed to the fantastic impression I had of the school. The only deviation was that in one of them, I put in an extra thanks because my interview ran 15 minutes over-time and she was nice enough to keep on talking to me instead of cutting our discussion short. 

Someone else mentioned that they wrote an email to the program coordinator. Now that's a good idea and something that I think should really be done. Not only did they likely have a say in whether you got your interview, but they also organised everything and were willing to spend a significant amount of money on you. 

Considering that, depending on the program, you are one of a handful that is being interviewed by a single PI, and where only a few, if one, will be offered admission, yes, it can be a KOD.  Please note that I am not saying it would be a definite KOD.  

All thank-you notes are appreciated and there really is no such thing as a well-written thank-you note; only sincere thank-you notes and those that are less-than-sincere.  A few things to keep in mind:  the whole point of the thank-you note is to show gratitude, to show that you are mindful of the situation, mindful of the other person, and are grateful for having had the opportunity for the experience even if it were a royal pain in the behind.  I am not sure about the biomedical sciences, to my knowledge those who sit on admissions committees do so voluntarily.  Perhaps it is their way of performing "service", I dunno.  The program, out of all applicants, chose to extend an interview invite to you.  They did not have to do that, but they did.  Your thank-you note is to show sincere gratitude that out of all you were selected.  And nothing more.  

Outside of mannerisms going to the wayside, it seems a lot of confusion is coming from Google.  I suspect that many are googling "post interview thank-you note example", where the examples are more for the business world, and to add, a combination thank-you note and follow-up letter.  Not exactly appropriate for the post grad school interview.  For one, in the business world you are more-or-less peers to those who are hiring you.   In grad school, you are not.  Being chummy or too personal in your thank-you may work in a business environment, but not academia.  At least not until you truly are one of them.  

As I wrote previously it is okay to restate your interest in the program as long as you are not pushy, desperate, or brown-nosing.  If you can include aspects of the interview with sincerity, then go for it.  Whether you are aware of it or not, manners are how we relate to other people and in reality an extension of ourselves. If you come across as pushy, desperate, or brown-nosing in your thank-you note (or follow-up email) that is how the PI is going to think of you--even if that was not your intention or  of your true  personality.  That is where the potential KOD lies.  

tl:dr

There is an understanding in the Military:  you salute the rank, not the person.  The thank-you note is to sincerely show gratitude for the opportunity to have interviewed, not to "get one up" on the competition or brown-nose the PI.  

In terms of etiquette, yes, you would send a thank-you note to all who were involved (coordinator, tour guide, any who hosted dinner, happy hour, etc.). 

I often read this thread for some amusement (I probably shouldn't, have to have a program up and running by tomorrow), but I have a general comment: if you are playing a game of inches you are stressing out too much.  Don't change who you are just to try and get into a graduate program. If a thank you note stops you from getting into graduate school, you aren't missing anything from that program. I know thats easy to say from the inside looking out, and much harder to feel that way from the outside looking in. 

Remember, PI's are human. Graduate coordinators are human. Heads of departments are human. They have personalities they like, and don't like, but its hard to know what those are. Its important to be yourself no matter what, because gaming your way into a program could set you up for failure, which will have far more consequences for your life than simply being rejected from a program or two (or all). Failing in graduate school is often the kiss of death for your academic career. 

TLDR: Be yourself, get into the program that is right for you, not the other way around. 

Do not spend to much time in considering whether or not to write a thank you letter. If you want to, just write it. I think during the interview, several other things are more important than dress code, thank you letter etc. The frist one is to be able to explain your research clearly and logically in a short period of time and remember the big picture instead of small details. The second one is to know your interviewer by reading his or her recent publications. The third one is to be confident and interact with your interviewer by asking some academic questions. 

Edited by NSG-mdx

For those of you who have been to an interview already, can you give any info on the "optional" drink hours at night. I have interview next weekend and there is the option to go to a bar with current students and applicants on Friday night. I am not super antisocial but I am a bit shy so I don't have a huge desire to go out drinking after a long day of interviews. I will probably be trying to sneak in some of my own research if time allows anyway since I will be missing work all day Friday as is. Anyway, I am not opposed to grabbing a beer if others recommend it. Did you learn a lot about the program/environment that you didn't from the dinners you went to already? Any advice on this? Also, any info on whether you were able to get any of your own work done during interview weekends or if you were completely busy every minute? Thanks!

Not sure what others think on this, but I thought it was a lot of fun to go out with the grad students after interviews. That is when they really opened up and I was able to hear some of the really great and not so great things about the program. Also it gives you a chance to see how you like the people who are currently in the program and if this is somewhere you feel like you fit in. Lastly, you just finished an interview, you should be able to celebrate and relax a little! :)

I hope everybody gets into a program in which they are happy. 
I am currently playing the waiting game when it comes to interview invitations. 
Has anybody heard from UCSD? I've been under review for a few months now and haven't heard anything. 
I assume most places review apps based on when they were submitted. Has anyone found this true?

Lastly, any advice for interviews?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Applied to (9/0): Baylor College of Medicine, UT-Southwestern, Carnegie Mellon, UNC-Chapel Hill, Emory, UCSD, Michigan, Wisconsin, UTHSC-Houston, 
Rejected (2/9): Wisconsin, Michigan (yay for not having to go interview during their winter!)
Interview (2/9): Baylor College of Medicine, Carnegie Mellon (Interviews coming up)
Accepted (0/9): 
Edited by RegulationNation

what do you all think of bringing some of your data from your research (like figures, graphs, etc) to your interview to use while youre talking about your research with the faculty?

I haven't been to an interview yet (my first is this weekend) so my response may be horrible. I considered this too but I feel that it would make the interviews less authentic and take away from the mutual conversation aspect.

what do you all think of bringing some of your data from your research (like figures, graphs, etc) to your interview to use while youre talking about your research with the faculty?

Hey, 

I thought about doing the same thing, but in general, I think it would look better if you could draw and extrapolate upon your own data and information. 

I think that you want to talk to your PI about this first. I know you're trying to impress others, but that can be a great way to get scooped.

I simply went ahead with assuming I'm rejected by Harvard and Columbia the moment I saw folks get interview invitations from programs that I applied to at these two schools on Results Search. Not pleased at their not saying a word though -- at least UW had the decency of sending rejections soon after sending out interviews. I have no interest whatsoever in being on the waitlist (read: rebound) list at any school. Either take me or reject me.

Not even UW has gotten back to me yet. I have two interviews (Boulder, UCLA) but haven't heard back from Harvard, UW, and the four other schools I've applied to. I assume they'll get to the rejections after they've finished with dealing with their "real" candidates. It would be nice to just hear something at all, though. You'd think a standard letter of rejection would be the easy part: "Dear XYZ, we don't want you, have a nice life, thanks for the app $$$ sucker." Or something like that.

Not even UW has gotten back to me yet. I have two interviews (Boulder, UCLA) but haven't heard back from Harvard, UW, and the four other schools I've applied to. I assume they'll get to the rejections after they've finished with dealing with their "real" candidates. It would be nice to just hear something at all, though. You'd think a standard letter of rejection would be the easy part: "Dear XYZ, we don't want you, have a nice life, thanks for the app $$$ sucker." Or something like that.

There's still a lot of time. I got the final rejection form a couple universities last year in April. Which makes sense when you consider the April 15th deadline. Chill out.

I think its easy to think that its a common courtesy to send out rejection letters ASAP, but honestly the more i think about it the more i feel bad for these adcoms. they're dealing with hundreds and hundreds of applications, with applicants constantly calling the office, sending e-mails, and nagging them to find out when invites were sent out. It seems like it would be easy to just weed out the people invited for interviews and work with them for the few months leading up to interviews than spend a lot more time taking the names of those rejected and sending e-mails. Just on a organizational level it must be hell to keep track of all the applicants, the interviewees, etc. I really feel bad for these guys because this is a very emotional process and theyre probably the butt of a lot of angst coming from the applicants. Every time I've called their offices they always sound so tired, so I feel for them!

I think its easy to think that its a common courtesy to send out rejection letters ASAP, but honestly the more i think about it the more i feel bad for these adcoms. they're dealing with hundreds and hundreds of applications, with applicants constantly calling the office, sending e-mails, and nagging them to find out when invites were sent out. It seems like it would be easy to just weed out the people invited for interviews and work with them for the few months leading up to interviews than spend a lot more time taking the names of those rejected and sending e-mails. Just on a organizational level it must be hell to keep track of all the applicants, the interviewees, etc. I really feel bad for these guys because this is a very emotional process and theyre probably the butt of a lot of angst coming from the applicants. Every time I've called their offices they always sound so tired, so I feel for them!

As difficult as it is, medical schools deal with even more applicants. It is not hard to have a database and simply tick rejection and then have a very, very simple software that sends all sure rejections an e-mail that is personalized. Pay me a couple of grand and I can do it!

It is simply a matter of, why send right away if we can wait? Otherwise, a lot of the time it is the actual faculty (e.g MIT) who send e-mails en masse, the whole process is as quick as an email.

Don't do this. it should be a natural conversation,and you should know your own work well enough not to need figures as a crutch. You are not there to show off a bunch of figures like you are presenting at a conference or something.

As difficult as it is, medical schools deal with even more applicants. It is not hard to have a database and simply tick rejection and then have a very, very simple software that sends all sure rejections an e-mail that is personalized. Pay me a couple of grand and I can do it!

It is simply a matter of, why send right away if we can wait? Otherwise, a lot of the time it is the actual faculty (e.g MIT) who send e-mails en masse, the whole process is as quick as an email.

Communicating with those who are not going to get accepted is a low priority. Unless you're in a group which hits an automatic cutoff early one or somebody who came in for an interview your rejection can wait. An automatic cutoff is easy as you can get a big list of people to send rejections to all at one. Those who come in for an interview have taken the time to come and visit and interact with faculty, so if they're being rejected they should be told soon (although it's still reasonable to tell them after you have offered acceptances to those who interviewed).

Seriously, the deadline is April 15th. It's easy to get impatient, but there's still a lot which can happen between now and then.

Now, that being said, if they don't get back to you in April, then they're being rude.

I didn't do this, but there was another tech in my old lab that was applying at the same time who did. Instead of printing out actual figures, she nicely hand drew some illustrations on a single piece of paper and use that to help guide people through her project. From what I heard the response was pretty good and she did get into her top choice, so at least it didn't hurt that much. But from my experience, I don't think it's necessary. You should be able to describe your project without reference to figures. Interviewers care much more about how you think about your project as a whole and your ability to present it as a logical story, than how pretty your gels look.

thanks for your opinions. this idea was suggested to me by a faculty member i spoke with, but now i don't think i will bring them with me. 

Is it normal/a good idea to send thank you emails (very brief) to the individuals who interviewed you? I just did that and now am afraid I shouldn't have done it?

Not odd at all. Often this is normal business etiquette, like if you had just had a professional interview. I even e-mailed those I interviewed with at the institution I decided on to tell them I was so excited to join their research community. It should only go in the positive direction if written professionally. 

I had my first and probably only interview the other week. There was only a handful of us but it was a smaller department anyway. I'm really nervous now while waiting to hear back. I have an idea of what I will do for the next coming year if I'm rejected but it would also be very painful. I felt like the least qualified interviewee out of the group, so I almost think that I was only a "back up" in the event that one of the more qualified students flopped during the interviews.

Just don't - it's not necessary

I had my first and probably only interview the other week. There was only a handful of us but it was a smaller department anyway. I'm really nervous now while waiting to hear back. I have an idea of what I will do for the next coming year if I'm rejected but it would also be very painful. I felt like the least qualified interviewee out of the group, so I almost think that I was only a "back up" in the event that one of the more qualified students flopped during the interviews.

It's one thing to be nervous (understandably) for your first interview but don't put yourself down like that - if you were invited then the department decided that are a qualified potential student. The interview process is just to help them decide whether you are a good fit. You cannot tell whether you are a less "qualified" applicant based solely on your scholastic aptitude, at this level your research experience and potential will be better indicators of your ability to succeed in the program. It's good to have a backup but until you have a confirmed rejection - don't start putting yourself down. Good luck this application season. 

Hii, I am absolutely new to this forum. 
I am an International Doctor with a MBBS degree who want to apply for PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology before pursuing MD and work to work in translation. My profile is not stellar with 109/120 in TOEFL and GPA of 4(Liberal system used) . I am yet to give GRE. I have 9 weeks research experience in a Laboratory in India and now I am going for a yearlong Research Trainee in Harvard University.I have 6 publications but all are clinically oriented and not Laboratory Research.I was wondering to apply after 5 months of research in Harvard for PhD with GRE. Do you think I stand a chance to do PhD from good Universities mostly IvY league places with my CV??

Thanks a ton!!I I apologize for the inconvenience caused. 

There's still a lot of time. I got the final rejection form a couple universities last year in April. Which makes sense when you consider the April 15th deadline. Chill out.

I was just joking, mostly. I know those at the various universities I listed have a long list of people to wade through and the decision making process isn't easy. On the other hand, it is a major part of someone's life and it would be helpful to know sooner rather than later how that will turn out. I would rather wait than have any committee make their decision lightly, but I think being on this site/forum ratcheted up my impatience far higher than it was, seeing others get their interviews and acceptances already. Anyway, all I can really do is wait, and I have a couple interviews, so I'm not tearing out my hair. Just kidding, really.

They definitely have a stressful job around this time of year, and I would agree that empathy is warranted in this situation. I am sure the process is a difficult one and probably tedious as well. It's strange that some people have received rejections while I certainly assume I will as well, but haven't heard yet. I didn't mean to generate so much ire from a basically offhand joking remark about the cost of the application, but it is kind of expensive to apply, not to mention a giant time investment on the applicant's part. Maybe I am underestimating the time it takes to send rejections, but it's more respectful on their part to realize their applicants have some stake in knowing where they stand, having jumped through all the hoops the school requires for each app. Not to be a jerk, but although I understand and feel for them, they have a responsibility toward those people who have applied as well. I haven't called or emailed once, other than to ensure they've received my materials in a case where it wasn't clear. I am giving them the room to do their part, I would just hope they could take the time and inform me when they can.

But, I can only wait, and hope things turn out well. I appreciate your thoughtfulness toward the adcoms, though.