2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Wait, the POI at a premier research institution took you to his/her restaurant of choice, which was an on-campus cafeteria for lunch?  Talk about wowing the prospects! 

*sarcasm* 

But seriously, it's La Jolla, hope they at least had pescados. 

Chill.  Sometimes the better programs don't really feel the need to over compensate by walking the walk and talking the talk since the school and the research and the faculty there already did all that walking for them.  I don't think it would make me change an opinion of a school if they felt that confident.  I'd be more concerned about those wanting to put on a song and dance.  Kind of like when a guy has a nice car, what am I supposed to look past your shitty personality? 

I feel horrible for their department. I called the director of the program to inquire about joint appointments and find out if I had my app forwarded to chemistry could I work for my research interests in biochem (no, my POIs don't have joint appointments) and we talked about it for a while. I did undergrad and MS in NC. The state does not give two craps about funding education, especially k-12 and it's hitting universities now too. Pretty much, if it's not UNC CH or Duke, they don't get money anymore from state funds. He said the state cut back 18% of their funding.

I'm just so sad for them and multiple other really strong institutions in our state.

Its concerning also because it means they must not have a lot of federal grants to support grad students as well.  A lot of funding for  an institution for research doesn't come from state budgets.

Its concerning also because it means they must not have a lot of federal grants to support grad students as well.  A lot of funding for  an institution for research doesn't come from state budgets.

I think their Biological Sciences department is doing alright.

I went to the BMS interview weekend first week of February, and the first interview is basically you having a one on one lunch/interview with your faculty host. This was the most unique interview weekend of all the schools I've visited, and it is a very enjoyable experience. They take you to their restaurant of choice, so some people stayed on campus while others went elsewhere. My faculty host actually has his lab at Sanford-Burnham research institute so he drove me to that building and we had lunch at their cafeteria. It was very informal so you probably dont' have to worry about it much!

Thanks! Ah ok, I suspected it would be something like that. I just wish I knew who my faculty host was before showing up!

I think their Biological Sciences department is doing alright.

I've heard from a very reputable source that the college of agriculture and life sciences is needing to downsize from 15 departments to 10. Indeed, there are some major funding issues going on at NSCU that should be extremely concerning to prospective students.

Glad I got one acceptance for one of my two back up programs. My other (and unfortunately due to research fit my higher choice) back up school just sent this out. Hopefully, no one has NC State as a top choice.

Dear Applicant

Due to increasing budget and funding cuts scheduled for the next academic year, we will not be able to accept PhD students for fall 2015. This is an unfortunate situation for both the students and professors, but a reality of the times.

Since you already applied to the Graduate School at NC State, your application can be directed to another program at no cost to you. To redirect your application, you need to contact the admissions office in the Graduate School

Question answered, ignore post

Edited by ERR_Alpha

Accepted into MGG DBBS Program at WashU!! I am soooo excited!!!! This is the best feeling I've had thus far. I'll most likely be attending there. Time to let the other schools know.

Whooooo! I really hope we see you in the fall!!! Congratulations and please feel free to send me a message if you have any additional questions!! 

I've heard from a very reputable source that the college of agriculture and life sciences is needing to downsize from 15 departments to 10. Indeed, there are some major funding issues going on at NSCU that should be extremely concerning to prospective students.

Correct. This was discussed in our most recent staff meeting. (I work in CALS)

Accepted into MGG DBBS Program at WashU!! I am soooo excited!!!! This is the best feeling I've had thus far. I'll most likely be attending there. Time to let the other schools know.

I will most likely be going there too for the biophysics program! I still have a couple more interviews but am very heavily leaning towards there so far!

Sooo UC Irvine just offered me an extra 20k for the first year  :blink:. I wasn't going to let money factor into my decision, but damn..

Are you guys considering that as an important factor? I just want to be able to live comfortably (i.e not ramen/pb&j for every meal) for my time in graduate school. 

Sooo UC Irvine just offered me an extra 20k for the first year :blink:. I wasn't going to let money factor into my decision, but damn..

Are you guys considering that as an important factor? I just want to be able to live comfortably (i.e not ramen/pb&j for every meal) for my time in graduate school.

If it's really 20k and not 2k then holy crap, that's a lot of money. Penn State offered me an extra 7k for the first year. It definitely helped make my decision easier. 7k let me pay off my car and establish a savings account, which really minimizes my stress level.

If it's really 20k and not 2k then holy crap, that's a lot of money. Penn State offered me an extra 7k for the first year. It definitely helped make my decision easier. 7k let me pay off my car and establish a savings account, which really minimizes my stress level.

Yep, $20,000; I was pretty shocked myself. I think since UC Irvine is a relatively new school, they are trying to attract students and build a reputation.

Yeah, I do have an emergency fund saved up already (I've been out of school for a few years), but it would be nice to have the extra peace of mind. 

Sooo UC Irvine just offered me an extra 20k for the first year  :blink:. I wasn't going to let money factor into my decision, but damn..

DAMN SON. My friend at Vanderbilt got an extra 10K per year for like 3 years, so that certainly helped her decision (38K is luxurious in Nashville!). Would certainly make me look real hard at your fit as UC Irvine!

I was recently accepted to Northwestern's DPG and the University of Washington's Immunology progam!

I'm still waiting to hear back from two other programs, and it's going to be tough to finally decide on a program. However, it's great to know that I'm going to start working towards another piece of paper this fall! lolz

DAMN SON. My friend at Vanderbilt got an extra 10K per year for like 3 years, so that certainly helped her decision (38K is luxurious in Nashville!). Would certainly make me look real hard at your fit as UC Irvine!

I know right? You would think I had to have pipettes for hands and sneezed publications for that. I actually did like UC Irvine quite a bit, especially the faculty. My only gripe is with the location as I'm not a fan of orange county. Though maybe I'll be living in lab the entire time so it won't matter!

You would think I had to have pipettes for hands and sneezed publications for that.

Currently visualzing this and laughing pretty hard.

But, seriously, 20k is alooooot of money to get at one time. They really just cut you a check for $20,000?

Currently visualzing this and laughing pretty hard.

But, seriously, 20k is alooooot of money to get at one time. They really just cut you a check for $20,000?

:D

They do 10k first quarter and 10k spring quarter of your first year (assuming you aren't failing all your classes, etc). I think they give this fellowship out to multiple new students each year. Maybe future applicants stumbling across this thread will be more likely to apply to UC Irvine next year, haha. 

I wonder if were were at UCLA interviews the same weekend, I liked that program a lot as well! Gah, this whole deciding process is so difficult. 

Damn, that's awesome.

And, personally, I see nothing wrong with taking money into account. As long as it's a good fit making a decision based on money is perfectly reasonable and justified.