2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

So I actually have gotten a chance to visit the school and have a tour and speak to some of the directors there since I live in the NYC area. It's actually a pretty decent stipend in NYC, I think only Cornell and NYU offer higher stipends and a graduate student there told me that they do adjust for cost of living every year. They also have guaranteed housing that is pretty cheap for NYC, they pay anywhere from about $500-$700 in the Upper East Side which is a steal for rent anywhere in NYC but especially that neighborhood.

Also, if you want to know the specifics of the funding, the grad school covers the first year and then the PI picks up the stipend once you declare. It's also not dependent on teaching since they don't have an undergrad campus. 

I am still waiting for Emory Cancer Biology invite :( Do they send invites during weekend, or can I actually stop refreshing my email every 5 minutes? 

It's a pretty great city. If you wanna know anything in particular about it, let me know. I can give you all the info on any of the neighborhoods around the schools. I don't know too much about the academic specifics for all the schools but I know a decent amount about Cornell and Sloan since they are 3 blocks away from me and Sinai since I got to visit all 3. Rockefeller is also around but I don't know too much about it other than they have a really great society meeting with free food and alcohol every month that is open to everyone in the area :)

Wow that's awesome! Also, I'll see you at the Sinai interview weekend! 

Columbia GSAS offers $35000 from what I remember

I am still waiting for Emory Cancer Biology invite :( Do they send invites during weekend, or can I actually stop refreshing my email every 5 minutes? 

Yea, I always forget about Columbia since I didn't apply there but yes, they also offer a great stipend. I don't know about the housing situation they have but Washington Heights has decent rent even out of campus housing so it should be ok. 

I'm not sure what their policy for interviews are but you can always ask them on Monday maybe. 

Wow that's awesome! Also, I'll see you at the Sinai interview weekend! 

For sure!! Let me know closer to the interview weekend and we can exchange contact info and meet up there. I hope to hear back from Hopkins also so maybe I might see you in Baltimore also. 

Oh wow.. congrats! They sent you an interview invite over the weekend?

Also, Harvard BBS is different from DMS, right? (Is BBS one of the branches of DMS?)  I think the program (immunology) I applied to is in DMS but not in BBS... I hope the different groups send out invites separately. Of course if anybody can confirm this that'd be great. :)

I applied to SysBio and MCO and haven't heard back yet, so we're in the same boat

Waaaaay late to the game but since I have started getting interview invites I figured it was time to jump in! (I will be very brief)

Undergrad Institution: Large public university
Major(s): Microbiology
Minor(s): Music
Overall GPA: 3.8
Type of Student: Domestic female

Research Experience: 1 year in evolutionary biology lab at my school, summer internship in immunology lab, past 2 years in a virology lab (1.5 during undergrad included writing and presenting an honors thesis, now currently a junior scientist in the same lab)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  Graduated summa cum laude

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Currently working as a junior scientist, was an introductory biology lab TA last year

Congrats to everyone who has received an interview invite so far!

Edited by cocomo

Seems like a wonderful community, so I'll join in, and stop just ghost reading. (apologies if I mess up the format, this is my first time using this -or really any- online forum, heresy, I know.)

Undergrad Institution: Public University, somewhat known for the sciences.
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.4
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic, Male, First generation college graduate,

GRE Scores (revised)
Q: 161 (80th)
V: 163 (93rd)
W: 4 (56th)
B:

Research Experience: I did a summer fellowship in an immunology lab, and a yearly fellowship in a systems biology lab abroad.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List (7/8 semesters) NSF STEM Scholar, Fulbright Research Fellowship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I worked as a research tech (mostly animal husbandry) for a year before school and for some time during my first two years.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: One publication (second author)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Applying to Where:

Stanford Immunology,

Harvard Immunology,

NIH-OxCam,

Emory Immunology,

Michigan Immunology,

Columbia Immunology,

Weill Cornell Immunology

(I don't know how to get that bottom thing that lists all schools and progress, if anyone can tell me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Seems like a wonderful community, so I'll join in, and stop just ghost reading. (apologies if I mess up the format, this is my first time using this -or really any- online forum, heresy, I know.)

Undergrad Institution: Public University, somewhat known for the sciences.

Major(s): Biochemistry

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: 3.4

Overall GPA: 3.6

Position in Class: N/A

Type of Student: Domestic, Male, First generation college graduate,

GRE Scores (revised)

Q: 161 (80th)

V: 163 (93rd)

W: 4 (56th)

B:

Research Experience: I did a summer fellowship in an immunology lab, and a yearly fellowship in a systems biology lab abroad.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List (7/8 semesters) NSF STEM Scholar, Fulbright Research Fellowship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I worked as a research tech (mostly animal husbandry) for a year before school and for some time during my first two years.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: One publication (second author)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Applying to Where:

Stanford Immunology,

Harvard Immunology,

NIH-OxCam,

Emory Immunology,

Michigan Immunology,

Columbia Immunology,

Weill Cornell Immunology

(I don't know how to get that bottom thing that lists all schools and progress, if anyone can tell me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Just go to your profile, then edit profile, then go to the tab on the side called 'signature'!

Give at least two weeks post-due date.

Sounds good. I know adcom was supposed to review my application last week and I've seen that interview invites were sent out based on the results page. So not sure if it was to early to send out an e-mail or not, especially with the holidays approaching. 

Sounds good. I know adcom was supposed to review my application last week and I've seen that interview invites were sent out based on the results page. So not sure if it was to early to send out an e-mail or not, especially with the holidays approaching. 

I would just try to be patient. I dont think I will ask for application inquiries until the end of January or so.

I would just try to be patient. I dont think I will ask for application inquiries until the end of January or so.

Crap...I'm way too neurotic for that...on an unrelated note, have you heard anything about the Bioinformatics program at Louisville? I just found out about it this morning and it has never been brought up on this site as far as I can tell. 

Crap...I'm way too neurotic for that...on an unrelated note, have you heard anything about the Bioinformatics program at Louisville? I just found out about it this morning and it has never been brought up on this site as far as I can tell. 

Haha im struggling too. I check the results page on here every hour or so.

No I haven't... Im into protein structure/dynamics though and don't tend to know much about genomics or systems bio focused programs. I just looked at the site and it looks interesting and different. There are professors doing biomath stuff like infectious disease modeling that you dont normally see in bioinformatics departments. If the professors are doing stuff you like then I dont see any downsides in applying!