2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

On 12/16/2014 at 10:05 PM, Lana193 said:

Thanks! I guess I should reply to them tomorrow morning......

I waited about a week to respond to johns hopkins. I was going to wait to see if I got more interviews first but then I decided it wasn't worth the gamble for such a good program. Ideally I wan't to go to NYC so I responded to Sinai right away (they also gave me a deadline of a few days to respond) and I haven't responded to UPenn yet because according to previous years NYU Sackler and Columbia should be sending out invites soon (maybe this week?)

Some of my deadlines haven't even passed yet! My top choice has a deadline of January 1st, so it's going to be a while before I hear back. Actually, my top 3 choices won't even start looking at apps until mid-January, so it's going to be a long, rough wait. UWash and WUSTL are actually pretty low on my list, so it's kind of funny that they are the first to send out invites! Still, I really want to hear something, and they are sending their invites this week, so the anxiety is getting stronger!

My deadlines are mostly between Jan. 5th and Jan. 15th.  I do have one for Feb. 1st and one for Feb. 15th, though.    Ironically, the Feb. 15th application is the only one I have submitted so far.

I hope I get an invite.  I'd love to have an excuse to visit New England in the dead of winter (not being sarcastic, I really do love New England winters).  

Hey, I also just got an email invitation from Yale BBS this evening. I assume you applied to the immunology track? I'm excited about the interview weekend, and I guess I'll see you in February. :)

Yes I did! That's awesome, congrats. I'll see you then! :) Edited by neverdecaf

Help?!?! 

I saw on the results page that someone International had gotten an interview from GSK. I applied there, but didn't receive an email. But I decided to log on to my GSK application portal and saw that a link has appeared on my application that wasn't there before called "Interview Response" and upon clicking it, it opens a new window asking me to either accept or decline an invitation to interview.

I am almost hyperventilating. Was this a system mistake or have I really been invited to interview?!?!?!! I haven't gotten an email!

Help?!?! 

I saw on the results page that someone International had gotten an interview from GSK. I applied there, but didn't receive an email. But I decided to log on to my GSK application portal and saw that a link has appeared on my application that wasn't there before called "Interview Response" and upon clicking it, it opens a new window asking me to either accept or decline an invitation to interview.

I am almost hyperventilating. Was this a system mistake or have I really been invited to interview?!?!?!! I haven't gotten an email!

Me too! I checked the website last night and nothing. I just checked now and I also have this new button 

Well I just got excited for no reason. The secretary from Indiana emailed me, but the subject just said something about the biology department and made no mention of the school or the ecology program. So I thought it was an email from the biology program at WashU.

Instead, it was just a note that my application was complete and would be sent to the adcomm for review. Ah, the torture of waiting.

I need to turn down an interview invite and I am crumbling. I really don't want to turn it down, but it's back-to-back with another school and I am much more enthusiastic about the second school.

In this moment of heightened anxiety and tearfulness, could somebody please tell me how to reject an interview? I can't reason with myself right now, I feel awful and I might hurl. 

Sorry for how emotional this sounds. I just didn't envision this happening.

I need to turn down an interview invite and I am crumbling. I really don't want to turn it down, but it's back-to-back with another school and I am much more enthusiastic about the second school.

In this moment of heightened anxiety and tearfulness, could somebody please tell me how to reject an interview? I can't reason with myself right now, I feel awful and I might hurl. 

Ugh...I HATED that feeling. I took a few different approaches. I think I most often went with something along the lines of:

"Thank you so much for the time you put into reviewing my application but due to <insert reason here: conflicting schedules, unforseen circumstances etc.> I will be unable to attend the interview weekend scheduled and would like to withdraw my application from <institution>. Again, thank you for your time and I wish you all the best with upcoming interviews/new students.."

If they inquired further, I was upfront about my situation...that I was very interested in their program, but had been forced to choose given scheduling circumstances. The hardest part is when they REALLY want you and put a lot of effort into changing your mind. Just hold firm; this is your future!

But, before you cancel, if you still have any level of real interest in the school, would you be interested in asking for a Skype interview? I did that with one of my interviews and it ended up fine. 

@glow_gene, thank you for your invaluable help. I'm going through the same thing right now.

I hope it's helpful ^^. Others may have better tactics....

...and you guys are helping me temporarily forget my thesis proposal is on Friday so rock on :D

Can you ask the school you are less excited about for an alternative weekend? Several posters in last year's thread reported that this worked for them. If not, a skype interview.

@pasteltomato, I am right there with you. I know to some people, conflicting interviews may sound like a petty thing to complain about in the context of the whole process, but the frustrating thing is that an interview offer does not constitute a guaranteed acceptance, so none of the cards are in our hands as applicants. I, for one, never anticipated that I would already be getting interviews and having to manage conflicts. My theme for applications was apparently go big or go home, and I was expecting (hopefully) 1-2 interviews and not this many so soon, so this is really difficult for me as well.

Ugh...I HATED that feeling. I took a few different approaches. I think I most often went with something along the lines of:

"Thank you so much for the time you put into reviewing my application but due to <insert reason here: conflicting schedules, unforseen circumstances etc.> I will be unable to attend the interview weekend scheduled and would like to withdraw my application from <institution>. Again, thank you for your time and I wish you all the best with upcoming interviews/new students.."

If they inquired further, I was upfront about my situation...that I was very interested in their program, but had been forced to choose given scheduling circumstances. The hardest part is when they REALLY want you and put a lot of effort into changing your mind. Just hold firm; this is your future!

But, before you cancel, if you still have any level of real interest in the school, would you be interested in asking for a Skype interview? I did that with one of my interviews and it ended up fine. 

Thank you!

I will email them and ask about a skype interview. It's UW...I feel like they won't appreciate feeling back-burnered...but I've got nothing to lose by trying.

Make sure you convey to the adcom that you won't be able to attend due to schedule conflict but you are still interested. You can ask if there are other weekends available, or a phone/skype interview. 

Good luck!!

Just checked my Sloan Kettering application to see if the interview tab was there and it said my application was still incomplete! I sent my GRE scores on 11/13 and they still didn't make it. I called the administrator from GSK and they said I would still be considered as long as I put my scores in the application. Thank god!  :(