2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Thanks for the info on UCSF! I will probably be refreshing my email non stop next week. I figure a lot more programs will have had time to review and send out apps so fingers crossed! 

How is the BMS program at UCSF if you don't mind me asking? 

I totally missed this initially. Honestly, UCSF and BMS in particular is amazing. I feel at home here and have no lingering doubts about "what-if" I went to a different program. The graduate student body and professors here are absolutely fantastic and everyone is willing to help to get you to succeed. If you are looking for a cool program at a top-tier institution in a happening city, I can't recommend any other program.

Got an invite to interview from Ohio State! (sorry. THE Ohio State). Their actual application deadline was today, but I submitted mine on Nov. 22nd, so that everything would get in by the Dec 1st deadline if you wanted to be considered for fellowships.

Has anyone heard anything from Washington MCB? Or have any idea when their interview weekend might be? I just want to make sure they don't clash because Washington is my top choice (based on what I've seen on paper - I've been told visiting schools will change my opinions possibly drastically) 

The weekend Ohio invited me to is Jan 15-17th (travel on 15 and 17, interview day is the 16th).

I've now gotten four emails from UCLA "updating" the status of my application (nothing is actually updated). Pretty sure they are trying to give me a heart attack. 

Ya I've gotten those email's as well, just got one about 10 minutes ago actually. I don't think they've actually started looking at the home group (Immunity and Microbial Pathogenesis) yet. Also I've seen two interviews for UNC BBSP. I know a lot of people on here applied there but I haven't seen anyone claim the interview.

Ya I've gotten those email's as well, just got one about 10 minutes ago actually. I don't think they've actually started looking at the home group (Immunity and Microbial Pathogenesis) yet. Also I've seen two interviews for UNC BBSP. I know a lot of people on here applied there but I haven't seen anyone claim the interview.

I posted about getting an invite to UNC BBSP on December 5th, but I didn't post it on results. It looks like they're sending them pretty gradually!

I posted about getting an invite to UNC BBSP on December 5th, but I didn't post it on results. It looks like they're sending them pretty gradually!

I would agree. I take it you applied for the Microbiology and Immunology program? 

I also just got one of those update about receipt of application materials emails from UCLA. 

One thing I wonder is, how do you know if Schools do invites on any kind of rolling basis? I want to know whether or not to freak out if I see invites sent out for programs I've applied to but I haven't heard anything?

UNC BBSP will send out interviews in waves through January as the committees have time to read through all the applications (1300). It happens this way every year.

Don't freak out if you haven't got one yet.

Edited by mop

UNC BBSP will send out interviews in waves through January as the committees have time to read through all the applications (1300). It happens this way every year.

Don't freak out if you haven't got one yet.

Thanks for the info! Any idea whether all applications are evaluated together or split up by interests? My SOP specifies that I am interested in the bioinformatics PhD.

Edited by bsharpe269

Fairly late to the game also... But many of your posts have been so informative I figured I'd also chime in and stop being a ghost reader. 

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 private research university 
Major(s): Biology
GPA in Major: 3.9
Overall GPA: 3.7
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores (Revised)
Q: 168 (95%)
V: 163 (92%)
W: 4.0 (56%)

Research Experience: 5 semesters (part-time) in an immunology lab; 2 summer internships in biotech industry and 1 summer internship in a cancer center (immunology lab) 
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 1 publication (3rd author) 
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 2 of my recommenders are fairly well-known in the field, i think. 

Applying to Where: Penn (IGG), Stanford Biosciences (Immunology), Washington University in St. Louis (DBBS - Immunology), Weill Cornell (IMP), UT Health/MD Anderson (GSBS - Immunology), Yale BBS (Immunology), Harvard DMS (Immunology), and MIT Biology.  

Congratulations to all those who have received interview invitations! I hope to meet some of you on these interview weekends. 

I know this is a long shot but wanted to know if anyone out there who got an interview for Mt. Sinai PhD Biomedical Sciences wanted to switch dates with me? They only have the February 2-3rd date available and I really want to attend the January 8-9th interview dates which is now full. Please message me if you are interested. Best of luck to everyone!

I know this is a long shot but wanted to know if anyone out there who got an interview for Mt. Sinai PhD Biomedical Sciences wanted to switch dates with me? They only have the February 2-3rd date available and I really want to attend the January 8-9th interview dates which is now full. Please message me if you are interested. Best of luck to everyone!

What program did you apply to? For me the options were Jan 8-9 or Jan 12-13

What program did you apply to? For me the options were Jan 8-9 or Jan 12-13

I am applying to the Immunology training area. Those were the options I originally had but they are both full now so they added the Feb. 2-3rd date.

Edited by immuno9780