2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

I'm clearly jumpy about getting emails from admissions - twice in the past two days I got letters from University of Washington admissions, and I jumped out of my chair in excitement. Both emails were just notifications that my letters of recommendation for the second program I'm applying to there had been submitted. 

All these interview invites are starting to make me freak out. I shouldn't be freaking out yet right?

I was freaking out too until I got my first interview today. Only 2 of my programs even start sending invites in December... based on previous years, I'm expecting most in January or even February. You have like 2 months before you should start freaking out!

@molecularmagic, only a few programs have already sent them out, and I doubt they have already sent out all of them. My understanding is that depending on the program, they could come anywhere from now until the end of January for programs that are interviewing students earlier next year, and even later than January for those programs that accept on a rolling basis.

Anyone who has been through this before, what is the protocol for conflicting interviews? I have been offered 3 interviews so far, and luckily, none conflict, but what is the best course of action if/when the interviews are scheduled for the same weekend? I'm afraid and hopefully optimistic that I get enough interviews for this to be an issue.

Thanks!

Congrats everyone with interviews! 

@swaye15: It's something that is pretty likely to happen. The first conflict I just said I had a prior commitment that weekend and did they have another option and everything was fine. It becomes awkward when there are no alternatives and the second school is one you're more interested in. The second conflict I had to call a school from which I had already accepted an interview invite and ask if I could be transferred to a different weekend. Thankfully there was room but it was still an awkward call (they knew what was up). If there's an unavoidable conflict, you may have to decide between declining an interview and asking if a Skype interview/non-traditional weekend visit would be available. 

Anyone who has been through this before, what is the protocol for conflicting interviews? I have been offered 3 interviews so far, and luckily, none conflict, but what is the best course of action if/when the interviews are scheduled for the same weekend? I'm afraid and hopefully optimistic that I get enough interviews for this to be an issue.

Thanks!

Ya, I asked this same thing months ago, and to no avail really. You are going to have to possibly reschedule or ignore one of them and go to the other. If you are really hoping for a particular interview but haven't heard back, but your other schools are sending you invites, contact your school of choice and let them know your concerned. It never hurts to ask, but right now I have two interviews and a third on the way once their deadline passes. I am also worried about conflicting times. Don't agree to ANY dates if they ask which date you would prefer until more invites come your way. In the case that two dates conflict and there is no leeway between them, then pick the school that you would rather go to and the one you feel like you have more of a shot with if your are stuck between two schools. Good luck.

Edited by Ted Binsky

I think you're fine. People only seem to be getting interviews from the same schools which seems like they are processing their applications early

Does this mean that Emory and WUSTL have sent out all of their interview invites?  :unsure:

Does this mean that Emory and WUSTL have sent out all of their interview invites?  :unsure:

I can't speak for Emory but WUSTL's DBBS sub-programs discuss applications and send out invites separately. You only need to start worrying if you see invites specifically to MCB. The larger programs also usually send out more than one wave of interview requests. Happy thoughts!

If you have conflicting interviews, simply contact the program director and they will try to accomodate you as best as possible. Usually the options go 1) original weekend, 2) other interview weekend (if offered), 3) make-up interview weekend (if there are enough people who need to reschedule), 4) independent visit, and 5) Skype interviews.

Also: UCSF BMS will send out invites next week for anyone who has applied and is waiting. Interview weekends are Jan 22-25 and Feb 5-8. Around ~40 interviewees per weekend.

I'm sure they haven't sent all of the interview invites but they are most likely sending out the first wave of interview invites. In my email, they advised me to respond to them by december 23rd but the interview weekends are scheduled for January 22nd-24th. That probably gives them time to continue to send out interviews to as many candidates as possible until right before the interview. 

If you have conflicting interviews, simply contact the program director and they will try to accomodate you as best as possible. Usually the options go 1) original weekend, 2) other interview weekend (if offered), 3) make-up interview weekend (if there are enough people who need to reschedule), 4) independent visit, and 5) Skype interviews.

Also: UCSF BMS will send out invites next week for anyone who has applied and is waiting. Interview weekends are Jan 22-25 and Feb 5-8. Around ~40 interviewees per weekend.

Thanks for the info on UCSF! I will probably be refreshing my email non stop next week. I figure a lot more programs will have had time to review and send out apps so fingers crossed! 

How is the BMS program at UCSF if you don't mind me asking? 

I am not sure, I seem to recall getting either an invite or an acceptance on a weekend once which was not something I expected.  Clearly it was via email and not a call.

Edited by peachypie