2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Sorry to hear that :( But congrats on the interview offers you've got lined up! 

If you don't mind me asking... Did WashU notify you by email? I ask because I also sent in an application. It seems like they're beginning to send out emails now. My only hope is that no matter what my outcome is, they'll notify me early, because the wait is unbearable. I'm international, so don't know if that would make a difference...

On 12/16/2014 at 5:09 PM, CoomassieFingers said:

Also rejected. I second both those emotions!

I'm sorry to hear that :( I looked at your stats and I'm surprised because you have a lot of papers....I have none.

I keep thinking "Oh, this former labmate of mine got into WashU DBBS a few years ago that means I can!"

Then I remember "Former labmate has a first author paper in science. crap." (and numerous 2nd and 3rd author publications)

Yeah, I'm disappointed- but at the same time, other than my experience, my stats aren't that great, and I know that their admission rate is quite low.

A 1st author Science paper?! If that's the bar I don't feel so bad at all. Haha. Regardless, best of luck to you!

Everything I've heard about WashU tells me it's ridiculously hard to get into. There's a grad student at my current university who worked there as a technician and wasn't able to get in.

Thanks for the info! Any idea whether all applications are evaluated together or split up by interests? My SOP specifies that I am interested in the bioinformatics PhD.

Yes they are split up into different interest groups. The interview weekends are also divided up somewhat as well.

Congrats on the interview :D !!!

On 12/16/2014 at 5:11 PM, rbear91 said:

Sorry to hear that :( But congrats on the interview offers you've got lined up! 

If you don't mind me asking... Did WashU notify you by email? I ask because I also sent in an application. It seems like they're beginning to send out emails now. My only hope is that no matter what my outcome is, they'll notify me early, because the wait is unbearable. I'm international, so don't know if that would make a difference...

It was indeed by e-mail, WashU seems to be pretty on top of it regarding their admissions timeline so I am sure you will here a response soon enough. It is a great school so congrats to everyone who heard good news from them!

When was their biology program deadline? I also applied to their Microbiology program (turned in the application the same day as the MCB one) and their deadline wasn't until Monday - MCB's was December 1st

The Biology deadline was also December 1st. The few results available in the results search are around now (along with WUSTL). Neither are my first choice, but the waiting is killing me!

Hi, shadowclaw, I'm also applying to Biology and EEB programs. Our deadlines were usually later, so I'm not worrying about it now. Although seeing so many people getting invites to their interviews makes me so anxious! The POI's I contacted after applying all told me I should hear something back from them around January... looks like we have to be a little more patient and deal with the anxiety. Meanwhile, congratulations to everyone getting their interview invitations.

On 12/16/2014 at 9:15 PM, Soldier of Love said:

Hi, shadowclaw, I'm also applying to Biology and EEB programs. Our deadlines were usually later, so I'm not worrying about it now. Although seeing so many people getting invites to their interviews makes me so anxious! The POI's I contacted after applying all told me I should hear something back from them around January... looks like we have to be a little more patient and deal with the anxiety. Meanwhile, congratulations to everyone getting their interview invitations.

Some of my deadlines haven't even passed yet! My top choice has a deadline of January 1st, so it's going to be a while before I hear back. Actually, my top 3 choices won't even start looking at apps until mid-January, so it's going to be a long, rough wait. Washington and WUSTL are actually pretty low on my list, so it's kind of funny that they are the first to send out invites! Still, I really want to hear something, and they are sending their invites this week, so the anxiety is getting stronger!

UVa invite yesterday and Yale BBS today...so happy.

Congrats everyone who's getting interviews! It makes it even more exciting to check on here and see how many other people are having good application seasons! 

Hey, I also just got an email invitation from Yale BBS this evening. I assume you applied to the immunology track?  I'm excited about the interview weekend, and I guess I'll see you in February. :)

Some of my deadlines haven't even passed yet! My top choice has a deadline of January 1st, so it's going to be a while before I hear back. Actually, my top 3 choices won't even start looking at apps until mid-January, so it's going to be a long, rough wait. UWash and WUSTL are actually pretty low on my list, so it's kind of funny that they are the first to send out invites! Still, I really want to hear something, and they are sending their invites this week, so the anxiety is getting stronger!

I know, I still haven't applied to Stony Brook Ecology and Evolution (deadline January 15th). However I did have a Dec. 1st deadline (Princeton EEB) and right after I applied, POI told me he would read it when the grad school sends it to them in a few weeks. I don't know what "few" means here, which is making me a little anxious too. Plus, some people have already posted interview invites from Princeton Molecular Biology in the results sections. It looks like I'm in the same situation as you are.

Congrats to everyone getting invites! :D

Anyone have any idea how long would be too long to wait to reply to an interview invite?

I usually reply to emails within 24 hours, but with potentially conflicting interview dates I'm trying to strategically pick weekends when a school gives options.

I received an invite last Friday that I've been waiting to reply to because I know a LOT of invites will be sent out this week, and I want to avoid conflicting dates/ cancelling interviews as much as I can. But at this point I feel like I'm being rude for not responding. Do I need to email them ASAP or can I wait a few more days?

Congrats to everyone getting invites! :D

Anyone have any idea how long would be too long to wait to reply to an interview invite?

I usually reply to emails within 24 hours, but with potentially conflicting interview dates I'm trying to strategically pick weekends when a school gives options.

I received an invite last Friday that I've been waiting to reply to because I know a LOT of invites will be sent out this week, and I want to avoid conflicting dates/ cancelling interviews as much as I can. But at this point I feel like I'm being rude for not responding. Do I need to email them ASAP or can I wait a few more days?

It probably depends on the program. Wash MCB said "I look forward to hearing from you today!" in the closer of the email, so i assumed I had to get back to them ASAP. Ohio State said to reply by 5pm on the 21st. I guess if the program is more competitive it is better to reply ASAP