2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

@Lana 193 and any others who are considering the plan of accept and then plan to email to switch later this is a big interview faux pas and kind of inappropriate. Once you commit to a weekend you should assume you are unable to move your date especially if its for the reason that another school came along that you want to interview at more. As I have compared it previously, its like cancelling a date because someone hotter came along. Its just a poor move and you'll end up the one looking unprofessional, remember these people are now in your field/you future career. Don't make a name for yourself like that.

Is that the only sloan interview date? is it the 13th and 14th? That's weird that it's during the week. When did you get the interview invite if you don't mind my asking?

No of course I don't mind. I got the email this morning. It's 13th-15th Jan. I assume it's the only date because they mentioned only that in the email and also when I asked to switch date/do skype interview, I was told they will contact me later with skype interview dates.

It sucks that I'll be out of the country because I feel like the interview is more like a chance to see for myself what it will be like attending the school...

We have 5 schools in common!

No of course I don't mind. I got the email this morning. It's 13th-15th Jan. I assume it's the only date because they mentioned only that in the email and also when I asked to switch date/do skype interview, I was told they will contact me later with skype interview dates.

It sucks that I'll be out of the country because I feel like the interview is more like a chance to see for myself what it will be like attending the school...

We have 5 schools in common!

Really? Cool! You should do the signature thing so people can see what schools you applied to and whatnot. 

I'm really nervous about SK, I'm really hoping for an interview. So far I haven't heard anything back but I noticed that three people got interviews and three people got rejected. I'm actually super nervous because I thought my SOP was one of my strong points but for the SK app they put a limit on the number of characters so I had to cut it down to less than half of what I wrote for the other schools!  :unsure:

@Lana 193 and any others who are considering the plan of accept and then plan to email to switch later this is a big interview faux pas and kind of inappropriate. Once you commit to a weekend you should assume you are unable to move your date especially if its for the reason that another school came along that you want to interview at more. As I have compared it previously, its like cancelling a date because someone hotter came along. Its just a poor move and you'll end up the one looking unprofessional, remember these people are now in your field/you future career. Don't make a name for yourself like that.

Thank you for the honesty! This is why I was so concerned about even waiting too long to reply to emails, I'm conscious of the professionalism aspect and I'm thankful you put this back in perspective.

This is depressing :'( Everyone has multiple invites and I am sitting here stuck on one

It doesn't matter, all you need is one. You can only attend one program after all.

Very true, there are pros and cons to everything. Having multiple interviews means having to make tough choices in terms of program availability. Also, I think a lot of your programs haven't notified yet. For example, Weill Cornell, NYU, MIT haven't sent out any interview offers yet so you still have a chance at an interview there. Don't lose hope yet! :) 

Got a BMS interview at UCSF! Best day of my undergrad career.

Interview at UCSF!!!

Congrats on UCSF guys!! A couple of my friends go there and they have nothing but awesome things to say about it. I'm refreshing my inbox every 5 minutes now. I hope I get a chance to visit San Fran with you guys!

Thank you for the honesty! This is why I was so concerned about even waiting too long to reply to emails, I'm conscious of the professionalism aspect and I'm thankful you put this back in perspective.

yeah...so is the conclusion that instead of accepting the interview, we should wait to respond if we think we might hear back soon from a school that we like better?

Another question that I've been wondering...is there a difference between applying to weill cornell and sloan kettering? Because when you go on the weill cornell website it says on the top "a unique partnership between SK institute and will cornell medical college"

I dont know if i should have applied to weill cornell as well but i thought it was the same....

Another question that I've been wondering...is there a difference between applying to weill cornell and sloan kettering? Because when you go on the weill cornell website it says on the top "a unique partnership between SK institute and will cornell medical college"

I dont know if i should have applied to weill cornell as well but i thought it was the same....

This is a confusing relationship, but there are a few important differences between the programs:

All Sloan-Kettering labs are open to Weill Cornell students, but Cornell labs are NOT open to Sloan students.

The other main differences are in the programs' structures and curricula. Cornell's is a larger program and has standard length rotations (semester). Sloan is a small program (~10 students) and has 3 week rotations, which is very unusual. Sloan has one "Core" course, which is separated from the rotations in time and is completed during the first year. Cornell's curriculum is more rigorous, and it is a more traditional program.

Has anyone heard from Columbia CMBS program?

Nope :/

This is a confusing relationship, but there are a few important differences between the programs:

All Sloan-Kettering labs are open to Weill Cornell students, but Cornell labs are NOT open to Sloan students.

The other main differences are in the programs' structures and curricula. Cornell's is a larger program and has standard length rotations (semester). Sloan is a small program (~10 students) and has 3 week rotations, which is very unusual. Sloan has one "Core" course, which is separated from the rotations in time and is completed during the first year. Cornell's curriculum is more rigorous, and it is a more traditional program.

only 10?! Damn, I should have applied to cornell. So sad  :(

Nope :/

only 10?! Damn, I should have applied to cornell. So sad  :(

Don't worry! That's only the number that generally accepts offers, not the number they admit. I don't know those statistics, but I don't think they're more competitive than Cornell.

I saw a Mt Sinai Microbiology invite on the results. If that person is on this, when did you submit your application? Do you know when the interview dates are?

I got an interview in Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, but it seems like the dates are the same : 

Jan 8-9 Jan 12-13 Feb 2-3

I see on the results page that someone got an interview from the University of Washington ecology, evolution, and conservation group. Has anyone else?

No, although technically I applied to the biology program, not EEC (but I did specify research interests in ecology and conservation biology). I found it odd that the person listed the result that way rather than biology.

For those who have received UNC BBSP interviews, how did you accept the invitation? There is a link to a form to fill out, which I did a couple days ago, but I haven't heard anything else from the school since filling it out. This makes me wonder if I should actually respond by email to the invitation in addition to filling out the form.

Interview at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine!!! (Graduate Program in Immunology)

Interview at University of Pittsburgh IBGP!!!

Wow, 5 interviews at top programs! You're going to have really great choices for grad school! Congrats CancerImmune

Are you going to the UChicago jan 29th-31st weekend? If you are, I'll see you there :)

Wow, 5 interviews at top programs! You're going to have really great choices for grad school! Congrats CancerImmune

Are you going to the UChicago jan 29th-31st weekend? If you are, I'll see you there :)

Thanks. I really appreciate it. I will be at UChicago that weekend. I look forward to talking with you.