2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Just got an interview offer from UNC BBSP for Feb. 5-7, but I've got a conflict with that date. For those of you who have also gotten interviews from them, were they on other weekends? Wondering if they've got more than one and I can ask for a different weekend. 

My interview is Jan 22-24. I am interested in biophysical modeling, computational approaches to protein structure and folding. I'm not sure how they split up the weekends.

Edited by bsharpe269

Also waiting for a response from Harvard Systems Biology. Does anyone when they're sending out the interview offers?

I'm guessing they're either already out or their sending it next early week. It's also possible that they might send out after the break. Looks like in past years their interviews were also sent first week of Jan.

Missed a call from a suppressed number about two hours ago and now I am obviously going nuts because I am thinking it might have been an interview offer... How long does it usually take for an email to be sent after a call? And do international students get offers via phone at all? The call was probably related to something totally different, but it feels so good to have something to believe in :D

Interview at Harvard Immunology!!! I can't believe it. I have a scheduling conflict though and I'm not sure how to handle it.

I'm in the same boat...I'm going to try to reschedule my other one as politely as possible. I had to do that once already and the school was really accommodating. Congrats and I hope I'll see you there!

Missed a call from a suppressed number about two hours ago and now I am obviously going nuts because I am thinking it might have been an interview offer... How long does it usually take for an email to be sent after a call? And do international students get offers via phone at all? The call was probably related to something totally different, but it feels so good to have something to believe in :D

MSU took a day to email after call. Emory emailed the same day (I missed the call). Within a day or two you should hear back hopefully!!

Just got an interview offer from UNC BBSP for Feb. 5-7, but I've got a conflict with that date. For those of you who have also gotten interviews from them, were they on other weekends? Wondering if they've got more than one and I can ask for a different weekend. 

There are other weekends - I was able to reschedule for January 22-24, but you should contact them directly and ask. Best of luck!

sigh... none of my programs sent out invites today! I don't expect any more until mid January. Im jealous of all of you guys who already heard back from the majority of your schools! For 4 of my schools, the deadlines haven't even passed yet!

sigh... none of my programs sent out invites today! I don't expect any more until mid January. Im jealous of all of you guys who already heard back from the majority of your schools! For 4 of my schools, the deadlines haven't even passed yet!

12/14 of my schools are not done with invites yet. A couple have sent early invites, but are not finished. The rest of them, probably 9 of them wont send anything until January. So I am in the same boat and am jealous of all the good news going on in here. 

I posted this in another section, but I was hoping to get some life science specific opinions. 

Yesterday, I had a professor from a school I applied for send me an email and ask me for the contact information for my manager at my last industry job. It wasn't a research job, but I worked at a company that creates a product that is very useful in a research setting. I have already submitted my three academic LOR and apparently my application is being reviewed at some level right now. 

Questions:

1) Is it strange for someone reviewing your application to ask for a professional letter of reference? I haven't heard of that before, but I guess it kind of makes sense because you are applying for a job in the department. 

Thoughts?

2) I am not sure if this prof is interested in me personally or assigned to review my application as part of the adcom. Does it make more sense that someone is doing their due diligence for their own sake? Or just for the sake of knowing if my work ethic would fit in the department?

Which do you think is more likely? 

Hey everyone, so I see that a lot of people got interviews for Harvard BBS today. I didn't receive any email today but I really have my heart set on that program. Should I take it as a rejection or do you think they will likely send out more invites next week? Also, can the people who got interviews to BBS share at what time they received the email? I got an invite from UCSF BMS a few days ago and the email was sent at 6:45 pm California time ... So I dont know if there's any chance Harvard is still sending out invites today...

Hey everyone, so I see that a lot of people got interviews for Harvard BBS today. I didn't receive any email today but I really have my heart set on that program. Should I take it as a rejection or do you think they will likely send out more invites next week? Also, can the people who got interviews to BBS share at what time they received the email? I got an invite from UCSF BMS a few days ago and the email was sent at 6:45 pm California time ... So I dont know if there's any chance Harvard is still sending out invites today...

I think they might send more offers. Maybe even this weekend. My email came at noon (pacific time).