2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

It seems like all of the rejections to sloan kettering went out on the 16th and the interview invites on the 17th. Has anybody else not heard back from them? I'm wondering if this means that I'm "waitlisted" as in if not enough people accept the interview I might get one?

are invitations sent out later in the evening as well or shouldn't I expect anything to come after 6pm or so?

I think it's highly unlikely. The latest I've heard from a program was around 4pm, but keep in mind that different time zones will affect that. So a west coast school might send after 6 your time while 6 will come earlier for east coast schools. 

I think it's highly unlikely. The latest I've heard from a program was around 4pm, but keep in mind that different time zones will affect that. So a west coast school might send after 6 your time while 6 will come earlier for east coast schools. 

Although I did get an interview on the weekend, which I thought was odd...

are invitations sent out later in the evening as well or shouldn't I expect anything to come after 6pm or so?

I think it depends on who's sending them out. I got my Emory interview invite timestamped at 8PM ish, but that might have been because the professor who emailed me was at an international conference and it might've been "normal" hours for him wherever he was.

Interview to Columbia CMBS!  :)

I also received an invitation to interview at Columbia CMBS in the morning as well  :D!! I'll be going the same days you are so we might see each other there.

Edited by lzerimar

I think it depends on who's sending them out. I got my Emory interview invite timestamped at 8PM ish, but that might have been because the professor who emailed me was at an international conference and it might've been "normal" hours for him wherever he was.

I mean I wouldn't count out getting an invite outside of office hours, but I definitely stop compulsively checking my email after 5. I might go insane otherwise.

@lana 193 and lilbert 5: Regarding accepting interviews, I posted about this earlier in another thread. I'd recommend you have a list of the programs of most interest to you to lowest and rank them. I'd do the research to find out which, if any of the schools, may have overlapping interviews. If you hear from a program ranked lower to you than another before you hear from a more favorite than I think you have a few options. First, I'd find out when you need to respond to the offer or clarify with them if you are unsure. I understand you want to do it as soon as possible, but remember its in your best interest not to feel pressured to respond immediately. I'd either reach out to the program you think or know conflicts with that one and express your interest, "dear admin person, I remain very interested in your program and hope to get the opportunity to attend your recruitment weekend, I was wondering when the interview/recruit weekend is likely planned for and when you will be notifying recruits/interviewees if you have not already. I have been offered an interview that may conflict with your program and I wanted to touch base with you before proceeding" Or something to that effect. I feel like most programs either post their weekend dates or at this stage in the game would be happy to let you know when it'd be happening. And don't worry almost all programs will have a way to make it work if all else fails and you have to make your own visit or an alternative visit weekend. However, I was in a bind where I had thought my top choice had already sent out all their interviews, I ended up saying yes to another school as a result and within 12 hours was called by my top choice for an interview for that very same weekend. It was disappointing to say the least, however, I did not cancel the other program as that was again..poor form... instead I did an alternate interview for my top choice (unideal I know!). I was still admitted. Don't worry about it but remember this: Its not fair to school's to say yes and then no. They either have already purchased airfare for you, rejected or waitlisted other interviewees etc due to your response. A lot of programs have a budget, meaning your airfare eats into their ability to bring others or limits who they can bring. Remember its not all about you, as much as this is your future, it impacts not only other applicants (some of who may be on this very list just waiting to hear good news) as well as your possible future program. Try to be kind in making your decisions and the responsibility of your commitment. Again as soon as I completed my interviews within a week I had made my decision and sent my accept/reject of offers over a month before the deadline (April 15th)...this was in an effort to allow others on waitlist to hear the news they were waiting for.

I see some people have posted Interview invites From UCSD BMS program. Anyone on here get an invite and f so when did you apply? Thanks!!

I applied quite early (mid october) and just heard from them a few days ago. I applied to the Microbiology and Immunology training area. It was weird though, I just got an email telling me telling me to arrange travel. It seems other people got phone calls...ah well I'm showing up regardless! 

When is it acceptable to contact programs that have been sending out invites on our status? I have seen UTSW, UCSF-BMS, Harvard-BBS, UPenn-CAMB, and Emory-IMP on this thread and the results search but have not personally gotten any news. 

Ugh, I know. I've been waiting to hear from UCSF-BMS so I can schedule an interview at another school...I'm guessing it's a no if we don't hear anything tomorrow judging by last years invites. 

I mean I wouldn't count out getting an invite outside of office hours, but I definitely stop compulsively checking my email after 5. I might go insane otherwise.

Yeah, I don't usually check my email too much or expect emails after office hours, so when I got that email saying I got an interview, I was super (and pleasantly) surprised :)

Crap. I just emailed JHU because my application status was "incomplete" despite the fact that they had received all my materials. Turns out that it was because I hadn't submitted a TOEFL score (I'm international). I swear I had read somewhere though that international applicants who had undertaken their degree at an English-based institution were exempt. But I must have just gotten confused with all the other schools... 

On the same boat! I never understood why my application was incomplete but stupidly thought to give it some time. They updated mine (TOEFL waived) but on the portal it says my application was complete today, that looks awful -.-

On the same boat! I never understood why my application was incomplete but stupidly thought to give it some time. They updated mine (TOEFL waived) but on the portal it says my application was complete today, that looks awful -.-

Yup, my story exactly. I thought it was probably a harmless system error, and i didn't want to bother the admissions people further because I had already sent a few emails whilst I was waiting for my transcripts to be received by them. (And their replies gave the sense that they were really busy and didn't really have time to be replying to emails.) So I thought I'd just wait. A friend prompted me to write an email today. 

If it's any consolation my application also states that it was completed today. Did they send you an email notifying that they had waived your TOEFL, or had you also reached out to them yourself?

Yup, my story exactly. I thought it was probably a harmless system error, and i didn't want to bother the admissions people further because I had already sent a few emails whilst I was waiting for my transcripts to be received by them. (And their replies gave the sense that they were really busy and didn't really have time to be replying to emails.) So I thought I'd just wait. A friend prompted me to write an email today. 

If it's any consolation my application also states that it was completed today. Did they send you an email notifying that they had waived your TOEFL, or had you also reached out to them yourself?

I reached out to them myself too. I really don't know if it has held back the review of our application, sincerely hope not -- but I emailed to ask if they did, hopefully they reply soon with... some assurance?

Congrats to everyone on interviews!

I have a question along the same lines as things that have been asked before, so apologies for bringing this up again. Based on the results search, it seems like there are a bunch of programs that don't send out interview invitations until January, for interview weekends as early as mid February. How am I supposed to balance this with programs that have already invited me to interview weekends in February (and require a response soon)? If I get invitations in January, they are bound to conflict, but I feel helpless to do anything about it since I need to inform these other schools long before the January invitations go out. 

Does anyone have advice for dealing with this? I presume I'm just going to have to live with the fact that I'll probably have conflicts if I get invitations in January, but it just feels like a really awkward position to put us in when some schools notify a full month before others. 

I reached out to them myself too. I really don't know if it has held back the review of our application, sincerely hope not -- but I emailed to ask if they did, hopefully they reply soon with... some assurance?

Me too. I emailed them back right away thanking them then following up with whether this had affected my review, got no reply after that. Not sure how to interpret this silence. Maybe they're not allowed to disclose such information. 

Gah. Bummed. I really care a lot about this application.

I've actually received most of my invites after hours. Maybe that's abnormal, or maybe my email is slow, but Ive had them arrive at 9:00pm! Not to add to your craziness and make you hover over your inbox even more, but it's possible to get them later. You also have to consider that if you're in a different time zone than the school you applied to, they're working at different times.

Congrats to everyone on interviews!

I have a question along the same lines as things that have been asked before, so apologies for bringing this up again. Based on the results search, it seems like there are a bunch of programs that don't send out interview invitations until January, for interview weekends as early as mid February. How am I supposed to balance this with programs that have already invited me to interview weekends in February (and require a response soon)? If I get invitations in January, they are bound to conflict, but I feel helpless to do anything about it since I need to inform these other schools long before the January invitations go out. 

Does anyone have advice for dealing with this? I presume I'm just going to have to live with the fact that I'll probably have conflicts if I get invitations in January, but it just feels like a really awkward position to put us in when some schools notify a full month before others. 

I like peachypie's advice -- it's on the previous page (or maybe even two pages back) -- that you should email programs that don't typically reply until January and ask when their interview weekend is. Then you can plan.

@ghostoverground

regarding your lengthy in between time I'll say this.  Typically the more competitive the school the earlier they send out invites.  They are going for top candidates they know are in demand, so you hear from them earlier.  That typically means they also had earlier deadlines for applications too.  Are the ones that typically invite in January some of your top picks?  If so, I'd reach out to them now and ask when they are planning their interview weekends if you want to risk it and pass on another school.  I'd also hope that schools that send out in January understand that they will need alternate weekends for this reason as well.  You won't be the first or last person that has a conflict.  My advice as it was before was to figure your own personal top schools and work from there. 

Ugh, I know. I've been waiting to hear from UCSF-BMS so I can schedule an interview at another school...I'm guessing it's a no if we don't hear anything tomorrow judging by last years invites. 

Don't worry, interview invites are still rolling out for BMS. Lots of problems this year due to a new application system that have delayed the processing of applications. By the end of tomorrow the large majority of invites will be sent out, but there may be some trickle-down over the next week or so. Good luck!