2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

eerrr...I just wanted to clarify because I got a few messages about it: 

2/3 declined interviews I initially accepted and then later declined because I had already been accepted to programs that I liked better/were more highly ranked in my field. If you know you won't be choosing that school over one of your other offers, why keep that interview slot when it could be given to someone who truly wants it?

Then Chicago sent out interview invites at the end of February when I had already decided to go to WashU....

I have since visited UChicago and several people asked me why I didn't choose Chicago..."Because you guys took for-freaking-ever!" 

And congrats to everyone getting interviews! :D

A follow up interview-related question that I'd appreciate some thoughts on:

I just received an invitation to interview with UW's Genome Scienes department, which is great, but just last week I also received an invitation to interview with another UW department. Genome Sciences has a big scheduled Visiting Day thing from Feb 8-10. The other department's Visiting Day (which I already accepted) is scheduled for Feb 20-21. The real kicker is that my POI's are all affiliated with both departments! (There are three of them, and I had spoken to each of them before submitting apps).

What does one do in a situation like this?

I could go to both, but that has the obvious complication of probably repeating interviews..
I could just go to the second since I already agreed to it, but that might offend the first department..
I could contact the POI's / adcom and see what they think..

eek. 

[i fully acknowledge that this isn't the worst problem one could have.]

On 12/17/2014 at 2:11 PM, elkheart said:

A follow up interview-related question that I'd appreciate some thoughts on:

I just received an invitation to interview with UW's Genome Scienes department, which is great, but just last week I also received an invitation to interview with another UW department. Genome Sciences has a big scheduled Visiting Day thing from Feb 8-10. The other department's Visiting Day (which I already accepted) is scheduled for Feb 20-21. The real kicker is that my POI's are all affiliated with both departments! (There are three of them, and I had spoken to each of them before submitting apps).

What does one do in a situation like this?

I could go to both, but that has the obvious complication of probably repeating interviews..

I could just go to the second since I already agreed to it, but that might offend the first department..

I could contact the POI's / adcom and see what they think..

eek. 

[i fully acknowledge that this isn't the worst problem one could have.]

I may have the same problem as you - I applied to UW Microbiology (haven't heard from them yet) and MCB because you can join the same microbiology labs with each! I had originally intended on just applying to Micro, but a friend told me to apply to MCB because they accept more people.

My plan is to go to both, if i get an interview at both - for each I listed 6 faculty in the micro department I'm interested in and I doubt I'll get to interview with everyone at just one of the weekends.

I haven't been in this situation, but I would go with the last option, especially if you're on pretty friendly terms with the POI's. I'd email the POI's and ask them to see which interview they would prefer to see me at or if they had an opinion on what the differences are between the two programs (if there are any) and what their suggestion would be. Otherwise, adcom would probably have better insight. Sorry if I was of little help :x

Congrats btw! ?

Anybody University Connecticut (MCB) applicant know any information about when adcom is supposed to send out interview invitations? The applications were due Dec. 1st, so I think it should be soon...right?

I got an interview invitation from UConn yesterday by email

Anybody University Connecticut (MCB) applicant know any information about when adcom is supposed to send out interview invitations? The applications were due Dec. 1st, so I think it should be soon...right?

Last year I never got invited to interview, I just got accepted in late February. I'm hoping they revamped and now everyone gets to go... Their secretary is extremely helpful (I think her name is Anne) so you can shoot her an email to see what's up this year.

Edit: this was for MCB. I believe the person who mentioned an interview was for BMS, a different program.

Edited by ERR_Alpha

Last year I never got invited to interview, I just got accepted in late February. I'm hoping they revamped and now everyone gets to go... Their secretary is extremely helpful (I think her name is Anne) so you can shoot her an email to see what's up this year.

Edit: this was for MCB. I believe the person who mentioned an interview was for BMS, a different program.

Thanks a lot! Wow that is weird, hopefully they get to. I messaged Anne before, but she hasn't responded (which I don't blame her at all - I'm sure she's probably swamped with a ton of e-mails).

I waited about a week to respond to johns hopkins. I was going to wait to see if I got more interviews first but then I decided it wasn't worth the gamble for such a good program. Ideally I wan't to go to NYC so I responded to Sinai right away (they also gave me a deadline of a few days to respond) and I haven't responded to UPenn yet because according to previous years NYU Sackler and Columbia should be sending out invites soon (maybe this week?)

I'm in the same boat, waiting for invites that, if they come (fingers crossed :) ) probably will within the next few days! But I went ahead and responded this morning. Worst case scenario, I'll have to email and ask to be switched to the other weekend. Wouldn't be fun, but not the biggest deal in the world.

Oh man, I just remembered another user mentioning that the UCSF BMS committee meeting was today. Time to obsessively check my email!

I remembered this today. Killed my phone battery by checking my email so much. Based on past years, I think tomorrow or the next day we should definitely hear some news!

Hey guys, when I clicked on "View Checklist" for my Penn CAMB application today, it said that my English requirements were waived, my GRE scores have been received, etc- but on application status, it says "Materials needed". I have no idea why this is so, it says they have received everything. The only thing that caught my eye is that it says in transcripts that they have received my unofficial transcript, and they require official transcripts for review. I checked up on both of my schools, and they both said they have already sent official copies of the transcripts a month ago. Is anyone else facing the same problem, or is it just me? Can someone who received a Penn CAMB invite tell me if there actually is something wrong with my application, or if I am just being paranoid?

Edited by ForScience!

Hey guys, when I clicked on "View Checklist" for my Penn CAMB application today, it said that my English requirements were waived, my GRE scores have been received, etc- but on application status, it says "Materials needed". I have no idea why this is so, it says they have received everything. The only thing that caught my eye is that it says in transcripts that they have received my unofficial transcript, and they require official transcripts for review. I checked up on both of my schools, and they both said they have already sent official copies of the transcripts a month ago. Is anyone else facing the same problem, or is it just me? Can someone who received a Penn CAMB invite tell me if there actually is something wrong with my application, or if I am just being paranoid?

I've got the same issue, though I'm not on CAMB nor have I received an invite.

It's really annoying because so many interviews have been sent out already and my application remains as "Materials needed".

If it helps allay your concerns, I received a reply from the BGS office (along with some other problems with my application status which were resolved about a week after the deadline) that said that as long as unofficial transcripts have been uploaded, the application will be moved forward to review to the respective graduate groups. 

Was gonna make an account earlier but better late than never

I got an interview invite for Penn (1/22) and Sloan (1/13) though I'm trying to reschedule the one for Sloan because I won't be in the country.

Is that the only sloan interview date? is it the 13th and 14th? That's weird that it's during the week. When did you get the interview invite if you don't mind my asking?

I've got the same issue, though I'm not on CAMB nor have I received an invite.

It's really annoying because so many interviews have been sent out already and my application remains as "Materials needed".

If it helps allay your concerns, I received a reply from the BGS office (along with some other problems with my application status which were resolved about a week after the deadline) that said that as long as unofficial transcripts have been uploaded, the application will be moved forward to review to the respective graduate groups. 

This is depressing :'( Everyone has multiple invites and I am sitting here stuck on one