2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

I posted a while back about an interview conflict with UC Davis and Duke (both genetics & genomics programs). I already committed to Duke and was told by UC Davis a skype interview is the only alternative they can offer. Do skype interviews hurt chances of offers of admittance? It just seems like they wouldn't get as well of a picture of me as an applicant but I understand why it has to be this way.

Congrats on both the interviews! Since you have a valid reason, I don't think a Skype interview will hurt your chances. However you won't be able to gain a perspective of the program without actually visiting their campus and meeting current students. Btw, when did you get both of these invites?

I'll be at Cornell Feb 11-13. I'm so excited they sent out a survey for some broadway shows. I didn't realize that these interviews would be somewhat fun ahha

I'll be there that weekend too and it does seem like it's going to be fun. I hope we get to see a good show though, fingers crossed for Phantom :) I think we also overlap at Sinai. Looking forward to meeting you!

Congrats on both the interviews! Since you have a valid reason, I don't think a Skype interview will hurt your chances. However you won't be able to gain a perspective of the program without actually visiting their campus and meeting current students. Btw, when did you get both of these invites?

Davis was 12/19 and Duke 12/3

Congrats, bsharpe! You might want to hold off on committing to the interview immediately though -- Stanford's interview weekend overlaps with JHU's.

Also, for anyone wondering about UCSF's iPQB program, interview invitations won't be out until next week. 

Congrats, bsharpe! You might want to hold off on committing to the interview immediately though -- Stanford's interview weekend overlaps with JHU's.

Also, for anyone wondering about UCSF's iPQB program, interview invitations won't be out until next week. 

Thanks for the info! Yeah I've noticed that... Both programs fit my interests equally well. Do you know if either offers an alternative date if needed?

@bsharpe: I think Stanford only offers one interview weekend (according to their website, anyway). From what I've heard, Stanford's interview process is more rigorous, so if I hear good news from Stanford, I'll be trying to reschedule the JHU interview. Unfortunately, that's not exactly good advice. I hope the (re)scheduling works out for you. 

So I just noticed people posting results from Stanford on the results page. Good luck to everyone waiting on those decisions :)

^^I second this! I'm also waiting to hear back from them. It seems people have reported phone call & email invites. Does anyone know which we should expect from the Biosciences program (aka, should I keep refreshing my email or turn my volume up)?

^^I second this! I'm also waiting to hear back from them. It seems people have reported phone call & email invites. Does anyone know which we should expect from the Biosciences program (aka, should I keep refreshing my email or turn my volume up)?

There are some posted for Stanford biosciences already, but I assume they do the different home programs in groups. Kinda wishing I never stumbled upon gradcafe in the first place, I could be blissfully unaware of when invites started going out! 

MIT Biology will finish sending their mails by today (Friday Jan 9th).

I'm counting their silence from Dec 1 onwards as a (not unexpected) rejection. 

Edited by berba9

There are some posted for Stanford biosciences already, but I assume they do the different home programs in groups. Kinda wishing I never stumbled upon gradcafe in the first place, I could be blissfully unaware of when invites started going out! 

True, it's probably going by home program. And I know! It satisfies my craziness, but also reinforces it ;)

Just called a few ad comms, UC Davis microbiology is done sending invites and UCLA Bioscience (IMMP home area) is still reviewing. 

This is also true for UCLA Bioscience CDB Home Area (asked via email). They are interviewing until late February and emails might still be sent out.

MIT Biology will finish sending their mails by today (Friday Jan 9th).

I'm counting their silence from Dec 1 onwards as a (not unexpected) rejection.

How do you know this? Have they even begun sending invitations?

Anyone applied to graduate programs at chemical biology and systems biology at Harvard and got news?

I'm applying to harvard chemical biology and still waiting on news.