2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Has anyone asked programs why they were rejected? I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to ask before I go on interviews so I know where my weak points were...I don't want to pester anyone though, I know they receive a ridiculous amount of applications.  

Has anyone asked programs why they were rejected? I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to ask before I go on interviews so I know where my weak points were...I don't want to pester anyone though, I know they receive a ridiculous amount of applications.  

This is such a good idea! I think I read on last year's biology thread that people do ask -- I mean, there has got to be a reason (even if it's because they didn't review all apps -- UW as example), and it's not unreasonable to ask what that reason is. However, I think they asked later in the season, when the program administrators and admissions committees weren't as busy. I think it's fair to ask as soon as you receive a formal rejection.

If you've been rejected you have the right to know. Politely ask what suggestions they have for you to be a more competitive applicant for the next application cycle. 

I did that 4 years ago when I was rejected from programs I applied to and the adcom was super helpful, i spoke on the phone with some of them, corresponded via email and the programs I applied to at the time were not interested in research experience, but instead they were more interested in GPA and GRE scores which make their program appear to be more competitive. In the end it worked out great, those programs were not a good fit. There alumni typically did not end up in research positions but instead ending up in teaching positions (high schools, some college) and this is not conducive with my career trajectory.

I guess I'll stop lurking and contribute a bit. These are my (not so stellar) stats:

Undergrad & Masters: State school

Major: Biochemistry (MS Thesis)

Major: Biochemistry (undergrad) 

Minor: Biology (undergrad)

GPA: 4.0 (MS), 3.39 (BS) Science undergrad was 3.0

Position: don't know

Type of Student: Domestic, female, hispanic, first-generation

Gre Scores

Q: 159

V: 152

AW: 4.0

Research Experience: 

2 years of research experience, one 1st author publication in preparation and one middle author publication also in preparation, one national conference presentation and a seminar talk

Awards: 

Faulconer scholarship (5 years), SMART grant (one year), Alpha Chi membership (3 years), H-LSAMP scholarship (2 years), FASEB MARC travel award, South Texas Doctoral Bridges Program scholarship (as a grad student)

Activities:

I was a biochem tutor from junior-senior year

Special Bonus:

3 strong LORs and perhaps my disadvantaged socio-economic background? Oh and I know the dean of admissions at UTHSCA very well, in fact, she helped me edit my SOP so I think I have a good chance of being admitted to that program.

Applied:

UT Austin (ICMB- Biochem)

Baylor College of Medicine (IMBS)

MD Anderson (GSBS)

UTHSCA (IBMS)

University of Colorado Boulder (Biochem)

Penn State (Biomedical sciences)

Case Western (biomedical sciences)

Harvard (BBS)- Assumed rejection

Cornell (BMCB) -Rejected

University of Washington (MCB) -Rejected

University of Iowa (MCB)- Interview

Duke (biochem)- Interview

Before today I had only received the two rejection e-mails from UW and Cornell. I feel so relieved and excited that in one day I got the Iowa and Duke interview invitation e-mails. I'm still hoping for good news from Colorado and Baylor, as those are my other top schools.

Edited by ribonucleic

I, too, will stop lurking and contribute my information.

Undergrad & Masters: Big, well-respected, state school

Major: Microbiology (not applying for micro PhD programs though)

GPA: > 3.0 but not by much

Type of Student: Domestic, female

Gre Scores

Q: 153

V: 157

AW: 5.0

Research Experience: 

Over 2.5 years post-undergraduate work in my area of interest. 5 publications in a range of journals - authorship somewhere in the middle

year of undergraduate research (1 project/semester)

Awards: 

-

Activities:

Clubs closely related to my personal story and my program of interest.

Special Bonus:

My GPA is very low, but I had a formidable challenge in college directly related to my area of interest.

Three (presumably) excellent letters of recommendation.

Applied:

I applied to 21 programs hoping my application would come across the desk of the right person who could see past my GPA and understand how my past struggles fuel my passion to study my area of interest. I applied to a very wide range of programs that I felt fit my research interests (some perfectly and others loosely). In hind sight, this was way too many programs. That being said, I probably would've nixed the "dreams" and "reaches", many of which have invited me to interview, so I am glad I didn't pair down the list. Luckily I had an assortment of fee waivers and a very supportive husband (who is NOT in my field or anything remotely related), but it still took me almost 3 months ... applying was my part-time job when I came home from my full-time job!! 

Best of luck to everyone and thank you for all of the advice I have seen on this forum!

To whomever was asking: UCSF BMS has sent out all of its interview invites for this cycle. We are interviewing 81 hoping to accept ~60.

Good luck!

Do you know if the Tetrad program is done sending interview invites too?

I'm a little uncomfortable putting my information out there, but I have found other posts very helpful so I would like to contribute. 

Undergrad Institution: State's flagship public university

Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: ~3.8
Overall GPA: ~3.4 (significant upward trend)
Position in Class: Unknown
Type of Student: Domestic Male, non-minority

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 160
V: 161
W: 4.0

MCAT Scores: score (percentile)
Composite: 36 (97.1)
Verbal Reasoning: 10 (83.3)

Physical Sciences: 12 (94.9)

Biological Sciences: 14 (99.4)

Research Experience: Almost 3 years in one lab. 2 years during undergrad and 1 year as a lab tech. All work has been on independent projects. Current work is of my own conception and design, focusing on protein biophysics. No publications.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Invited guest lecturer for an upper division physiology course. Contributed updates to the IUPHAR/BPS Guide to PHARMACOLOGY. Dean's List.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Teaching assistant for Human Physiology and Introductory Biology (1.5 years), Assistant Instructor for Neuroscience Graduate Program "bootcamp" at my University (2 years), organized and led weekly journal club focusing on seminal papers in my field.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Formerly a small business owner and, prior to that, led ECU calibration support for a motorsports company.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Wilderness EMT; Professional Avalanche Rescuer Certification; High-Performance Engine Tuning Certification

Applying to Where:

UCSF -  Tetrad (Rejected)
Harvard - BBS (Rejected)
Columbia - Neuroscience

Columbia - Cellular Physiology and Molecular Biophysics (cautiously optimistic)

WUSTL - Neuroscience (Rejected)

OHSU - Neuroscience (Interview)

University of Utah - Neuroscience

UW-Madison - Neuroscience (Rejected)

UW-Madison - Biophysics (Interview)

Tufts - Biology

Given my background in biology and limited coursework in math and physics, I was reluctant to apply to more biophysics programs but I think this was a mistake. My research has primarily involved protein biophysics and it will continue to be a large part of my research interests moving forward. Additionally, my broad education in biology gives me a different perspective than many of the typical Biophysics applicants, and I feel this has been looked upon favorably in my applications. My advice to anyone who may face a similar dilemma would be to focus less on the statistics and numbers of the programs. Instead, apply to programs that best match your current and future research interests. Don't over-think this decision.

Edited by FunnyCurrent

Given my background in biology and limited coursework in math and physics, I was reluctant to apply to more biophysics programs but I think this was a mistake. My research has primarily involved protein biophysics and it will continue to be a large part of my research interests moving forward. Additionally, my broad education in biology gives me a different perspective than many of the typical Biophysics applicants, and I feel this has been looked upon favorably in my applications. My advice to anyone who may face a similar dilemma would be to focus less on the statistics and numbers of the programs. Instead, apply to programs that best match your current and future research interests. Don't over-think this decision.

I totally agree with that last sentence. I am actually interested in computational biophysics (protein dynamics, stability, allostery). I was also a bit hesitant to apply to biophysics programs due to lack of physics course work. My undergrad degree is in math so I so have the quant background and then my MS is in bioinformatics so I also have the programming. I was nervous about lack of physics work though. I only have one freshman physics course and ended up with a C in it (due to be a dumb freshman who didn't know how to study). I also haven't taken physical chem which I worried could hurt me. I do have As in physical modeling courses, biochem, orgo, and computational structual biochem so those could help offset the negatives. To my surprise, It seems to be going alright so far...Most of my programs seem to send interview invites in mid January but I was invited to interviews for the two that send them earlier. I definitely agree to apply based on research fit, even if you don't have ideal coursework. If you love and know your research area then I think that will come across in you SOP and LORs.

Anyone hear back yet from Microbiology programs at University of Washington or UC Davis? Their deadlines were Dec 15, so I imagine the applications are still being reviewed.

Just got an email from UC Davis today! Interview invite for Feb 5th & 6th. I'm already booked that weekend though so I asked them for an alternate date.

I still haven't heard anything from Washington.

Yay me too! So excited! Which school conflicts with Davis?

Both University of Wisconsin and Cornell are that same weekend (Feb 5th). My flight is already booked for Wisconsin, so I emailed Cornell and UC Davis to ask about alternate weekends and I am waiting to hear back from them.

Hello everyone :)

Well, I've been lurking for a bit, so here are some of my stats so I can contribute something:

Undergrad Institution: USA, State School 
Major(s): Biochemistry, Mathematics
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 4.0 in Biochemistry, ~3.8 in Math 
Overall GPA: ~3.945
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: White. 

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 168
V: 162
W: 5.0

Research Experience: 3 REUs (1 math, 2 science). 1 publication in math. 2 conferences. 2 poster sessions.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 2 travel awards for conferences, 2 math scholarships at school, Phi Beta Kappa (Junior year)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Graded for math and physics classes, for like... 5-6 semesters? Treasurer for our biochem organization, 2 years.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I have survived 2 years of averaging ~19-20 hours of classes per semester ಠ_ಠ surely that counts for something (even if it was self-inflicted)

Special Bonus Points: I'm studying Chinese and Spanish, whoot

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Applying to Where: Emory, WUSTL, University of Oregon, Baylor College of Medicine, Cornell, Harvard .... 

Hella nervous playing the waiting game.

Is anyone going to the interview weekend next week at NYU Sackler? 

Holy #*&% you have an interview NEXT WEEK? How are you feeling? Did they send you a "detailed" schedule for the weekend? How are you feeling?

Sorry, I just feel like #*&% just got real.

I guess to actually answer your question: nope, I won't be there.

Crud!

I created and regularly updated a spreadsheet to track my application progress this season. I hung a huge dry erase board on my wall that I have been making regular use of:  I use this board to remind myself of import things--it hangs right next to my office door and my desk even faces it.  In addition have also been keeping a physical hardcopy (binder) of information relating to my applications.  I thought about every component of each application on a sometimes hourly basis yet for what-ever reason I did not have transcripts sent to any program despite having written on my dry erase board in big 'ol bright red letters "-->Send Transcripts!!!<--" complete with the multiple underlines, exclamations points, arrows and stars.  My brain never made the connection until two days ago.  To add, I only managed to send my GRE scores to four programs, and that was months ago.  This has effectively cut my applications from twelve programs down to four/five:  one has a Jan. 15th deadline (so I'll be close with that one if not too late), two have Feb. 1st deadlines, and two have a final deadline of March 1st.  

The good news is that my top two programs are on that list of four/five and ironically, perhaps, those along with two of the other programs are the original four programs out of five (the 5th being MIT/Woods Hole) that I had put on my grad school dream list a few years.  The fifth program (or fourth if the 1/15 app is not accepted) is my "safety" if I may call it such. 

The other piece of good news is that one of my top choices and still-able-to-apply-to-program is a program at UC Davis.  Being from Sacramento, and having just been home for the Holidays, and having to have also just happened to be in Davis during one of those days, I cold-called the program director to see if I could swing by and check things out.  I called so late in the early-evening that I assumed no one would answer, but someone did-and it was okay for me to stop in for a chat.  We spoke for the better part of a 1/2 hour and I learned of how I can make my application as competitive as possible.  No real insider information of any sort but I do feel more confident about that application than I had felt previously. 

Feeling glad that I still have my top programs to apply to, yet also, despondent. 

Crud!

I created and regularly updated a spreadsheet to track my application progress this season. I hung a huge dry erase board on my wall that I have been making regular use of:  I use this board to remind myself of import things--it hangs right next to my office door and my desk even faces it.  In addition have also been keeping a physical hardcopy (binder) of information relating to my applications.  I thought about every component of each application on a sometimes hourly basis yet for what-ever reason I did not have transcripts sent to any program despite having written on my dry erase board in big 'ol bright red letters "-->Send Transcripts!!!<--" complete with the multiple underlines, exclamations points, arrows and stars.  My brain never made the connection until two days ago.  To add, I only managed to send my GRE scores to four programs, and that was months ago.  This has effectively cut my applications from twelve programs down to four/five:  one has a Jan. 15th deadline (so I'll be close with that one if not too late), two have Feb. 1st deadlines, and two have a final deadline of March 1st.  

The good news is that my top two programs are on that list of four/five and ironically, perhaps, those along with two of the other programs are the original four programs out of five (the 5th being MIT/Woods Hole) that I had put on my grad school dream list a few years.  The fifth program (or fourth if the 1/15 app is not accepted) is my "safety" if I may call it such. 

The other piece of good news is that one of my top choices and still-able-to-apply-to-program is a program at UC Davis.  Being from Sacramento, and having just been home for the Holidays, and having to have also just happened to be in Davis during one of those days, I cold-called the program director to see if I could swing by and check things out.  I called so late in the early-evening that I assumed no one would answer, but someone did-and it was okay for me to stop in for a chat.  We spoke for the better part of a 1/2 hour and I learned of how I can make my application as competitive as possible.  No real insider information of any sort but I do feel more confident about that application than I had felt previously. 

Feeling glad that I still have my top programs to apply to, yet also, despondent. 

That sucks  :( Sorry to hear about that. When were the deadlines for the other programs?