2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Now I've seen several MIT results go up, I guess I believe the Jan. 9th thing after all, oh well!  :mellow:

Where did you see several results go up? I'm new to gradcafe. Can you post the link to the result page please?

One of the programs I applied to had a priority deadline of Dec. 1st ( when my application was turned in) and an official deadline of Jan. 15th. I have yet to hear anything at all from this program, is it to early to make inquiries? 

I know some programs will start reviewing applications after the priority deadline and transition to rolling admissions until the official deadline. I don't know about yours in particular, but I wouldn't ask until a good while after the official deadline.

I too had the Skype interview back in December, and was told that I would hear right after Christmas. I never got the call back. I called their coordinator, Kristen, and she said she would email me a day later regarding the situation. She never did. Despite this, she had told me that a wave of rejections went out and I wasn't on that list. Basically, I believe we are second picks if people reject their offers.

Thanks Ted! It's just that their interview dates is approaching and it's kind of not reasonable not to hear back at this point if we really get the interview...

I contacted Yale BBS to inquire if all interview invitations have been sent out just for some closure and I was told the immunology track is still reviewing applications and that I would be contacted soon if they decide to invite me. So anyone waiting for Yale, there is still hope haha.

Edited by CancerImmune

Well, I'm not going to Baylor it seems. Had a conflict with their interview date, and after asking if I could do a Skype interview instead, got an email with just, "Sounds like it is not going to work out. Good luck."  <_< Uhm, thanks.

That's basically the response I got from Weill Cornell... gee, thanks.

Hey guys, anyone know much about the reputation of NYU Sackler in the community?

I am also wondering this. I know they have a very good MD/PhD program

Edited by quietedge

I am also wondering this. I know they have a very good MD/PhD program

Well, I'm in the NYC area. The big players in terms of research here are Cornell, Sloan, Rockefeller and Columbia. NYU is also pretty well known and respected but I wouldn't say it is as prestigious as the other 4. Just to give you guys an idea, Rockefeller is hosting a talk with Jennifer Doudna for one of their monthly lecture series (for those that don't know her, she's the developer of the CRISPR/Cas9 technology) and I've heard they've invited over scientists before like Yamanaka (iPSCs) and other famous scientists.  

Anyone know if Stanford Biosciences is done sending out invites? I've only seen about half of the home programs represented in the results section.

They are my last school, I just want to know- rejected or not! Probably should wait until the end of the week before bugging the admissions office for my home program. 

I'm surprised schools just don't run twitter pages or blogs where they could easily update if all invites have been sent out for certain programs. Then they wouldn't get a zillion emails/calls from anxious applicants. If I ever magically end up in charge of graduate admissions I will do this! 

They are my last school, I just want to know- rejected or not! Probably should wait until the end of the week before bugging the admissions office for my home program.

I'm surprised schools just don't run twitter pages or blogs where they could easily update if all invites have been sent out for certain programs. Then they wouldn't get a zillion emails/calls from anxious applicants. If I ever magically end up in charge of graduate admissions I will do this!

YES that would be perfect! They have a Facebook (and it looks like they actually use it). I've been checking it hoping they would say something, but no luck: https://m.facebook.com/StanfordBiosciences?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FStanfordBiosciences

Edited by Lana193

Well, I'm in the NYC area. The big players in terms of research here are Cornell, Sloan, Rockefeller and Columbia. NYU is also pretty well known and respected but I wouldn't say it is as prestigious as the other 4. Just to give you guys an idea, Rockefeller is hosting a talk with Jennifer Doudna for one of their monthly lecture series (for those that don't know her, she's the developer of the CRISPR/Cas9 technology) and I've heard they've invited over scientists before like Yamanaka (iPSCs) and other famous scientists.  

Intrigued that you didn't mention Mount Sinai in this list.

So I have a question for you guys: did biology experience a change in the amount of graduate applicants this year (up or down)?

I know some disciplines have seen a decrease in the size of its applicant pool, but the examples I know about were in humanities instead.

Has anyone heard anything from Rockefeller?

Nothing from Rockefeller yet. I called the dean and she said that they are finalizing invites and they may go out this week or next week. Looking at the previous years they went out around this time (last year it was january 14). I'm crossing my fingers!

Edited by expandyourmind