2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Has anyone heard from the Stem Cell Biology & Regenerative Medicine home program at Stanford Bioscience? I'm trying to decide whether I should go ahead and accept a different interview offer that happens on their weekend or hold out hope that they haven't sent invites yet...

Email the program administrator for that home program. The general bioscience email seems to give automated responses. Here's the link to the page with all of the contact info. http://biosciences.stanford.edu/contact/home-programs.html

I'm in the same boat and it's not fun. ):

Email the program administrator for that home program. The general bioscience email seems to give automated responses. Here's the link to the page with all of the contact info. http://biosciences.stanford.edu/contact/home-programs.html

I'm in the same boat and it's not fun. ):

Thanks for the advice, I emailed the home program specifically and got an automatic reply saying "Interview invites will be sent by the beginning of February" Not so helpful...

Edited by swaye15

Has anyone heard from the Stem Cell Biology & Regenerative Medicine home program at Stanford Bioscience? I'm trying to decide whether I should go ahead and accept a different interview offer that happens on their weekend or hold out hope that they haven't sent invites yet...

Yeah, I've been waiting to hear back too. From the few results posted for this home program in past years, I would probably wait until the end of this week as they probably are still reviewing applications.

Just got my first acceptance to The Ohio state University Biomedical Sciences PhD program :D :D

I'M GONNA BE A DOCTOR (but not that kind of doctor)!!!!

Good luck to everyone else waiting to interview/hear back!!!

Whoah congrats! thats super fast!!! did you have an interview?

Best of luck Dr. Amertume!

Thanks for the advice, I emailed the home program specifically and got an automatic reply saying "Interview invites will be sent by the beginning of February" Not so helpful...

At least that's more helpful than Ohio State!  

Went something like this :

Me : Hi my name is Ballwera, I would like an update on my application status if possible.

Admissions: You will need to do this by logging back into your application that you originally submitted.

Me: Thanks for the quick reply! I've done this and my application says it pending / under review. Just wanted to check in, and see if I could get any additional info.

Admissions: I apologize, I thought you meant make an update to your application. You will receive a response once your application has been viewed.

Yeah, I've been waiting to hear back too. From the few results posted for this home program in past years, I would probably wait until the end of this week as they probably are still reviewing applications.

Yeah, I've been consistently stalking the results from the last few years to try and make a projected date for the invites (I was hoping the 12th or 13th) but I guess I'll wait it out.... sigh

Hello:

This is my first time posting to this forum; so, if I have posted in the wrong place please forgive me!

I applied for the PhD microbiology program of a fairly good school and was not accepted. They did however invite me for the MS thesis without funding. I do not have a strong background in microbiology and my bachelor's will be in biomedical sciences. I had a summer internship and my GRE scores were in the 60th percentile. 

That said, I am trying to be positive about this- should I be happy that I at least got into the MS thesis? The coordinator even said that many students transfer to PhD after a year. However, I would have to find my own funding for that first year. 

Please let me know your thoughts on this situation. 

Thank you very much for your time.

MY GPA and GRE scores suck.  They are not just low, they are downright lame (well, according to what I see here on GC and other sites).  I have resigned to the probability that I will most likely have to do a Master's first before Ph.D.  With that, and the concerns that come along with doing a Master's (that is, funding), I have contacted every single program I am applying to or had hoped to apply to.  I have spoken with program directors, department chairs, or both.  Some of these conversations where in-person, the rest, over the phone.  

What I gathered in terms of funding (one of the Master's programs is funded, btw) is that my mentor/advisor, the grad program, or the "grad school" could help me land an on campus job (TA, RA, program director's office, and so on) that would cover the costs of tuition and would give me one year to source other fundings. Of course it is not a guarantee, just an available resource.  

The other option for me would be for me to spend a year or so taking more courses to either boost my GPA or "prove" I have the chops for grad school (in terms of Ph.D. programs) and retake the GRE.  I don't want to do that so I am gun-ho for a Master's.  A third option, and one that has been suggested to me from a few of my programs, would be to spend a year or two working in the field or interning.  My area of interests are rather narrow, limiting where I could gain "lab" experience let alone intern.  The few opportunities available where I live are absolutely swamped with applications because there are only so few available.  To add, many students interested in everything from ecology to marine sciences to atmospheric sciences to statistics to chemistry to... apply for these positions; and many (most?) have top GPAs. 

You are in a better position in that you do not require specific geographical locations to acquire experiences.  Having a BS in microbiology can allow you to find work or internships pretty much anywhere in the country.  If you are feeling iffy about the Master's program you can [more easily than I] get a tech job or internship in a micro lab, work for two years or so, and retake the GRE.  You would be a lot more competitive with your second round of apps this way.  On the flip-side your Master's program would be near complete by this time, which could shave a year or two from the Ph.D. program depending on the program.  Your Master's degree could also help make your Ph.D. application more competitive.  

Only you know for sure what you want to do with your life, and to be frank, if the Master's program would be worth it not.  Here is another way to look at it:  going into debt for something that will increase your earning potential for the rest of your life despite repaying the loan, or, going into debt for a new car that begins depreciation the second you drive off the lot, requires full insurance coverage (not just the State min), and will eventually become *useless*.  

To each their own.  

*I used the new car example because most Americans have an idea that there are good debt (mortgage) and bad debt (credit cards).  Thanks to sensational media coverages over the last few years, student loan debt now falls into the bad debt category for most while car loan debt is somehow considered to be good debt.  

Edited by Crucial BBQ

At least that's more helpful than Ohio State!

Went something like this :

Me : Hi my name is Ballwera, I would like an update on my application status if possible.

Admissions: You will need to do this by logging back into your application that you originally submitted.

Me: Thanks for the quick reply! I've done this and my application says it pending / under review. Just wanted to check in, and see if I could get any additional info.

Admissions: I apologize, I thought you meant make an update to your application. You will receive a response once your application has been viewed.

They're too busy putting out all of the fires and celebrating the national championship win :P

I have spoken 

I have spoken with a graduate student at this program and she has suggested that I try to see what funding options I have with grants, fellowships, even finding a PI willing to support me. She also told me that many in her program switch over to PhD. I would not stop at a masters, I would move on to a PhD. 

Thank you for your input. I don't really have other options as I have my daughter so I cannot move to other areas of the country- this is my only option as far as graduate school goes. 

So, according to your suggestion, I should wait a year and keep applying to the school until I get funding?

My GPA was 3.78 and I have 10,000 in debt from undergrad. 

Thank you for your opinions. 

You have good grades. Take a gap year and work as a Research Tech. and retake your GRE. I wouldn't waste time on the M.S if I were you. That gap year would also give you a chance to be debt free going into a PhD program. 

Congratulationss!!!! 

Congrats!

Whoah congrats! thats super fast!!! did you have an interview?

Best of luck Dr. Amertume!

Thanks, guys!!! :) @expandyourmind I did have an interview. My interview weekend was actually this past weekend from the 8th-10th

Intrigued that you didn't mention Mount Sinai in this list.

So sorry, I thought I replied to you. They're also an excellent school. So I based my answer mostly on how many people recognize the program if they're mentioned off hand. Mount Sinai has a great reputation here in NYC but they're not on the same globally recognized scale as some of the others I mentioned. I wanted to give a comparison of NYU to some of the other schools mentioned here frequently when most people ask about NYC and biomedical PhD programs. I mostly hear around my institution that those are the top programs in the city but that's not a slight on NYU or Mount Sinai, I apologize if it sounded like that.    

At this point no news is bad news right?  I'm wondering mainly about UCSF Tetrad.  Invitations were sent out before Christmas, as mentioned above, but there also haven't been any rejections sent out.  Does that mean the deadline for responding about the interview just hasn't passed yet, and they're sitting on the applications until then?

I realize I am late to join the crowd. Hey, all!

Undergrad Institution: Central Michigan University (USA)Major(s): Psychology, PhilosophyGPA in Major: 3.84 (psy), 3.96 (phil)Overall GPA: 3.74, 3.75 after returning for more classes.Position in Class: Uhh, near the top.Type of Student: Domestic, male

Graduate Institution: Westminster Theological Seminary, Philly (USA)

Program: Master of Arts

Major: Religion: Theological Studies

Overall GPA: 3.67

GRE Scores (revised):Q: 157V: 155W: 5.0B: ?Research Experience: Not much, except senior seminar/thesis projects Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Cum Laude (at graduation)Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutor in philosophy and psychology departments, TA for psychologyAny Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: can translate from German, Greek, HebrewApplying to Where:

• Ohio State (PhD)
  • Ohio U (MA)
  • Purdue (PhD and/or MA)
  • Texas A&M (MA)
  • Texas Tech (MA)
  • Western Michigan (MA)
-- All for philosophy, particularly in early modern studies (with interests in philosophy of religion, all sorts of epistemology, and realist metaphysics)
1.) This is the cell/molecular/biology forum.

2.) Do you accept the unmistakable evidence that all life evolved from a common ancestor over at least 3.5 billion years of geologic time?

-- All for philosophy, particularly in early modern studies (with interests in philosophy of religion, all sorts of epistemology, and realist metaphysics)

I think you're in the wrong subforum.

I heard from USC, but not that program. I heard from MCB Computational Biology & Bioinformatics...sorry, that probably doesn't help. 

No worries, looking at results from previous years they are kind of late in sending out interview notifications. 

Congrats on all your interviews! Looks like you have a busy couple of months ahead.