Fall 2015 Applicants

Thanks, Saidypoo!

I checked in with the other schools and it'll be a while so I decided to accept that offer for now but will consider taking another offer if the opportunity comes up.

I hear ya! I would accept any school that will have me at this point. Lol. From past experience I can tell you that if you're on pending with csulb, you have a loong wait ahead of you. As late as July. It was a sucky wait only to be ultimately rejected. Same for csula.

Yup. I'm pending at csulb and they did mention that it could be as late as July. It's my first time applying but I don't wait to wait another year and reapply again later. I hated the process. I applied early December for CSULA and as of Tuesday this week, they still didn't review my application. They did mention I'll hear back by the end up of March though so that's something I guess? Ha

I'm thinking about making that move as well.

Yea, I don't want to do the process all over again so I'll totally go to csudh. So long as I can do mental health, I'm happ . If you applied to CSULA, they said they contact people regarding a decision by the end of March.

Yea, I don't want to do the process all over again so I'll totally go to csudh. So long as I can do mental health, I'm happ . If you applied to CSULA, they said they contact people regarding a decision by the end of March.

And I'll see you at CSUDH in Fall!!!

I am applying to both Fordham University and NYU for Fall 2015 MSW admissions: for those who have already completed the program, what were your experiences at either? I am currently in the process of brainstorming for my SOP and am finding it rather difficult to begin...  

@Jalapeno_bagel, what time of day did you get the interview email for Hunter? My status says pending interview now, and I'm checking my email constantly so a time frame would be helpful! lol

I can't remember because I saw the email when I got home from work, and now it just says "2 days ago" not the time. But my application status said "pending interview" for over a month after I applied, so I think that just implies that you are waiting to see if you get an interview. 

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum (although a member on TM).  My wife is applying to MSW programs as I apply to programs in yet a different discipline.  One of the things that has been scaring us is that it seems like MSW programs have very limited funding.  We are both white (although she has native american in her, she isn't registered or anything), and she will be first generation college graduate.  She has been interested in Arizona state because of their joint program with CPS, and the associated funding.  Most other programs seem like they are going to require us to take out extraordinary loans.

I was wandering if anyone could indicate how likely it is to find funding within the program that is not advertised.  For example, I am currently completing graduate work, and although funding was advertised as being non-existent, once I arrived there were options within the department (for TA), and also options within the "school" for TA/other positions that would at least offer tuition remission if not a stipend also.  Does this type of thing happen in Social work?  Is it common?

If you need more information, just let me know.  We'll need to make a decision on where we are moving in the next month or 2 months, and we're like to have full information.  (Of course we can ask departments, but as per the information on the websites, graduate directors seem to be similarly tight-lipped about options that aren't explicitely listed on their website).  

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum (although a member on TM).  My wife is applying to MSW programs as I apply to programs in yet a different discipline.  One of the things that has been scaring us is that it seems like MSW programs have very limited funding.  We are both white (although she has native american in her, she isn't registered or anything), and she will be first generation college graduate.  She has been interested in Arizona state because of their joint program with CPS, and the associated funding.  Most other programs seem like they are going to require us to take out extraordinary loans.

I was wandering if anyone could indicate how likely it is to find funding within the program that is not advertised.  For example, I am currently completing graduate work, and although funding was advertised as being non-existent, once I arrived there were options within the department (for TA), and also options within the "school" for TA/other positions that would at least offer tuition remission if not a stipend also.  Does this type of thing happen in Social work?  Is it common?

If you need more information, just let me know.  We'll need to make a decision on where we are moving in the next month or 2 months, and we're like to have full information.  (Of course we can ask departments, but as per the information on the websites, graduate directors seem to be similarly tight-lipped about options that aren't explicitely listed on their website).  

There is not a lot of hope out there for funding a MSW. Usually you will get a small amount of help from the school but unless you are the best of the best, you are not going to find a full ride and large amount coming from the school. Getting into a MSW program is quite difficult and has a large applicant pool which leads to schools not having to give large amounts of funding to students because either way they will fill their incoming class. You can research online, independent scholarships based on your wife's background. You stated that she has Native American roots, you can start with a search for that. Most scholarships are competitive and require an essay BUT if she meets the criteria then I would say that these could be of some help! Getting a MSW is expensive and there are not many ways to get around it. If your wife has previous federal loans, you can call and ask about the 10 year program for service workers. This can also apply after she would graduate with a MSW. Unfortunately, having an undergraduate degree in the social work field will leave you barely making bills and looking to move up to have financial security. Is a MSW worth it? It is worth having an extra 100,000 dollars in debt for school to make only about 15,000 dollars more a year? It may be worth it if a person is looking to become a LCSW or go on for a PHD but sometimes working in the field is just as important. Bottom line, any graduate program is expensive and will increase your chances of finding non-entry level positions. I would research independent scholarships, look into the 10 year program with federal loans, call financial aid at the school, and possibly talk to a current MSW or previous MSW student. This is what I plan on doing! Best of luck to you and your wife! 

There is not a lot of hope out there for funding a MSW. Usually you will get a small amount of help from the school but unless you are the best of the best, you are not going to find a full ride and large amount coming from the school. Getting into a MSW program is quite difficult and has a large applicant pool which leads to schools not having to give large amounts of funding to students because either way they will fill their incoming class. You can research online, independent scholarships based on your wife's background. You stated that she has Native American roots, you can start with a search for that. Most scholarships are competitive and require an essay BUT if she meets the criteria then I would say that these could be of some help! Getting a MSW is expensive and there are not many ways to get around it. If your wife has previous federal loans, you can call and ask about the 10 year program for service workers. This can also apply after she would graduate with a MSW. Unfortunately, having an undergraduate degree in the social work field will leave you barely making bills and looking to move up to have financial security. Is a MSW worth it? It is worth having an extra 100,000 dollars in debt for school to make only about 15,000 dollars more a year? It may be worth it if a person is looking to become a LCSW or go on for a PHD but sometimes working in the field is just as important. Bottom line, any graduate program is expensive and will increase your chances of finding non-entry level positions. I would research independent scholarships, look into the 10 year program with federal loans, call financial aid at the school, and possibly talk to a current MSW or previous MSW student. This is what I plan on doing! Best of luck to you and your wife! 

Also contact the MSW program and ask about teaching apprenticeships! 

Also contact the MSW program and ask about teaching apprenticeships! 

Thank you so much for all your help-and this helps a lot.  So far PITT has offered a little funding, and others a very small amount.  but it is still looking like it'll be around 20-50k.  That's one reason why Tulane looks appealing, i think, to her.  Tulane's program is 1 Fall, 1 spring, and 1 summer - then you're done 9 months earlier than most programs.  She didn't do an undergrad in SW, so she isn't qualified for any of the "express" paths that are open to BSW graduates.  

I have told my wife this many times, but I really respect what everyone in the social work field does, especially now learning of the level of debt (and thereby the obvious commitment) it takes.  

BTW, with regard to the teaching apprenticeships, what does this refer to?  is this like being a TA?

One of the options that was open to me (after I was accepted, but not known previously) was that the university offered some "graduate assistantships" to graduate students for "administrative" roles that required no departmental specialization.  These involved things like working for the registrar, not anything within a department.  We are currently at a large state flagship school (>40k students).  They typically offered tuition remission, but no stipend.  If anyone has heard of these type of positions at other school, that would be good information to know.  This was kind of what I was hoping for her as a backup.  

Thanks again for your feedback!  I'm sorry if this should have been in its' own thread, but this seemed appropriate.

econ_friendly, I think you mentioned that ASU has a program in conjunction with child protective services? I think many schools offer a similar option, where the government will pay for some/all of your graduate degree if you agree to work for CPS for at least 2 years after you graduate (at least this is also the case with Univeristy of Texas Austin). If your wife is interested in working with children and families, this could be a good path.

If she's interested in healthcare social work, certain positions in that industry also provide loan forgiveness options, you can find more info here: http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/

In terms of scholarships, it varies greatly depending on the school (I really doubt Tulane will be your cheapest option to be honest). If your wife has the ability to go to a state school, that would certainly be cheapest. It seems private schools have more scholarship money to give, but the initial tuition rates tend to be higher. Good luck!

@kurkz, I dont think the issue ofthe lack of funding for MSW students is due to the size of the applicant pools as much as it has to do with prestige and the nature of the program. Many research based Master's and especially PhD programs also get way more applications than they need to fill their incoming student quotas, but the difference between research based graduate programs and MSW programs is that research based programs can often increase the prestige and the reputation of a school. Therefore, when a university admits a student into such a program, they are often making an investment in that student in hopes that the student will potentially output something that will up the reputation of that school, hence the funding provided for such students. In the case of MSW programs, which are professional rather than research based programs, research is not usually a large component in the curriculum, so usually the school won't get much in return out of educating such students in that field. Thus, funding for social work programs is more limited.

econ_friendly, I think you mentioned that ASU has a program in conjunction with child protective services? I think many schools offer a similar option, where the government will pay for some/all of your graduate degree if you agree to work for CPS for at least 2 years after you graduate (at least this is also the case with Univeristy of Texas Austin). If your wife is interested in working with children and families, this could be a good path.

If she's interested in healthcare social work, certain positions in that industry also provide loan forgiveness options, you can find more info here: http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/

In terms of scholarships, it varies greatly depending on the school (I really doubt Tulane will be your cheapest option to be honest). If your wife has the ability to go to a state school, that would certainly be cheapest. It seems private schools have more scholarship money to give, but the initial tuition rates tend to be higher. Good luck!

Thank you for this information!  That's very helpful.

We're going to look into one city-based options exist.  I was really hoping that something like the CPS agreement that exists with ASU might exist semi-informally across many cities, but that it was something you had to look into rather than being a formal relationship with a university.