Grad school attire?

schoolpsycher

Depends; i wear a button down almost every day i teach, t-shirts when i just do research. If i'm presenting i wear nice slacks. You can really wear what ever you want tbh.

In my program we wear whatever we want.  I've seen members of my cohort in yoga pants.  I've seen members of my cohort in a 3 piece suit.  I've seen members of my cohort in between.  My building gets really cold so I have gone to class dressed in street clothes wrapped in a blanket.  

In other words, wear whatever you want.

In my program, you'd fit in pretty well dressing like you live on someone else's couch.

Might be a research-based science thing, but I generally wouldn't worry about it unless you know your program has expectations. 

I wear dark jeans and a nicer t-shirt (no logos, writing, etc.). If I was teaching, I might wear a blouse instead.

I don't think it really matters what you wear, as long as you don't look scummy or lazy, because it comes off as unprofessional. I wouldn't overdress everyday either, just because I tend to be more casual. You can gauge what you wear based on what other students in your department wear.

It also can vary across departments. In my forestry department, people will wear shorts and an oversized t-shirt everyday with tennis shoes. Some departments may be more formal than that.

I'm in shorts for another few weeks (bulky knee braces are "fun"), but I try to at least stick with jeans shorts. Lots of sleeveless shirts/tank tops (because it's August), t-shirts some days, everything clean and not a complete mess. 

I *did* remember to grab jeans shorts to change into after physical therapy today, since workout-type shorts are more comfortable there (but not at all class-worthy, if they can be avoided). 

The people in my program don't dress particularly formally, but they definitely don't look like undergrads. I don't know how to describe it other than to say I wasn't able to pick any of my TAs out of the crowd during lecture. I saw one pair of yoga pants at orientation and they turned out to be on a member of our newish undergrad program.

Today to go to the library, then class, then work, I wore navy pants rolled at the ankle, a new/in good condition v-neck t-shirt, pointed flats, and a flowered scarf. I wore pretty much the same thing to work all summer, or the same thing with a sleeveless blouse, and I feel pretty normal.

At my old job, where I met with patients, I would hang onto things that were work appropriate but that I didn't like just because they were formal. Then I'd wear my lab coat over them. I don't have patients or a lab coat yet here so I'm more casual but I also look nicer. Most people here are casual yet look nice. Like we're forever going to brunch!

I wear a variety of outfits: skinny jeans or corduroys with different tops (usually not T-shirts though), leggings/tights under tunics, skirts, and dresses. I like wearing jackets in the fall/winter (field jackets, leather motos, all sorts). While it's still warm I'll be wearing dresses often (I wear shorts under my dresses but not on their own). 

For shoes I usually wear flats or boots, but I will occasionally wear wedges if I'm in the mood. 

I've seen mostly jeans and T-shirts/sweatshirts/sweaters in my classes, but I haven't felt too out of place. I see plenty of undergrads in yoga pants and athletic shorts, which I haven't really seen among my grad cohort. 

I've noticed that in my department most folks wear more business casual / formal businesswear.  It's because we're in a more business professional enviornment, and alot of the folks are already working in those types of fields (government), and they come straight from work (as do myself).

On weekends, I would just go to school wearing comfortable but nice clothing.  The way I see it, networking is huge and you never know who you will meet and when.... I dress to at least give a decent first impression.

The way I see it, networking is huge and you never know who you will meet and when.... I dress to at least give a decent first impression.

I agree. I consider my program to be one loooooong job interview and dress accordingly. Most students look like they just threw on whatever though.

The grad student I'm shadowing wore jeans and a button down to TA then promptly changed back into athletic shorts and tshirt upon entering lab. Exemplifies the TA vs research dress code fairly well.

I dress in business casual when I'm TAing or attending talks or other events. (Lots of skirts and blouses, dresses, etc.) When I just have class, I don't worry so much and stick to jeans and tshirts and the like. I'm dressing a lot nicer than I did in undergrad, but part of that has to do with personal preferences and being in my late-20s now compared to an 18-year old undergrad. My department is a good mix of this casual and business casual, so it really depends on the nature of your program and persona preference.

While I have only been in my program for a week it seems that most of my colleagues wear jeans with a nice® shirt but those of us who have class then go TA tend to be a little more dressy -- I wore some slacks from J. Crew with a dressier polo (it was almost 100 degrees). During my orientation I wore a button down.

I imagine as with most situations the "dressiness" of our attire will decrease as the semester goes on.

Depends on the culture of your program.

I wore a Darth Vader t-shirt and jean shorts to teach last Friday. Thursday, when I went to class, my t-shirt said, "Ask my about my AD/HD Highway to Hey a squirrel!" My Thursday class is a research methods course that grad students from several disciplines take every semester. There are two folks from the business school, one in public policy, and one in some profession blah blah blah that I didn't catch. The business school and professional blah blah blah wear formal business wear. Seriously, they're totally dressed to be an ADA on a Law & Order episode at any time. I'm a total shlub next to them. The public policy student is somewhere between business formal and business casual, more Sunday School Teacher Formal than anything.

I consider dress to be text, ergo, the way one dresses is defined by the rhetorical situation: what your purpose for the text (persuasive, informative, entertaining---bearing in mind that all text is persuasive when accounting for ethos)? who is your audience? what is the genre (business school, art school, going to a concert, meeting the parents for the first time)? who is the rhetor (who am I supposed to be for the occasion)? There's also medium, but it's clothing and accessories, duh.

• 2 weeks later...

Please, please, please, do not wear bright magenta sweatpants, even if you're just going to class. That's what I used to buy for my toddler.

Haha. I used to go to a school where a similar color was the school's official color. TONS of people wore those sweatpants, at least especially for undergrad.

Personally, the idea of wearing cute graphic tees to class has made me uncomfortable; although I don't think there's any sort of dress code, my field tends to joke about being best dressed. I have loads of cartoon shirts & whatnots, but I wear them on the weekends/at home. it also helps me feel a better work/play divide.

Of course, to me, clothing is less "text" and more art ;) . So for my field: what is its style? form and shape? are there patterns? what colors are used? complimentary or contrasting? what about sizes of the outfit - cropped, oversize, fitted, etc? what about the textures and textiles at play -- leather, suede, silk, cotton, wools? is it symmetrical or asymmetrical, does your line flow? is there volume, and does it vary? how do the shapes and colors complement your body? is it modeled after a stylistic period? e.g.: 20's "flapper" style, 80's angles and colors, etc. What imagery are you recalling, and how are you seen? Who will be seeing you, what is going to be looked at first, is a unified 'style' evident in what you wear? What ornamentation have you added, and of what kind -- jewelry, bags, shoes, watches, etc.

I wear something close(ish) to business casual, though am decidedly more liberal with the fashion aspects: I stick to slacks, ponte pants, chinos, and dark/black jeans. Sometimes I'll wear a lighter washed jean. Ponte pants are thicker than leggings and have the nice stretchy-ness of them. They look a little more polished than a general legging, and can be warmer for those worried about fall/winter chills.

My jersey tees are usually classic cut/solid or patterned, fitted rather than "boxy". I also have blouses (button up and otherwise), patterned and solid print dresses -- I'm most fond of wrap, a-line, shift cuts, pencil and a-line skirts, scarves of various sizes and colors/patterns, and i have three bags: one in dark brown, one in red brown, and one in tan. I'll probably add a black bag so that my neutrals are "covered". Then I have flats, loafers, oxfords, and motorcycle boots. My shoes/bags tend to be neutral so that I can show off colors in my clothes. Nice colored chinos are great for that - gold, navy, maroon,etc. This may sound "boring" but my department is fine with fashion -- I spice up with tights, jewelry, scarves, I think i can get away with more in this respect because it's so "artsy", and I can be more colorful and daring than say, the law students or MBAs.

Some of us go for chunky knits and leggings; denim button downs and gold bracelets, etc. These are all fine...but I think looking "schlubby" for class would stand out in a bad way here. Although apparently one (woman) professor looks down on high heels. Some sort of assault against "feminism" in her mind, I guess.

I'm hoping to add to my exercise wardrobe however, I need a good few changes of clothes to hit the gym with.

Edited by zigzag

This question gets a bit more complicated at six months pregnant, let me tell you! I refuse to buy a maternity wardrobe for just for work, given that this is a temporary condition and maternity clothes can be pricey. I wear a pair of maternity jeans when I'm going to class as a student, and then long stretchy skirts or gaucho pants to class when I teach. As winter comes, I imagine I'll primarily wear maternity jeans and commit to lots of layers. 

Zigzag--there is such a thing as cute bright pink sweatpants, but, trust me, these were not it! No adult should be caught wearing them ever!

I know another grad student who mostly wore yoga style pants with skinny strap tank tops to class and to research team meetings. I don't think the female professor looked favorably upon it (turns out she had a poor opinion of this student for various reasons; I think it would have helped to have dressed a little more professionally).

The culture at my institution is definitely more business casual for female professors, with a tiny bit of hip/trendy thrown. I'm not saying that people shouldn't wear what they want, but... the reality (and perhaps normative pressure) is for grad students to at least look like they put some thought into what they are wearing and not look like they just hopped out of bed. For me, however, even sneakers, jeans, and a t-shirt (graphic or plain) look a little too relaxed. It screams, "I'm a grad student" and not "I'm an up-and-coming teacher researcher." But, of course, that's my own particular lens... others may not care what you look like as long as you're smart and can do the work.

Edited by wildviolet