First Year Students Fall 2014 How's It Going

Threeboysmom

So I basically had my first grad school breakdown tonight. I have my first major paper and practical exam this week, and I suddenly got super overwhelmed and felt like I couldn't breathe for a second haha. It probably doesn't help that I've been in school for 4 weeks already, but our teachers have not been able to give us ONE piece of feedback for any of our assignments (despite their incessant apologies), so I have no idea if I'm doing anything right and many of our assignments build off previous ones. Maybe if I get some good feedback soon I'll feel better, but right now I'm just doubting myself and wondering how I can possibly get everything done in time. Being out of school for 2 years also makes this a little harder.. Ugh, someone please tell me it gets better :unsure:

I'm almost through week 5 now and the first round of midterms and I'm feeling okay-ish. I'll feel better once my grades for my midterms come out and I can have some numbers to make me feel better.

So how did you guys fair with your exams? Schoolpsycher how did you manage with your paper?

Edited by Threeboysmom

I feel very lucky and extremely grateful that I got accepted on a full fellowship and with a great RA position in a lab that greatly interests me. I actually started working in the lab before school started, so I've been in the grad school mode since May and a lot of great stuff happened since then. I am publishing my first paper with my PI, and am getting ready to start our next one. I dove deeply into my research and am a little tired already, so I am joining at least one club this next week to work a little bit on my social life. 

I am also taking classes and had my first exam in one of them this past week. One of my classes is overwhelmingly hard and I am freaking out about it. My quals are in less than a year from now, so yeah, I am doing well but definitely super busy in grad school...

Wow! Already publishing, and getting ready to start on your next one? I'm jealous! Sounds like you're doing so well!

Feeling MUCH better since my last post! Despite my freaking out, I somehow passed my first practical exam (with an A, even  :)) and got some good feedback from another class I was worried about. The work isn't slowing down at all, but I'm definitely relieved and feeling more capable after finally getting some grades back. Hope everyone else is settling in more too!

Edited by schoolpsycher

We've had different orientations sessions last week and classes officially started last Thursday. Having classes only Mo, Tu and Wed, we'll practically start tomorrow but we've had the syllabi, suggested readings, powerpoints, handouts etc ahead of time to do lots of reading before classes even start.

I'm freaking out now because we've moved last month and there were lots of stuff to take care of... and I'm already exhausted even before classes start...

We've had different orientations sessions last week and classes officially started last Thursday. Having classes only Mo, Tu and Wed, we'll practically start tomorrow but we've had the syllabi, suggested readings, powerpoints, handouts etc ahead of time to do lots of reading before classes even start.

I'm freaking out now because we've moved last month and there were lots of stuff to take care of... and I'm already exhausted even before classes start...

Totally relating to your post, educdoc. I moved (and it was only a local move!) but it took a lot out of me. All the loading and also downsizing and then moving in one single not-so-big car, with not a lot of help. I had wanted more time to prepare for my first couple of week's readings but my employer had me working until the very last minute so by the time I was free of work, I had to jump into moving sans any studying/reading. This took a few days (again, locally!!) Was far too busy to attend various welcome events around campus, but did make it to one bbq where I had some interesting conversations with a few people in a related area, and also a campus housing meeting which took far longer than it should have (I regret eating the pizza though…not really into junk food!). 

Had been planning to get ahead on my first week of classes but at least NOW I can focus better.  And my new apartment looks less like a disaster zone now that I've been organizing here and there, but still not as nice as I want it.

So far, I feel I am somewhat on time with my reading, but this feels behind schedule to me. And I might be adding a half-course. So I need to get ahead, damn my slow reading habits!  Time for me to pick it up! :)

Edited by Coconut Water

Feeling MUCH better since my last post! Despite my freaking out, I somehow passed my first practical exam (with an A, even  :)) and got some good feedback from another class I was worried about. The work isn't slowing down at all, but I'm definitely relieved and feeling more capable after finally getting some grades back. Hope everyone else is settling in more too!

Glad to hear you passed with an A. Way to go!

First midterm done and two papers turned in the same day. I did my best and I was prepared for the midterm despite two of my children being ill.

"That which does not kill me, makes me stronger. " Nietzche

Sooooo many research papers. Research papers everywhere!  Aaaaaggghhhhh, they're after me! They want my soul!  Aaaaggghhhhh!

And everytime I kill off a research paper, there's a grant application staring me in the face.  :blink:

My only real complaint is that I will soon be on the receiving end of about 20 one page essays that I'll need to read and grade.  I despise grading essays! I can't even imagine teaching English 101 with 250 students. 

I'm about to start week 3 (we run on quarters) and decided to drop my 4th language course, and just take a regular courseload :( I was coping, but had zero time for anything aside from studying, which I figured was unsustainable. My advisor was really cool about it, but I feel like a bit of a failure. My regular courses are going well though, getting through pretty much all the reading and enjoying them for the most part. Turning in my 2nd paper today and doing 2 in-class presentations this week. Hoping that there might be some feedback soon.

I had a stretch a few weeks ago when I felt really lost in my program. I seem to have more free time than everyone else in my cohort because I don't TA and I don't have to run experiments until summer because of the nature of my research. I have to go to Costa Rica to do anything, so of course I can't be there while I'm taking classes on campus.

I finally realized that it doesn't matter what other students in my program are doing. My job for now is to read and think. I don't have a lot of work that has a tangible result, but who cares?

I'm starting to recognize that it's okay to not always be busy. I get my work done in about 40-50 hours per week and then I relax by playing video games for hours upon hours in my free time. I think one of my best choices this semester has been to join a game club on campus that meets from 8 until midnight on Thursdays. I've made some good friends who will hang out with me when I need to relax. I am also producing work equal to (or greater than in some cases) my peers' work when we do have proposals due, and my plans are still on track for graduation in 5 years even allowing for unexpected problems. As long as I'm not falling behind, I'll keep letting myself enjoy my free time.

To anyone else who was in my situation a few weeks ago, remember to enjoy grad school. Remember to live your life and not treat this as years of torture before you begin your real life with a job. It's okay to have free time and not always be busy. Take a few minutes at the end of each day to be proud of where you are and your accomplishments.

Also, as a side note, don't overload yourself because you think it's what you're supposed to do. And don't worry about perfect grades. In most cases, your program is about research more than courses. So stay focused on that. In my case, I give myself a certain number of hours for a course task and whatever I end up with is what I submit even if I get a B instead of an A.

I feel like I need to work on balancing workload and fun time. I've been yo-yo-ing between working extremely hard and intensely to the point where I stay on campus in the library until 11pm every day and finish my assignments two days early one week and going out for happy hour every night and partying on the weekend the next. There's got to be a healthy balance here somewhere … I just have to find it.

So apparently first year of grad school is cursed for medical problems... My blood tests may indicate Celiacs. Appointment in two weeks with a gastroenterologist :(

The awesome thing about being diagnosed with Celiac is that you start feeling better pretty much immediately when you stop eating gluten (and any other foods which you might have become unable to digest from having a damaged intestine). The less awesome thing is you might have to wait til all the testing is completed until you're given the go-ahead to stop eating gluten. I was diagnosed about 2.5 years ago and it improved my quality of life drastically. So this might be a blessing in disguise, in the long run!

The awesome thing about being diagnosed with Celiac is that you start feeling better pretty much immediately when you stop eating gluten (and any other foods which you might have become unable to digest from having a damaged intestine). The less awesome thing is you might have to wait til all the testing is completed until you're given the go-ahead to stop eating gluten. I was diagnosed about 2.5 years ago and it improved my quality of life drastically. So this might be a blessing in disguise, in the long run!

Yes, make sure you eat gluten leading up to the test! A friend of mine whose family all has celiac was on a gluten-free diet before she had her test and it came back negative... they had never instructed her to eat gluten! Then her insurance wouldn't pay for another one. :(

Yes, make sure you eat gluten leading up to the test! A friend of mine whose family all has celiac was on a gluten-free diet before she had her test and it came back negative... they had never instructed her to eat gluten! Then her insurance wouldn't pay for another one. :(

Thanks everyone! Yeah my PA made sure to tell me this. And now it's got me thinking all those days I feel generally like crap for no apparent reason could go away which is encouraging. I'll know for sure soon.

I think, in addition to all the BS going on in my life and the huge differences between the two programs, I finally figured out why I'm not enjoying this masters as much as I enjoyed the last. I'm in adrenaline withdrawal. As much as my job ran me ragged and made me crazy, I miss it now. Being stationary in class for so many hours and then spending countless hours sitting doing homework is boring the hell out of me. I have copious amounts of work that keeps me very occupied, but my brain isn't going through the adrenaline peaks and plateaus that it used to go through when I was working. I have no motivation to do anything right now. It's bad.